C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Replace fan clutch with spacer help

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8corvette
I couldn't get them on other wise.
I have always wondered about that. It is one of the curiosities of nature. When you tighten them unmodified, they end up even and function as lock washers. However, if you even the ends before tightening, then they are not lock washers. When installed, they are exactly the same either way.

Another curiosity of nature is how eating a five ounce cheese cake can make you gain several pounds. This just defies the laws of nature!
Why not just buy some longer bolts?
Old 08-06-2012, 07:58 AM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hitch
Why not just buy some longer bolts?
I am not good at verbal descriptions. The shape of the spacer is kind of like a mushroom with a flattened base. The top of the spacer prevents a longer screw from being inserted into the bottom hole.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:10 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

However, if you even the ends before tightening, then they are not lock washers. When installed, they are exactly the same either way.
The split lock washer functions in two ways.

The "split" tends to bite into the fastener head and the fastened part if the fastener tries to loosen.

The split lock washer also provides TENSION on the threads of the fastener and this also keeps the fastener from loosening.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:01 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I am not good at verbal descriptions. The shape of the spacer is kind of like a mushroom with a flattened base. The top of the spacer prevents a longer screw from being inserted into the bottom hole.
Simply screw the appropriate length shouldered studs into the water pump flange, slide your spacer over the studs and lock it down with lock washers and nuts.

Better still, just go buy a new fan clutch.

Last edited by MikeM; 08-06-2012 at 09:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Replace fan clutch with spacer help