C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1967 Corvette Brake Bleed troubles

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 12:23 PM
pacekr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1967 Corvette Brake Bleed troubles

Hi Guys,

I just installed a brand new SS brake system. New lines, master cylinder, and brake booster. The master cylinder is from Lonestar.

I'm having problems bleeding the brake. It does not seem the fluid is flowing out of the master cylinder.

I have it connected up and i am using a handheld suction device to pull the fluid from the master cylinder to the caliper.

What am I doing wrong. I can seem to get any flow out of the master cylinder.

Kind Regards,
Daryl
Old 07-08-2012, 12:36 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

I never had any success with any of the suction devices. I use a Motive Power power bleeder, and it'll bleed any Corvette disc brake system in ten minutes.

Did you bench-bleed the master cylinder first?
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
I never had any success with any of the suction devices. I use a Motive Power power bleeder, and it'll bleed any Corvette disc brake system in ten minutes.

Did you bench-bleed the master cylinder first?
John:

and I will buy one of these the next time I do a full brake job.

However, for almost 50 years of doing brake jobs on cars, I have always had success doing it the old fashioned way, with the girlfriend or wife pumping the brakes while I turn the wrenches.

My wife of 42 years knows the brake bleeding procedure better than me.

Larry
Old 07-08-2012, 03:23 PM
tednphx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a master cylinder problem on my 67 convertible and after bench bleeding the new unit we tried to bleed the individual calipers. Tried the old method of open-pump-close with no success. Messed around for another half day and finally took my friend's advise and gravity bled each caliper. I was shooked to find that I had a firm pedal. Jack the car up all around and put it on stands . Open the bleeders and place a pan under each caliper. Make sure you don't empty the master. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:15 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Powershift
John:

and I will buy one of these the next time I do a full brake job.

However, for almost 50 years of doing brake jobs on cars, I have always had success doing it the old fashioned way, with the girlfriend or wife pumping the brakes while I turn the wrenches.

My wife of 42 years knows the brake bleeding procedure better than me.

Larry

Take JohnZ's advice. I had the same problem you do now. I tried with my wife pumping the peddle. We performed that operation 3 times and I never got a firm peddle. Went to the Motive Power Bleeder and got the adapter for my 66 MC. Bled the system by myself and had firm peddle for the first time in 20+ years.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:24 AM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 288 Likes on 163 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by JohnZ
I agree John, I've had one for 7-8 years now. It takes me more time to jack the car up and removed the tires/wheels than it does to bleed the brakes at all 6 locations.

DonO
Old 07-09-2012, 01:18 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Did it for the first time using the Motive tool on the complete system overhaul of my 67 this spring. I would never attempt it any other way again. Less than 30 minutes to do the entire job, including bleeding of the MC on the car (no need to bench bleed it).

Get notified of new replies

To 1967 Corvette Brake Bleed troubles

Quick Reply: 1967 Corvette Brake Bleed troubles