C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

big block intake fit under stock hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 04:39 PM
rdznrx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default big block intake fit under stock hood

i have a 66 427 coupe im wondering what intake i can use and retain the original hood it is a big block hood, i have oval port heads right now I'm running a edelbrock performer 2-0 and dont care for the small port design can someone please give suggestions before i spend money and find out the hard way that it wont fit, im looking at the weiand stealth but am unsure any help thanks
Old 08-12-2012, 08:14 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Unless you change the heads I am not sure how you will get away from the "small" port design (whatever that means). I am currently running a Weiand 8013 manifold on my 390. It is supposed to be the clone to the 425 manifold but with oval ports. Here is one for sale on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...nd+8013&_rdc=1

PS Just to let you know, my hood has been hitting the air cleaner for quite some time. Not sure if it is a function of the manifold being to high or if my hood was installed and set to low in the rear. I raised the hood in the rear by extending the latching pegs. Hopefully that will help.

Last edited by 66BlkBB; 08-12-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:49 PM
RoudyRick
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Just to update my working setup, I have large oval heads (GM alum HP 391) and ports in the manifold. If you use too small of a filter element you'll restrict the air flow to the carb. Something to think about Somehow raising the rear of the hood just doesn't sound right to me. JMO

Last edited by RoudyRick; 06-09-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:10 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

RoudyRick...you've technically got rectangular ports...though they are smaller than the iron versions. Those aluminum's run pretty good for an OEM head.The factory just screwed the 427/425 type intake on them and they did OK even with some mismatch.

The Performer 2.0 has port openings closer to the "peanut port" style which is smaller than the "large oval" head. The heads RoudyRick show above are larger than the "large oval".

I'm assuming you've got a '66 style hood and not a '67 right? Doesn't really matter, they are very close, but I think the '66 is actually just a tad better on clearance overall. You could use the 427/425 intake on the ovals and even though it's a big mismatch...it's been done for years and runs well on a mild small block. It's not a bad intake. Another choice would be an old C-396 Edelbrock. It's similar to the 427/425 but has oval openings. You could spend a few hours porting your 2.0? An oval port Holley Strip Dominator single plane will fit if the motor is stout enough to need it. I believe the Weiand Stealth's might go to. They're a pretty big dual plane.

What you're looking for is an intake with a carb pad milled at an angle so front of it lowers carb toward the front. The newer Air Gap intakes etc aren't angled like that. Double ck that and you'll be OK. If you use a 427/425 intake as a baseline that you know fits...you can go from there. The Holley Strip Dominator is identical nearly, the ancient Team G with the bolt holes above the two intake ports is the same.

JIM
Old 06-10-2016, 04:00 PM
Tiros
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I use the old Holley Street Dominator
Not sure if the new ones are the same dimensions.
There's enough room left for the Holley heat shield and spacer too

Last edited by Tiros; 06-10-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:16 PM
RoudyRick
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
RoudyRick...you've technically got rectangular ports...though they are smaller than the iron versions. Those aluminum's run pretty good for an OEM head.The factory just screwed the 427/425 type intake on them and they did OK even with some mismatch.
The heads RoudyRick show above are larger than the "large oval".

I'm assuming you've got a '66 style hood and not a '67 right?

JIM

You have me a bit confused here " smaller than the iron versions" but "larger than the large oval"? What ever you want to call them I use large port fel-pro gaskets and hand matched the Edelbrock C396 manifold to the heads. Work good for me

Yep, my 66 has the 66 427 hood
Old 06-13-2016, 12:01 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by RoudyRick
You have me a bit confused here " smaller than the iron versions" but "larger than the large oval"? What ever you want to call them I use large port fel-pro gaskets and hand matched the Edelbrock C396 manifold to the heads. Work good for me

Yep, my 66 has the 66 427 hood
LOL...I know...sounds crazy!

Iron rectangular ports have around 325cc ports....the aluminum rectangular ports were actually a little smaller...in the 295cc or so range. Helped a lot with response on a 427.

The only aluminum "ovals" from GM are the later ones on ZZ502's and a couple of other crate motors. Never installed on a production line. Essentially they are Edelbrock heads. They have a port a little larger than an iron oval and smaller than a rectangular. The port shape is somewhere in between too and are referred to "rovals" or "squovals".

In the iron oval port world you have regular oval ports...which people call "large ovals" and were installed on everything from 396's to 454's and "peanut port" heads...or truck heads. They came on 366 and 427 truck motors and then later they used them on smogger pickup truck motors. They have ports in the 236cc or so range. Great for low end TQ, but will run out of breath early.

You've got a nice combo with those heads and C-396. Old school stuff that still works!

JIM

Get notified of new replies

To big block intake fit under stock hood

Quick Reply: big block intake fit under stock hood