C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fast N' Loud

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:51 PM
raypilot65
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Every one of the so-called reality car shows are a bunch of crap with shoddy work, phoney prices and deadlines.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Okay so I had a chance to catch this off the DVR.. Rear kickups replaced as previously noted, paint is bubbling on the hood, reflectors ahead of the rear bumpers, crappy **** steering wheel, even with all that $25k is still a steal..
Old 10-05-2012, 04:48 AM
mechron
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by raypilot65
Every one of the so-called reality car shows are a bunch of crap with shoddy work, phoney prices and deadlines.
I agree, They are all possers. They are soothing the manginas off non car guys who watch this crap!!!

Going from a rusted out coupe to a green metalflake show car in 3 days is a joke...

I HATE THESE SHOWS.

If you think you can make money this way you are wrong unless you can land a stupid TV show!!!

I made my bucks by actually working on cars and beating flat rate on every repair. Not the nonsense you see on TV.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

Boyd's 4 week builds always showed next weeks 4 week build half done in the background.

I'd like these shows better if the shut up, stopped talking about their feelings, and just showed us the work. Anyone else want to call out Dr Phil for the Orange County Chopper crybabies ?

I can watch the Yankee Woodworker dude for hours on end and I don't like woodworking at all.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:59 PM
xfarrell
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it was my vette, so let me try to answer some of your questions....below in-line

Originally Posted by SMD1
I happened to DVR the show and when I saw the 67 coupe went back to take a hard look. A few items I observed;

-driver's side chassis at the kick up appeared to have a very large repair section. Yes, there was a frame repair, when I bought the car in 95, from my neighbor who owned it for 20+ years, he drove it daily when he was younger , (even in the winter) it has snow tires and a trailer hitch, poor side exhaust and rust in the frame when I bought it.
- small block motor in car originally exactly as Richard stated 67 427 3x2, when my neighbor bought it in early 70's the big block had been pulled and put in some "race car" and the 327 was in its place. so yes I sold the Big Block car with a small block in it to Richard
- AC ducts, I was going to enjoy this one, so I installed Vintage air several years ago.
- The dialog indicated it was a PA car from Longhorn, PA. Langhorne Pa.
- Really strange was a sticker on the rear panel indicating "Baldwin Chevrolet" it came with the car, No this was Not a Baldwin Car, I was very clear on that, not even a vintage sticker.
- The small block valve covers were imprinted with "Motion" one of the original corvette script valve covers was cracked, I put on a set of after market covers, keeping with the tribute motion theme.

Steering wheel was out of a Turbo vette, I gave him the original wood one, but if you have ever driven a 67, those bus driver wheels are too big . again I was building this to enjoy, not show.

Lots of stories here.......I agree with the other comments.....reality TV at its best.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:18 PM
xfarrell
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Midevilone
The car appears to be a "real deal" original paint L-71 coupe without the original motor. It has been flipped several times since the initial $25k purchase and also has been on ebay several times. The car has been discussed on the Yenko site as well.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...tte#Post500519
WOW, just saw this link, IS my old vette, but thats not me! I sold this car in August.

ok so I just called the seller, he sold it to someone in conn. going to put correct motor in it. NOT BALDWIN CAR.!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:27 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by mechron
I agree, They are all possers. They are soothing the manginas off non car guys who watch this crap!!!

Going from a rusted out coupe to a green metalflake show car in 3 days is a joke...

I HATE THESE SHOWS.

If you think you can make money this way you are wrong unless you can land a stupid TV show!!!

I made my bucks by actually working on cars and beating flat rate on every repair. Not the nonsense you see on TV.
HATE? Ok.

So! It's just entertainment. Anyone who takes what those guys on TV do as making money. Has lost touch.

Some like it, some don't. I have been wrenching my own cars and making a living in the car business for almost 30 yrs.It's just TV and it sure beats sports (except motorsports)
Old 10-05-2012, 01:50 PM
xfarrell
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by MiguelsC2
HATE? Ok.

So! It's just entertainment. Anyone who takes what those guys on TV do as making money. Has lost touch.

Some like it, some don't. I have been wrenching my own cars and making a living in the car business for almost 30 yrs.It's just TV and it sure beats sports (except motorsports)
Absolutely, its just TV, we had to make like my vette did not run, so Richard had to push it out of my garage.... for TV.... I then started it and drove it up on the trailer.

the bargaining was staged, they couldn't buy a running car, they are a garage after all. I paid $6k for it in 95, added a bunch of parts and sold it for a fair price. i was never going to get it to a level that she could be. so I let it be someone else's turn. The guys from the show ARE great guys and dont take themselves too seriously, its good entertainment and they do quality work. go by the garage and see them sometime. 11451 Reeder Road Dallas, TX 75229, its where all the garage stuff is filmed.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:14 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by KC John
The worst part about these shows is they are flooding the market with shoddy restorations. They are trying to make restoration look easy and they are so bad at it, they will probably hurt the shops that do a good job.

I just saw a new show (to me anyway) called Desert Car Kings about a place in AZ that has 100 acres of junk cars. They have a ton of classics and go out and pick one to fix up and sell. They also do the "We've only got 2 weeks to get this done" thing, and they also do a crappy job.

I wish there was someone out there that could come up with a good car show that didn't make us car guys all look like idiots.
Their lot is right around the corner from me. I've tried to bring myself to visit it but the old man just makes my stomach turn.

I think I'll mount a web cam in my garage and just start broadcasting whenever I'm out there working. It should be good for a few laughs as you see the main jackass start one project before completeing the others already in progress.
Wont be any drama timelines or hurt feelings involved as I like to be out there alone.

Last edited by AzMotorhead; 10-05-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:48 AM
65ragtop
1st Gear

Mark, What did the original owner tell you about the history of the car[also the tank sticker says "export"]. Who put the motion parts on it,and when did the motion story originate? When I saw the show, I was wishing I was the one standing in front of you gettting the car for 25K,I would certainly hope you got more ......!

Quick Reply: Fast N' Loud