C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Instrument Housing protrusion, should I remove?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:11 AM
638HP
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 81 Posts

Default C1 Instrument Housing protrusion, should I remove?

I am in the process of re-painting my gauge/instrument housing. I notice a nub (protrusion) on the top side middle of the housing which faces the windshield. When flipping over the housing, I notice the same protrusion underneath in the same general location.

Is this protrusion a result of the stamping process, thus normal, or is it a flaw? I am trying to determine if I should grind this down and smooth out. I want to avoid any future judging issues by removing. Thank you in advance for your insights.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

A picture would surely help. I'll say that there should be nothing on the top of the cluster metal piece. The speedometer enclosure should be smooth as a baby's butt on top and the flat portions leading into the dashpad likewise. No doubt Bubba struck. On my '61 somebody had drilled a nasty hole in the cluster to mount an old school compass or some other nonsense and I had to patch it when I repainted. You might have the same thing but only it was badly repaired...

Watch the paint sheen if you are painting for judging...its not a super high gloss color as many tend to put on these parts...
Old 09-08-2012, 12:48 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 275 Posts

Default On bottom but none on top

Just painted mine and there is a protrusion on the bottom but none on top. Even when I removed all the old paint, there were no signs of one ever being on top.

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Instrument Housing protrusion, should I remove?

Quick Reply: C1 Instrument Housing protrusion, should I remove?