C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Turn signal problem on 66

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Default Turn signal problem on 66

I have the left turn signal that works correctly. The right blinks but it also makes the left blink along with it and slower. Is there a wire crossed going to the flasher or??????? any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old 08-30-2012, 03:14 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Paul, give me a call and let's talk about the turn signal problem. If you lost my number send me a pm with your number and I'll call you.
It's likely that you have a ground problem at the rear light socket, so that the voltage feeds to the ground through the filament on the other side. The two sides tie together in the turn signal switch to interrupt the brake lights if they are on when signalling, so it could be there too, but we can talk.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 08-30-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Jack sent my number to your email Thanks
Old 08-30-2012, 04:24 PM
BobT59
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a similar problem I had with my 59 last year...

clean ALL the grounds, even on the bulb holders
Old 08-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Im thinking I lost a ground on the right side, I found a broken wire but didnt help it. I will get under again Friday. It was easier crawling under the car when I was 21.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:09 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

That blue wire should attach to the mounting screw at the top that holds the housing. Did you strip it and connect it to that screw and still got the same symptom? If so, run another wire from the frame ground up to that screw and see if that cures it. You've lost a ground on one of those two passenger side sockets.

According to the wiring diagram, there is a black wire that ties between the outside tail light socket and the backup light socket, then to the license plate light ground, then back through the rear body connector and up to the dash/console ground. It sounds like the wire that connects the backup light socket ground to the brake/signal/taillamp socket ground is loose or corroded. Since this happened after you changed the backup bulb, I'd look very closely at that socket and ground.

Paul,, something you said today just struck me. You said you put an 1157 bulb in the backup socket. It should be a single contact 1156. Take a look and make sure that the bulb you put in has a single contact on the bottom and that the socket it goes in also has a single contact in it. If you put a double contact in a single socket, you'll create all kinds of issues with paths to ground

Make sure the bulb base looks like this with one contact at the bottom, but also look into the backup lamp socket, it should be a single contact in the bottom also. The ones without backup lights came with a double contact in the socket and took an 1157 bulb.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 08-30-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:11 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Thanks Jack, I am going to do what you said in the morning. It was an 1156 bulb I put in the backups. I think it has to do with the reverse lite housing. I will call you if I run into problems. Thanks again
Old 08-31-2012, 12:32 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Too bad, I thought maybe we had come upon the problem. OK, make sure the connection is good between the two sockets and over to the license lamp housing grounds. I'll be around tomorrow if you need to talk.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:23 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Paul, here's a color coded wiring diagram of the light circuit. With what you've got working, the only possible thing is the black wire between the backup lamp housing and the taillight housing, or the taillight socket/bulb ***'y itself. Your ground is good or your license plate light and backup lamp wouldn't be working. It may be the black wire that comes from under the speed nut on the taillight housing has a bad connection where it joins the black wire under the speed nut on the backup lamp housing. It goes from one connection to two there. You can tell for sure by just shorting the screw that has the speed nut on it on the tailight housing to the same screw on the backup lamp housing. Just run a piece of wire between those two screws and I bet the turn signal works correctly.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:27 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Thanks Jack, I gave up for today but will get back on it. I wish I had smaller arms and hands, its got to be a wire that I am missing.

Get notified of new replies

To Turn signal problem on 66

Quick Reply: Turn signal problem on 66