C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help removing door lock handle

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 05:12 PM
gzvette61
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help removing door lock handle

Well, I just got done polishing all of the brightwork on my 61, went to open the passenger door, and when I pushed the external door latch button, it not only went in, it went completely in, falling into the door cavity.

I'm trying to remove the interior door panel, but can't get the door lock handle off. I don't have the special tool, and don't need it for the window handle (electric windows), but can't figure out how to get the lock handle out of the way. Please help!!
Old 09-08-2012, 05:38 PM
BobT59
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gzvette61
Well, I just got done polishing all of the brightwork on my 61, went to open the passenger door, and when I pushed the external door latch button, it not only went in, it went completely in, falling into the door cavity.

I'm trying to remove the interior door panel, but can't get the door lock handle off. I don't have the special tool, and don't need it for the window handle (electric windows), but can't figure out how to get the lock handle out of the way. Please help!!
Can't say for sure but I would guess it is the same as my 59.

I think I know what you are referring to. Depress the material on the door panel and squeeze a look behind the door lock...you will see a spring clip that holds the lock handle in place..similar to what holds the window handle in place.

Here is a link to the part I am referring to.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....7M66249718424d ~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000050x

I usually use a small screwdriver to catch the spring clip and pop it off the lock stud.

Last edited by BobT59; 09-08-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:41 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

If you cant catch it with a screwdriver try a piece of an old t-shirt. Put it behind the handle on open side of the clip and work the shirt up and down to catch the clip and pop it off!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:01 PM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Push on the door panel and at the same time use a small thin screwdriver to push the clip out. The frustration comes when trying to install the clip.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:05 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplus
Push on the door panel and at the same time use a small thin screwdriver to push the clip out. The frustration comes when trying to install the clip.
Install the clip on the **** first, then push the **** on until you hear a click. Same with the window cranks.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:38 PM
gzvette61
Intermediate

Thanks for all your help. I did get it off with a small screwdriver and a paint can opener (used as a hook to grab the top of the ring). Trying to figure out how the door latch goes back together. Will check the assembly manual to figure it out. The maintenance manual pics aren't real good on how it all fits together.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Here is some info that may help you from forum member Dave Zuberer.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
60 Door 'Insides'.pdf (746.0 KB, 262 views)
Old 09-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 573 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

See Sect. F, page 6.00 in the AIM for the view of the handle and lock. Remove the access panel and use a bright light to pick up any and all pieces that may have fallen to the bottom of the door. May want to use a magnet to check for pieces. Study the AIm closely and take your time. You almost need to reassemble outside the door on your kitchen table to understand how it works. I had one hell of a time when the same thing happened to me.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:29 AM
gzvette61
Intermediate

Thanks again. Between the PDFs and the AIM, I be working to get it back together. That will be tomorrow's learning experience. Being a relative newbie, I'm always amazed at the willingness of forum experts to lend a hand. I'll let you know how I made out.

BTW, Frankie, your car is the same year and colors as mine. Much better looking, and more "civilized" than mine. I believe mine has the original paint. At some point I may be looking at PS, but that will be a ways down the road.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Here is an interesting factoid -- What part of the car has the most pages devoted to it in the 58-62 C1 AIM manuals ? The DOORS !! That should tell you something about what you are getting in to...

While you are into the doors its a good time to replace stuff that might have gone missing over the years. The door handle metal 'backing plate' reinforcements, the small fiber board squares to cover access holes, the large nylon washers under the inside door pulls, window cranks, door locks, the thin black gaskets that go under the exterior chrome door handle, etc..

My car was missing all of that stuff.

BTW - The AIM shows the little spring/washer/cotter key setup on the rod that actuates the door handle TWO different ways -- only one of which will keep it from binding; so watch that. Install it as shown in the 2nd PDF. It will seem wrong when you are doing it -- but it's not.

Finally - look at the other forum thread here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...er-screws.html. If you find a large, funny-looking screw on the back of your door handle this thread will tell you about it.

As far as my car and 'civilized' -- I love it...I have never driven a more streetable muscle car that still is a kick in the pants to drive and with the 5-speed can get 22-24MPG cruising..

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-09-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:11 AM
gzvette61
Intermediate

Well, I got it done, at least temporarily, and took about 2 hours. I need smaller hands, better glasses, or a bigger access hole. I didn't realize at first that I needed to take the handle off to put everything back together. The "clamshell" affair that holds the latch mechanism on the back of the handle seems to have spread, and I fear that my fix will only last long enough to fail at the most inopportune time. I do need the handle gasket, and some of the other parts replaced, so I will be into all of this again and will have a new handle available then. Try as I might, I couldn't get both washers and the spring on, so that's another reason to get back into it when I have all the parts I will need to fix it right. Seems like a good winter weekend project. I actually have the clutch head drivers as part of a bit set I bought at Carlisle last year. Didn't need them for this project. Clearly, a previous owner was into the door before.

Thanks for all for the pointers and information. You guys are a great resource for us newbies!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:21 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by gzvette61

I actually have the clutch head drivers as part of a bit set I bought at Carlisle last year. Didn't need them for this project. Clearly, a previous owner was into the door before.

Thanks for all for the pointers and information. You guys are a great resource for us newbies!
FWIW, you can also buy a set of clutch head screwdrivers. Often times, they're easier to use than the bits that fit into a 1/4" drive socket set.

Check EBAY. Other vendors have them too.

There are about 5 sizes in a set IIRC.

Chuck
Old 09-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 573 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Glenn, you can always count on the guys/gals on this forum to help. Also, thanks for the pdf Frankie, I wish I would have had it two years ago when my door handle button fell into the door after I locked it from the outside. Try reassembling w/o a schematic.
John F
Old 09-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Redbird
Glenn, you can always count on the guys/gals on this forum to help. Also, thanks for the pdf Frankie, I wish I would have had it two years ago when my door handle button fell into the door after I locked it from the outside. Try reassembling w/o a schematic.
John F
Thanks to Dave Zuberer (DZAuto on the forum), John Hinkley (JohnZ) and many others for the vast technical library of C1 info I've built up over the years !! It's my privilege to share it.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:56 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Dug up this thread after wrestling with the exact same problem...

It was me, as a 13 year old kid (in 1978), who pushed the button on the passenger side and had it fall into the door. I still remember how mad my dad was when it happened. So here I am now, 35 years later, paying the price for that mishap!!!

I took apart the door and found the button plus a small square nut in the bottom of the door. But I could not get the mechanism pushed back into place.. After finding this thread, I suspect I need to remove the handle before I do this?

Also - I didn't find a spring inside...??? Should it be there?

Thanks for any help!

Fred

Last edited by SDVette; 10-23-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Make a tool with a coat hanger. Bend a tiny hook into the end of it, as small as you can make it with pliers, push the panel back and grab the top of the spring clip with the hook and pull. Very easy.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:25 AM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I finally got my door working and back together today! Yea!

The biggest "missing link" for me on this project was how the latch connects to the door handle. Big forehead slap when I finally figured this one.

I could assemble everything fine, but it didn't work because it was just hanging in space. The key is that the latch goes into the button hole, and turns 90 degrees to lock into place. Most of you probably know this... but as someone new to working on these cars and studying the Assembly manual plus the various online help/photos, NOWHERE does it mention or show this "obvious" fact! So I will mention it for any future searchers in the forum.

It was my neighbor with a 57 Chevy who finally revealed this to me.

Thanks all for the input.

Fred

Get notified of new replies

To Help removing door lock handle

Quick Reply: Help removing door lock handle