C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Garage Find

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 02:22 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 746 Likes on 243 Posts

Default Garage Find

Im on quite a roller coaster ride in the past 24 hrs. I was at a local cruise last night and was standing beside a 66 coupe. A guy I know asked me if I might be looking for a corvette of that style. I said sure and he proceeded to tell me about an old guy that he did some work for a while back and that he had a 66 coupe in the garage that he would probably sell. So I got directions and went there this morning. Nobody knows about this car because it has been parked for so long. Sure enough there sat a 66 Coupe in the garage. The guy says he will sell it but hes not sure what he wants. I don't know what it's worth either. The details are he is the original owner and it only has 26k on the clock. The interior looks brand new except a few flakes off of the console. It has the original motor and I believe it to be a 327? No side pipes. It is maroon with tannish interior. The head liner is sagging but it's unreal how nice the inside is. 4 speed. I have heard so much about the "bird cage" so I looked for signs of flakes or staining on the carpet up around the front of the door and there is no signs of any stains. I also took a picture up under the glove box the best I could and it looks brand new if it's the "bird cage". The guy told me he might have had it in the rain 1 time. I have pics of under it and under the hood but I cant post pics till I get home later and I know this will help alot. I did sustain a light fender bender to the nose at some point the guy told me but he had it fixed. I had a car buddy of mine look at it and he said it looks good and the way he could tell was he could see a 2nd layer of laquer in the chip. One concern of mine is I can't find the vin #! I looked in the door jam but it's not there? I will post pics tonight, but could you guys give me a ball park at what I'm looking at price wise?
Old 08-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Geralds57
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 596 Likes on 361 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Great find!! The VIN number is not on the door jam. It's located underneath the glove box door. You'll also find the trim tag next to it. Take a picture and post it also. It's tough to give an accurate estimate without a little more info. Pic's would help, but options like A/C, P/S, P/B, P/W, etc. will increase the value. Check the VIN on the block too. Does it turn over by hand or starter? If he gives a price you can live with, don't hesitate too many days and give him time to change his mind or tell somebody he's selling it. It would be nice if he comes in under 35K IMO. If he's not sure either, start low and work your way up.

Last edited by Geralds57; 08-12-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:32 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonsamara
One concern of mine is I can't find the vin #! I looked in the door jam but it's not there?
The VIN plate AND the trim tag are riveted to the cross-brace just below the glove box door, and are essential in determining the car's as-built configuration (and its value).
Old 08-12-2012, 03:16 PM
70mph@2200rpm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since it's been sitting in a garage (climate controlled?)for so long, where (climate wise) is it located?
Old 08-12-2012, 09:42 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Default Pictures!

So the guy never made it back today so I could get pics of the vin, but I talked to him on the phone and it has no power options and is just a basic 300hp car he says. I have posted pics of what I do have. The one pic where you can just barely see carpet is up under the glove box and I'm hoping this is part of the bird cage. The pic where you can see wires is under the drivers side. Please tell me what you think and what you think I'm looking at price wise because he will sell the car, but he is talking about an apraiser.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR

BUY IT......

BEFORE YOU KICK YOURSELF
Old 08-12-2012, 09:52 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Default last pic

Last pic looks like the cat loved that 66 vette.

Frame looks great. I'd be all over it if I were you.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:09 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

It looks like a real nice find. The un-glued headliner is no big deal. The interior really is in beautiful condition.

I'm not sure what's going on under the hood, with the string on the expansion tank.

So is that car hiding somewhere here in NJ? The inspection sticker in the first picture, sure looks a lot like an old NJ sticker.

I'd have to say if the owner has an appraiser look at it, he's probably going to want more for the car, then it's really worth. From my experience with appraisers, they usually seem to over appraise the value. Especially on "collector cars".

Good luck, and try not to let that car get away!
Old 08-12-2012, 10:15 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
It looks like a real nice find. The un-glued headliner is no big deal. The interior really is in beautiful condition.
Agree 100%

I'm not sure what's going on under the hood, with the string on the expansion tank.
Access to the battery?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:16 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

In all those shots I see nothing that concerns me. So far so good! Good find!
Old 08-12-2012, 10:17 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

So you guys that have made these deals in the past give me some advice. I have dug up a few old vettes and nobody ever want to sell. This is by far the nicest one I have found and the guy will sell it. I have been told take $25k with me tomorrow cash and offer it and try to get the guy to sell it fast. So is there a certain strategy here? The only reason he is selling is because he is older in years and has health problems. I can go up to $40k cash but what do you guys think this car is worth? 25 seems low to me and I really don't want to insult the guy. I have never bought a car older than a 1992 so I'm lost on how to go about it. I'm probably to honest of a guy and I already told him even if we dont come to an agreement I hope I have made a new friend. I'm taking my Z06 over tomorrow because he loves cars and really want to see it. So could you guys give me a price range? I mean is this a $40k car or $70k car?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:18 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

The one pic where you can just barely see carpet is up under the glove box and I'm hoping this is part of the bird cage.
Unfortunately, no that is just carpeting, firewall insulation, and the heater box.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:19 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

So could you guys give me a price range? I mean is this a $40k car or $70k car?
If the engine is original, the VIN and TRIM tags check out, it looks like a really nice, honest car with rare HEADRESTS. I'd probably go 35k, considering how nice the interior and dash area look.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:25 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

If it were me I would probably offer in the 30-35K range. That should not be insulting and is in the ballpark.

Don
Old 08-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

I am not an expert.
But, I can definitely tell you 25k is very low and 70k is high.

Hopefully someone else can narrow it down to a smaller range.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

The mechanicals may need attention. Brakes, suspension bushings, maybe front and rear springs. Rear wheel bearings. Assuming the engine has not been stored properly or turned over, it may have cylinder rust...rebuild time. Figure on spending 5K for the above if you do the work. 30K tops. Dennis
Old 08-13-2012, 12:29 AM
70mph@2200rpm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
The mechanicals may need attention. Brakes, suspension bushings, maybe front and rear springs. Rear wheel bearings. Assuming the engine has not been stored properly or turned over, it may have cylinder rust...rebuild time. Figure on spending 5K for the above if you do the work. 30K tops. Dennis
That's exactly what I was going to say.
Here's the final thing to consider. Is this the car that you want...color combo, lack of power options, plus the expenses of getting it on the road? The reason that I ask is that a car similar to this, running w/o any immediate problems, will probably cost you in the mid to high $30k. So if you buy this car for over $30k, + the approximate $5k in misc. expenses, you might find that you will have the same investment had you purchased one exactly to your liking. You should really educate yourself on the differences between the C-2 years, and all of the many options that were offered.
GL

Get notified of new replies

To Garage Find

Old 08-13-2012, 12:50 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
My feelings exactly. Plan on spending $5000 AFTER. Now you might get lucky, and only spend 25-30, but each mechanicl and cosmetic issue gets expensive. TIRES....BRAKES...there is a quick 2000 right there.

Nice car. I know of a 65 yellow 365hp with air conditiong that just sold for 49, and I thought that was a good buy.

ASK THE OWNER:
''DO YOU HAVE THE WINDOW STICKER OR PROTECTO PLATE WARANTEE INFO THAT CAME WITH THE CAR WHEN NEW?''

If so, it will add $$$ to the value.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:29 AM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Do your homework first !

I think 25g is all the money 4 this car. If you can do most of the work yourself 5 g wounld be be a safe estimate to get the car in fair driver condition. If you plan to have someone else do most of the work you better up that to 10g.
Sometimes these cars are parked because they are in need of major repairs .
You would still b safe at 35g in a fair driver 66 . I wouldn't want to have 40g in it .

JNO Bill
Old 08-13-2012, 08:12 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 63split63
I think 25g is all the money 4 this car. If you can do most of the work yourself 5 g wounld be be a safe estimate to get the car in fair driver condition. If you plan to have someone else do most of the work you better up that to 10g.
Sometimes these cars are parked because they are in need of major repairs .
You would still b safe at 35g in a fair driver 66 . I wouldn't want to have 40g in it .

JNO Bill
mostly, that is to say, you'd want to have about $40k in it, so, think about what you'd pay initially, then what more will need done to it, either by you ($5k) or someone else ($10k), so that you end up somewhere around $40k "all in".

Quick Reply: Garage Find