C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Now what could be going on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 07:36 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Now what could be going on?

I had a brake booster that was hanging up, so I purchased a new booster from Summit. As you all know, the only adjustment I had to make was the rod from the pedal to the booster and the rod from the booster to the master.

I went from brakes that would sometimes hang up a little, to almost no brakes. I adjusted the rod all the way in on the booster and the master slid on with no pressure. I lengthened the rod a bit and it took some pressure to seat the master, so I put it back where I had it.

The old booster was almost too sensitive and this one won't stop the car. I checked that I had a good vacuum at the connection to the booster.

When I start the car, the pedal doesn't go down at all and seems very hard. But when I step on the brakes the idle goes up a bit (200rpm), and then when I take my foot off the brake the engine idles down again to where it is supposed to be.

What am I missing?
Old 07-11-2012, 07:53 PM
66CorvetteCoupe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad check valve I am guessing?
Old 07-11-2012, 07:54 PM
steampunk c1
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

maybe leaking diaphram in booster. booster opertion test is to pump pedal with motor stoped hold pedal down and start motor and you will feel the pedal sink with the booster kicking in.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:51 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by steampunk c1
maybe leaking diaphram in booster. booster opertion test is to pump pedal with motor stoped hold pedal down and start motor and you will feel the pedal sink with the booster kicking in.
Mine doesn't do that.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:42 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,028 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

You should be able to suck through, with your mouth, the source side of the check valve, but not blow through. I don't know if these can be hooked up backwards but make sure.

Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Now what could be going on?

Quick Reply: Now what could be going on?