C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fast N' Loud

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 03:07 PM
FASTZ
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

An ex cast member of one of these reality shows was quoted as saying"Nothing on reality TV is as it appears.That is why they have writers"
Old 10-02-2012, 03:10 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,421 Likes on 734 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

the Wildfire episode was a joke
car is/was a kit car and they sold hundreds of kits......
I had never seen one - had to google it....
Old 10-02-2012, 03:25 PM
ditchdigger650
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

They could have a meth lab behind the shop. Maybe that's how they survive.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:33 PM
ditchdigger650
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchdigger650
They could have a meth lab behind the shop. Maybe that's how they survive.
Just kidding. I don't want any negative feedback, their probably cool guys. Their Texas boys.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by csherman
the Wildfire episode was a joke
car is/was a kit car and they sold hundreds of kits......
I had never seen one - had to google it....
Not sure I'd call it a kit car any more than the Shelby Mustang was a kit car:

http://www.americansportscars.com/wildfire.html

Not the early ones leastways.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:39 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,421 Likes on 734 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

The Woodill Wildfire was first seen at the November 1952 Motorama in Los Angeles -- not the General Motors show, but one put on by Petersen Publishing Company, of Motor Trend fame. Interest ran high, so Woody set about getting his sports car into production, both fully assembled and as a high-quality kit car. A rectangular steel frame was devised, with the idea that it accept Ford engines and running gear, although other engines and transmissions could be -- and were -- fitted. With the motor pushed rearward in the chassis, most any engine chosen still left the Wildfire with close to 50/50 weight distribution. The fiberglass body kept weight low -- only 1620 pounds with the ****** engine -- so performance was brisk, even with the little ****** six.

The Woodwill Wildfire was introduced to the world November at the 1952 Motorama in Los Angeles.

No matter, the Wildfire never really did become a production car as only about 15 were built, plus 100-300 kits (Woodill claimed the higher number). Part of the problem was price: $2900-$4500; $1200-$1600 for the kits, plus engine, and other components.

Looks like it was kit car to me............

Last edited by csherman; 10-02-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:33 PM
SeeYah
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SMD1
I happened to DVR the show and when I saw the 67 coupe went back to take a hard look. A few items I observed;

-driver's side chassis at the kick up appeared to have a very large repair section.
- small block motor in car
- AC ducts
- The dialog indicated it was a PA car from Longhorn, PA.
- Really strange was a sticker on the rear panel indicating "Baldwin Chevrolet"
- The small block valve covers were imprinted with "Motion"

Lots of stories here.......I agree with the other comments.....reality TV at its best.

This car was on eBay twice during August and was located in the same town in TX that I live in. It supposedly sold the 1st time for $41K but then was relisted a few days later and never got above $36K in the second auction. He also had it listed on the DFW Craigslist for $35K. From what I saw, it was well used and the seller claimed that it was an original Baldwin Motion car that blew the engine and was replaced with a 327. He had no proof, just a theory about it.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Zogs2011
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure but wasn't it the same guy who bought the wildfire and the corvette?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Its a good fun show that is reality TV.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:35 PM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If shows are starting to popup like "Flip This House", only about cars, then we will soon be in a price "bubble". That may be good for anyone in the market to sell. Other approaches like "Park Your Money in Your Garage" are also contributing to the idea of vintage cars as investments. Stupid money may be heading our way, lol.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:38 PM
VettininJersey
NCRS 58152 NCM Life 2626
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I did

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
I notice that every car project intended for auction get done at the eleventh hour. It's show time! Dennis

PS. Anyone see the "new format of Overhaulin"?
Problem is we just got Velocity channel so when they say all new episodes of shows like Overhaulin and wheeler dealers I watch but then I've seen them on other channels before. Overhaulin is actually new. New blonde too.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,720 Likes on 805 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ditchdigger650
Hi Folks. Any of you see the 1967 Lynndale Blue 427-435 coupe the guy bought on fast n' loud last night on the discovery channel. He paid 25k for it, what a deal, it had the tank sticker protecto plate. Then he sold it to his friend for 35k. Had original paint, rally wheels. I would have bought that in a heart beat for that price.
It is all theater.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Midevilone
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car appears to be a "real deal" original paint L-71 coupe without the original motor. It has been flipped several times since the initial $25k purchase and also has been on ebay several times. The car has been discussed on the Yenko site as well.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...tte#Post500519
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

overhaul is just advertisement for chip foose and is hype, wouldn't let them touch my beater 83 supra...to sloppy, aggressive and in a rush to be very good work..imo
Old 10-04-2012, 11:07 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplus
Ya I don't believe it and think it is for entertainment.

The other day he picked up an original, untouched, fiberglass, Wildfire and supposedly there are only 7 or 9 in the world. So what is the first thing the idiot does? He CUTS THE WINDSHIELD DOWN FOR LOOKS, then he paints the hood for looks. He got 100k for it in cash. What could he really have done if he left it alone and sold it to a real collector.

And, he wasted $20k on a set of new after market wire wheels that he put on to "add more bling", while he took off and discarded the original steel wheels and fake wire wheel covers. What a joke..........
Old 10-04-2012, 11:10 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by csherman
The Woodill Wildfire was first seen at the November 1952 Motorama in Los Angeles -- not the General Motors show, but one put on by Petersen Publishing Company, of Motor Trend fame. Interest ran high, so Woody set about getting his sports car into production, both fully assembled and as a high-quality kit car. A rectangular steel frame was devised, with the idea that it accept Ford engines and running gear, although other engines and transmissions could be -- and were -- fitted. With the motor pushed rearward in the chassis, most any engine chosen still left the Wildfire with close to 50/50 weight distribution. The fiberglass body kept weight low -- only 1620 pounds with the ****** engine -- so performance was brisk, even with the little ****** six.

The Woodwill Wildfire was introduced to the world November at the 1952 Motorama in Los Angeles.

No matter, the Wildfire never really did become a production car as only about 15 were built, plus 100-300 kits (Woodill claimed the higher number). Part of the problem was price: $2900-$4500; $1200-$1600 for the kits, plus engine, and other components.

Looks like it was kit car to me............
The show said it was "documented" as one of the first 6 or 7 made, that were assembled by the factory before they switched to kits.
Pictures of the engine clearly showed it to be a Ford flathead V8.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:14 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The worst part about these shows is they are flooding the market with shoddy restorations. They are trying to make restoration look easy and they are so bad at it, they will probably hurt the shops that do a good job.

I just saw a new show (to me anyway) called Desert Car Kings about a place in AZ that has 100 acres of junk cars. They have a ton of classics and go out and pick one to fix up and sell. They also do the "We've only got 2 weeks to get this done" thing, and they also do a crappy job.

I wish there was someone out there that could come up with a good car show that didn't make us car guys all look like idiots.

Get notified of new replies

To Fast N' Loud

Old 10-04-2012, 03:20 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KC John
The worst part about these shows is they are flooding the market with shoddy restorations. They are trying to make restoration look easy and they are so bad at it, they will probably hurt the shops that do a good job.

I just saw a new show (to me anyway) called Desert Car Kings about a place in AZ that has 100 acres of junk cars. They have a ton of classics and go out and pick one to fix up and sell. They also do the "We've only got 2 weeks to get this done" thing, and they also do a crappy job.

I wish there was someone out there that could come up with a good car show that didn't make us car guys all look like idiots.

I thought the Chip Foose "Overhaulin" series wasn't bad, but they usually did custom restomods, not authentic restorations.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:22 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by KC John
Not sure I believe it. I think a lot of that show is just for entertainment purposes and they tell you what they want you to hear.

That car they did a few weeks ago that was one of only 9 in the world was sold on the show, and then someone posted that it was for sale on eBay. I don't believe any of it.

They buy the cars too cheap and sell them for more than they should be able to get for them. It's all scripted in my opinion.
Reality TV is maturing. Which means it's more about the script than the reality.

Like the British guys on Wheeler dealer. They make very little money on the cars.Now their TV contract is another story.

If they added the actual labor costs to their tally, they would be losing money every time. Or the guys from Desert Auto Parts selling worn out junk as restored classics But it is entertaining. I love the wrenching shows.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 10-04-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Powderboy
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The desert car kings restoration quality appears weak and so are the prices they get for the cars at auction. Ha

Quick Reply: Fast N' Loud