C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

NEWBIE Corvette School: CL 1963 CONV

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Default NEWBIE Corvette School: CL 1963 CONV

See, I learned something already... some of you hate to see VERT in the title!

Anyway.

I posted a Green 67 I saw on Craigslist last week, and got some great feedback from you guys in response.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...39k-ny-cl.html

Upfront, I hope to be looking to buy a nice driver for the low/mid 30s in the fall, and am working on my Corvette education while I am saving pennies to hopefully be ready then.

What I will want is a Mechanically Sound Car that is as close to stock as possible for my budget, but not concerned with Top Flight/Judging. Mechanically sound because I a neophyte with a wrench (BUT WILLING TO LEARN). I need to be able to drive the car and fix the deficiencies on the weekends or in the winter.

So
I see this car and go ga-ga,
Red 63 Corvette Convertible $36.9K
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/3128430369.html
but I don't really know what I am looking at

More pics here
https://picasaweb.google.com/1037502...CPOt2-OYjOv7cw
I am sure this one will be gone soon, but here the description

1963 C2 - Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Roadster

Rust-Free Southern Car, title in hand

with 4-wheel Disk Brakes

1963 Corvette C2 "Mid-Year", with non - numbers matching 300+ HP 327Ci V8, and 4-speed manual transmission. Four wheel disk brakes upgrade. The car also has real knock off aluminum wheels.

History:

Car in enclosed storage in Alabama from 1993 -- 2009 (16 years)

Major frame-on restoration completed in Missouri in 2011

Drivetrain restoration included:

1967 300hp, 327 fully rebuilt
Muncie M21 4 speed transmission rebuilt
New HDI distributor, coil, wires
New Radiator, expansion tank cap, hoses, clamps
New Edelbrock intake manifold, and Performer 1405 600 CFM carburetor
New Edelbrock aluminum valve covers
New Chrome Air Cleaner and Element
New clutch, and balanced flywheel
New headers, exhaust, mufflers and rear bezels

Suspension restoration included:

New control arm bushings and hardware
Front end parts replaced as required including ball joint, tie rod end, etc.
New shocks
New front springs and re-curved rear spring
Brake refresh (1965, 4 wheel disks already installed)
SS braided brake lines

Body and interior restoration included:
Started with Excellent Original body had almost zero fiberglass cracking.
Frame inspected, in excellent condition left as-is
Body stripped to bare glass, doors re-aligned / adjusted
New Dupont Base, clear coat paint applied. Original Riverside Red color #923
New convertible top
New rugs
New fuel tank & sending unit
New headlight motors
New wiring from firewall

Last edited by Revfan; 07-09-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:50 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Sounds like a great driver! Although not 100% "correct". It's had a LOT of the stuff you would need to make it a reliable driver.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:56 PM
gofastvette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking 'roadster'........
Old 07-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

I had to chuckle when I saw the NCRS plates. If you’re looking for originality, that’s not you’re car. I see 20-30 mods in the engine compartment and interior shots alone. It looks like a real smorgasbord of parts.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Revfan,
Please slow down. I have followed your posts, so I know your intentions are good.
But, there are SO MANY non original items on this car I would get tired typing them all.
IMHO the green car you posted last week was much closer to original. Biggest thing that one needed was a paint job...........
Old 07-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike67nv
I had to chuckle when I saw the NCRS plates
I thought the exact same thing
Old 07-09-2012, 04:26 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by RYanulis
Revfan,
Please slow down. I have followed your posts, so I know your intentions are good.
But, there are SO MANY non original items on this car I would get tired typing them all.
IMHO the green car you posted last week was much closer to original. Biggest thing that one needed was a paint job...........
Although full of non original parts. It appears to have had a lot of work done. I also question the "no hit" body. Front end looks like british teeth. But if it could be had in the low 30s.

If the OP wants anything close to original? This isn't it. He will pay a lot more for anything close to original or properly restored. He needs to keep looking.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:46 PM
waltonb123
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Revfan

Upfront, I hope to be looking to buy a nice driver for the low/mid 30s in the fall, and am working on my Corvette education while I am saving pennies to hopefully be ready then.

What I will want is a Mechanically Sound Car that is as close to stock as possible for my budget, but not concerned with Top Flight/Judging.
It actually looks like what he is describing, a nice mid-thirties driver. Originality is great when you have the budget. My only suggestion is if you go with one like this, don't get caught up with trying to make it original later cause you'll spend way more than its worth. Ask me how I know.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:38 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MiguelsC2
Although full of non original parts. It appears to have had a lot of work done. I also question the "no hit" body. Front end looks like british teeth. But if it could be had in the low 30s.
Driver's side headlight bucket is wonky, same side of the hood is sitting low, etc.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:03 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

'63 with a '66 hood, convert top looks wonky could just be adjustment, headers with wires laying on top, no ignition shielding, wrong engine who knows about the rest of the driveline, wrong master cylinder(but that's an improvement) wrong distributor, imo the '67 is a far better car for about the same money....if you can put up with the paint, don't forget that '67's seem to be the pride of the fleet ... my .02c

Last edited by vt65; 07-09-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vt65
imo the '67 is a far better car for about the same money
I Agree
I have looked over these two cars carefully. They are both about the same money, but completely different cars in my opinion.
There are MANY things on the Red car that I would never be happy with (look at the dash over the glove box for example) The Red car is shiny and clean, but that is where it ends.
The Green car is more genuine and MUCH more original. Not to mention that it is a '67 (some think that increases the value) it has both tops, and most importantly it has Factory Air.
The only detriment I see about the Green car is that it needs to be painted, and that can be fixed.

If it were my money, I would choose the Green car, hands down (and that comes from a guy who absolutely prefers a '63 over a '67)
Old 07-10-2012, 10:10 AM
waltonb123
Pro

I Agree
I have looked over these two cars carefully. They are both about the same money, but completely different cars in my opinion.
There are MANY things on the Red car that I would never be happy with (look at the dash over the glove box for example) The Red car is shiny and clean, but that is where it ends.
The Green car is more genuine and MUCH more original. Not to mention that it is a '67 (some think that increases the value) it has both tops, and most importantly it has Factory Air.
The only detriment I see about the Green car is that it needs to be painted, and that can be fixed.

If it were my money, I would choose the Green car, hands down (and that comes from a guy who absolutely prefers a '63 over a '67)
I'm kinda talkin out my butt because I haven't looked back to see the 67, however, if it's the same money...about $35k, and then paint on top your now at $42k? Just sayin, you can do a lot of correcting for less money. Now, if I saw both cars up close and personal I may not make this argument. How's that for wishie washie?
Old 07-10-2012, 10:30 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

"restoration in MO in 2011?" Lots of overspray underneath, not a careful job. Shoddy in the engine bay as mentioned, and lots incorrect and missing. Do they have receipts and photos of the car before during and after? Looks like a car fixed up to sell, period. Has curb appeal. Proof that all the parts they list went into the car would help a lot!

I would say despite all these things IF it's solid and drives out nice it's probably a market buy in the very high 20's to the very low 30's. Actually, I could see it being fun for that amount.

Plug wires will last approximately 5 more miles where they are laying.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by waltonb123
I haven't looked back to see the 67, however, if it's the same money...about $35k, and then paint on top your now at $42k? Just sayin, you can do a lot of correcting for less money
I will go on to make the following statements in an attempt to HELP the OP.
What we are talking about here is a difference in opinions.
I strongly believe that you should buy the BEST car that your budget can afford. In the long run you will be better off paying more up front for a better quality car (my opinion)
The way I see it, the Red car has been "run thru the mill", tons of mis matched parts.
The Green car is in the same "price range" mid thirty's. But, the Green car does not look nearly as cobbed up, plus it has 2 tops and factory air.
My point is...........in the future you can easily improve the Green car by adding a new paint job, but with the Red car you are stuck with all the non original parts unless you want to dig yourself into a huge financial hole.

Just my opinion
Old 07-10-2012, 11:01 AM
waltonb123
Pro

I will go on to make the following statements in an attempt to HELP the OP.
What we are talking about here is a difference in opinions.
I strongly believe that you should buy the BEST car that your budget can afford. In the long run you will be better off paying more up front for a better quality car (my opinion)
The way I see it, the Red car has been "run thru the mill", tons of mis matched parts.
The Green car is in the same "price range" mid thirty's. But, the Green car does not look nearly as cobbed up, plus it has 2 tops and factory air.
My point is...........in the future you can easily improve the Green car by adding a new paint job, but with the Red car you are stuck with all the non original parts unless you want to dig yourself into a huge financial hole.

Just my opinion
All good and valid points! I personally agree with you, BUT...all I was trying to say is if your not worried about originality, (and i think that is what he said)and you want a good looking driver that you wouldn't be embarrassed cruisin around in, this is not a bad looking car for the money. It all depends on inspection and how it is mechanically.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:21 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by waltonb123
All good and valid points! I personally agree with you, BUT...all I was trying to say is if your not worried about originality, (and i think that is what he said)and you want a good looking driver that you wouldn't be embarrassed cruisin around in, this is not a bad looking car for the money. It all depends on inspection and how it is mechanically.
Dependent on price, I'm most certainly with you. The car isn't trash, and cars of that caliber fill an important segment. Yep!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:22 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,274 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Generally speaking for the first time midyear buyer IMHO: the longer the hunt the happier the buyer.

Get notified of new replies

To NEWBIE Corvette School: CL 1963 CONV

Quick Reply: NEWBIE Corvette School: CL 1963 CONV