C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1966 Chevrolet Corvette: Restoration Fraud

Old 08-02-2012, 02:56 PM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 362 Likes on 168 Posts

If the car was a theft recovery, when it was recovered, the original VIN was known and recorded in records. Assuming the original VIN plate was missing the assigned VIN would have been issued and became GAxxxx in GA where new records were issued for GAxxxx, it would not take rocket science to uncover that information, thus giving the original VIN as built. Apparently someone decided to put the number back on the vehicle, the body trim tag would identify build sequence and can confirm or deny it is consistent with the original number. Anything that got replaced engine, trans, frame, etc., with the original VIN would be extremely hard to detect to a non-knowing eye thus it could prove authenticity of the original VIN. Point is there is/was a record of the GAxxxx number and what the original VIN was when recovered. Any title issued after theft recovery would have had the GAxxxx number not the original VIN. Someone put a non GM VIN plate on the car matching the original VIN.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:10 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by flamed01
If the car was a theft recovery, when it was recovered, the original VIN was known and recorded in records. Assuming the original VIN plate was missing the assigned VIN would have been issued and became GAxxxx in GA where new records were issued for GAxxxx, it would not take rocket science to uncover that information, thus giving the original VIN as built. Apparently someone decided to put the number back on the vehicle, the body trim tag would identify build sequence and can confirm or deny it is consistent with the original number. Anything that got replaced engine, trans, frame, etc., with the original VIN would be extremely hard to detect to a non-knowing eye thus it could prove authenticity of the original VIN. Point is there is/was a record of the GAxxxx number and what the original VIN was when recovered. Any title issued after theft recovery would have had the GAxxxx number not the original VIN. Someone put a non GM VIN plate on the car matching the original VIN.
If you bought and sold Corvettes for a living, would you notice the GAxxxx Georgia sequence on the rebuilt title looks nothing like a typical C2 GM VIN #?

My whole problem with this story is that the owner claims he had no idea it was a recovered once stolen vehicle. I've only owned one Corvette, but if I had seen this, I would know I needed to do some homework. Especially if I bought it from an auto body collision center.

We don't know who stamped/forged the original VIN # onto a fake metal plate (crime), since with each title transfer, the state DMV does not physically see the vehicle, but handles the paper only recording. So why a knee jerk reaction and put someone in jail who might or might not have done it?
Old 08-02-2012, 03:20 PM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast
If you bought and sold Corvettes for a living, would you notice the GAxxxx Georgia sequence on the rebuilt title looks nothing like a typical C2 GM VIN #?

My whole problem with this story is that the owner claims he had no idea it was a recovered once stolen vehicle. I've only owned one Corvette, but if I had seen this, I would know I needed to do some homework. Especially if I bought it from an auto body collision center.

We don't know who stamped/forged the original VIN # onto a fake metal plate (crime), since with each title transfer, the state DMV does not physically see the vehicle, but handles the paper only recording. So why a knee jerk reaction and put someone in jail who might or might not have done it?
Agreed! But the current owner had a title and car with VIN plate that matched. The match was for a production corvette VIN, the one that had become GAxxxx. He owned a car with no GAxxxx on the title or VIN. Someone else saw to that.

I would suspect in the investigation they know when the title and car VIN were changed.

That is my take on it, the Gaxxxx stuff appears to have surfaced or come to light during the investigation.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:30 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Agreed! But the current owner had a title and car with VIN plate that matched. The match was for a production corvette VIN, the one that had become GAxxxx. He owned a car with no GAxxxx on the title or VIN. Someone else saw to that.

I would suspect in the investigation they know when the title and car VIN were changed.

That is my take on it, the Gaxxxx stuff appears to have surfaced or come to light during the investigation.
This is where we disagree. You say the GM VIN # is the only one on the title. I say the Georgia # is on the title.

Given the laws being the same in Georgia and New York on the rebuilt title matter, that Georgia # cannot be removed. So how would an original GM VIN # get on a title of a vehicle recorded in the states as a stolen/recovered vehicle and not include the state ID #? Even if we imagined someone put the fake metal GM VIN plate on goes to the state and says, hey I want a salvage title, then applies for a rebuilt title, the DMV checks the number. I don't see a way around it. Unless the title is a fake, would be the only way to get a title with original GM VIN # rather than the recovered state ID #.

Then the question is, who put the fake VIN plate on, the auto body collision center, or the professional restorer, or someone else from the past, since the DMV never looks at the actual car?
Old 08-02-2012, 04:01 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

There is ONE VIN # on a title, never two. Someone trashed the GA VIN title and got a new title with the alleged GM VIN #. Simple to do if you know how. This person bought this car with GM VIN #. Therefore he would not have a reason to suspect clouded history. Again, this is not a rebuilt title, which is a "branded" title, and totally different.

Last edited by hope2; 08-02-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:14 PM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast
This is where we disagree. You say the GM VIN # is the only one on the title. I say the Georgia # is on the title.

Given the laws being the same in Georgia and New York on the rebuilt title matter, that Georgia # cannot be removed. So how would an original GM VIN # get on a title of a vehicle recorded in the states as a stolen/recovered vehicle and not include the state ID #? Even if we imagined someone put the fake metal GM VIN plate on goes to the state and says, hey I want a salvage title, then applies for a rebuilt title, the DMV checks the number. I don't see a way around it. Unless the title is a fake, would be the only way to get a title with original GM VIN # rather than the recovered state ID #.

Then the question is, who put the fake VIN plate on, the auto body collision center, or the professional restorer, or someone else from the past, since the DMV never looks at the actual car?
Have you seen the title? I was told it carried only the 1966 VIN which matched the fraudulent VIN plate by someone that has seen the title.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:23 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

We don't know what VIN was on the title.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Old 08-02-2012, 04:34 PM
hope2
Safety Car

From the charges levied against Ellis. it would cause one to believe the GM VIN # was on the title. If he sold the car with the correct title, would be a civil matter, and it is not.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:46 PM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Unless I am mistaken, NCRS would not have accepted the vehicle for judging if the title did not match the VIN plate. I could be wrong but that is my understanding. So that kind of indicates they matched and it got at least to the judging field.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:02 PM
hope2
Safety Car

" NCRS does not consider the restoration or replacement of components as counterfeit as long as the intent is to restore the car to its former or original state as it left the factory. "
Old 08-02-2012, 05:16 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by hope2
From the charges levied against Ellis. it would cause one to believe the GM VIN # was on the title. If he sold the car with the correct title, would be a civil matter, and it is not.
The title doesn't need to be presented - only the registration. The car was disqualified because of the obviously fake VIN plate.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:20 PM
hope2
Safety Car

The title doesn't need to be presented - only the registration. The car was disqualified because of the obviously fake VIN plate.
believe you quoted the wrong poster here, but the registration should match the title, no? flamed01 has a valid point.

Last edited by hope2; 08-02-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Thomas66
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I get it. I thought that the title had gone from mfg VIN to GA # and back to mfg VIN again.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:31 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

You can sue anybody for anything. And most lawyers do just that!

The buyer will only recover the difference in value. And he will have to prove that in court. Good luck.

This all to force the seller into an out of court settlement. Or to break him trying to defend himself.

I am not fond of MOST lawyers. I am even less fond of people who sue at the drop of a hat.

TORT REFORM!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 07:45 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

And that's what will tell the whole story.

When new, it had a Chev. VIN on the title. When it was recovered from the theft, it was issued a Ga. state VIN on the title. If it still has the Ga. VIN, the current owner is S.O.L. and nothing more than a whiner. If it has a Chev. VIN, it will be easy to trace when and who had it changed and that person is screwed.

Originally Posted by MiguelsC2
You can sue anybody for anything. And most lawyers do just that!
I am not fond of MOST lawyers. I am even less fond of people who sue at the drop of a hat.

TORT REFORM!!!
My favorite joke: What's the difference between a lawyer and a catfish? One is a scum eating bottom feeder, the other is a fish.

Jim
Old 08-02-2012, 08:06 PM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1snake
And that's what will tell the whole story.

When new, it had a Chev. VIN on the title. When it was recovered from the theft, it was issued a Ga. state VIN on the title. If it still has the Ga. VIN, the current owner is S.O.L. and nothing more than a whiner. If it has a Chev. VIN, it will be easy to trace when and who had it changed and that person is screwed.
My bet is that is why multiple counts of felony charges were filed.

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 Chevrolet Corvette: Restoration Fraud

Old 08-02-2012, 08:13 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

My bet is that is why multiple counts of felony charges were filed.
However, the current owner acknowledged that it had a Ga. VIN tag on it.

Jim
Old 08-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
When new, it had a Chev. VIN on the title. When it was recovered from the theft, it was issued a Ga. state VIN on the title. If it still has the Ga. VIN, the current owner is S.O.L. and nothing more than a whiner. If it has a Chev. VIN, it will be easy to trace when and who had it changed and that person is screwed
I agree...........
The way I see it, 1snake's statement is dead on
Old 08-02-2012, 08:50 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

All this over a god damn 5 dollar trophy or certificate. What do you bet this guy got picked on in the school yard as a kid. I also believe that he is playing the "poor old me: card in all this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1966 Chevrolet Corvette: Restoration Fraud