C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 Rally Rim Caps - Sit Flush on Wheel or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Default 67 Rally Rim Caps - Sit Flush on Wheel or Not?

Finally took off the air shocks and Centerline rims off my 61 Vette. The air shocks were necessary due to the shallow backspacing on the rear 15x7's. There should be 'some' improvement in ride quality but probably not much considering it's still got 50-leaf rear springs and Traction Masters. The upper radius rods have been removed. While I'm deciding on which 5-spoke wheel to get to replace the Centerlines, I'm temporarily going to run on an old set of 15x6 rallys I had around. The rallys are from various years (some 67, some 69 full size) but they all appear to have the same centers and the same 3.5 backspacing. I threw on the 67 Rally caps I had and found the caps don't sit all the way down on the wheel. There's about a 3/16 gap all around. Obviously not a big deal since they are just temporary rollers but was curious if this is the way the caps are supposed to sit or should they sit flush to the wheel?
Thanks,
Mike T.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

No spec exists that I know of for fit. If the cap "pops" over the little bumps, and you can feel the resistance when you pull on it, they are snapped on. Dennis
Old 07-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Dennis, I'd have to say 'yes' to that but it's not as positive a pop as I might have expected. I've only put on two of the caps so far and one of them has apparently been a bit 'tweaked' on the skirt part that should snap over the raised portions of the wheel but the other cap that has not been touched, has the same issue. Seems to be on there well enough that I would really have to work on it to pull them off by hand but that gap looks odd to me. While I've had a number of early Rally Wheel sets (had 6-inch rallys on two midyears), I never ran the caps. I had the original full size wheel covers on them. I guess in the end, the gap is no big deal.
Thanks,
Mike T.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If it's just on the front they are probably hitting the dust cap on the hub. you can temporarily remove the cap and run the centers if you want.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

The fronts seem to have the same uniform 3/16 gap as the rears. The front hubs on my 61 are SSBC disc rotors and it appears they don't contact the Rally Caps.
Mike T.

Get notified of new replies

To 67 Rally Rim Caps - Sit Flush on Wheel or Not?

Quick Reply: 67 Rally Rim Caps - Sit Flush on Wheel or Not?