C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67Elkhart Restomod - getting started/good news

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 10:09 AM
slalomfiend
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 26 Posts

Default 67Elkhart Restomod - getting started/good news

I finished the '49 Ford F1 so started the demo/investigation on my '67 Elkhart/Teal/White project. It'll take quite a bit of glass work to get it right (lots of Bubba work to fix the right front hit), but good news on the birdcage/windshield frame. Was told the car hadn't been on the road since '74 due to blown engine (327/350 that it doesn't have anymore) but you never know if the stories are true - odometer does read 43k miles though. Was expecting rust rot and found super smooth window track metal, original paint and factory primer! Yes, we can still do the HAPPY DANCE!!! On the inside, just a little surface rust that made the firewall pad stick to the steel. I'll get the body dolly made this weekend and pull the body soon. Frame has some rust, will report out on that when I can.

BTW, I would like to remove the various metal plates that are riveted to the glass and clean/re-prime/paint, is there a specific type of rivet (supplier??) and gun that any of you use that you can recommend?

Old 07-14-2012, 09:15 AM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Do a search for riveting tool there was a thread a few months back.
Mark
Old 07-14-2012, 04:17 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by slalomfiend
BTW, I would like to remove the various metal plates that are riveted to the glass and clean/re-prime/paint, is there a specific type of rivet (supplier??) and gun that any of you use that you can recommend?
All you need is a cheap air hammer, a mini-regulator, and a 3/16" rivet set shank. "Aircraft Spruce" and "Aircraft Tool Supply Co." have the rivet set shanks. Paragon has the soft aluminum 3/16" body rivets.
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2012, 04:53 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Looks like the guys already gave you all the right answers for your riveting needs. Good luck with the project, Elkhart 67 is one of my favorites!

Get notified of new replies

To 67Elkhart Restomod - getting started/good news

Quick Reply: 67Elkhart Restomod - getting started/good news