C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'66 427 w/AC fan hitting shroud

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 04:40 PM
dirkdaddy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '66 427 w/AC fan hitting shroud

Hello, I have spent nearly 2 hours searching as I thought I had seen this and was trying avoid asking FAQ's, but no dice finding answer.

The patient is 4 speed car, runs great, is restored and appears to be NCRS sort of build. Very nice, but the upper fan shroud was damaged by the fan when we got it. Since then I have discovered why. WHen doing spirited driving in lower gears (getting on it) the engine seems to move on the mounts and this causes the interference with the shroud.

I remember reading about this and some mods to the engine mounts like putting a bolt into them, but I could not find the thread : ~(

I also saw something about shimming the transmission so that the front drops down.

Any advice welcome.

THere is also a squeak in the rear area somewhere. I have laid under the car and bench pressed the car up and down a little and cannot recreate the noise. I also put some innertube bushing around the spare tire lock bolt which helps raise it, as I think I have the longer bolts with 3/4" hanging open before this mod. The suspension was all restored and looks like it rolled off the assembly line, all bushings look good.

Cheers,
DD
Old 10-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Have you confremend the engine and trany mounts a good and all bolts in place and tight
Old 10-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Shroud

When I installed a Tremec 5 speed in my 66, I had to shim the transmission mount by about an 1/8". That made a big difference in the front of the engine. On my big block Chevelle, the previous owner put in poly motor mounts and when I put the shroud on, the fan hit it. I changed to standard factory mounts and it lifted the engine up to the correct height. Jerry
Old 10-03-2012, 10:10 AM
dirkdaddy
Instructor

Thanks for input will look into both of these issues, bolt tightness first. I think a bit of a shim might be the trick. Perhaps new engine mounts are a bit taller than normal throwing things off a little.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:50 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Sounds like a broken motor mount, personally, i would replace them with the anti torque/safety, or whatever you call them, motor mounts made to address the problem, rather than the NCRS original type.

Doug
Old 10-03-2012, 04:51 PM
dirkdaddy
Instructor

Will get the Corvette on the lift later today or tomorrow AM but saw this info on the 'net.

Hmmm. seems for small block? does not really say. The locking ones apparently interfere with the heat shields on some cars. hmmm...

Motor Mount
Old 10-03-2012, 05:35 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

Whatever you do, dont buy new "correct" engine mounts from Corvette Central. I just received mine and they are nothing like the original mounts. They are cheap Chinese replacements. They smell exactly like the harbor freight store, which is full of Chinese made crap, for the most part. Just my warning. Im getting pretty sick and tired of receiving "correct" products that are crap replacements that literally belong in the garbage.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:40 PM
salty_waders
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 65silververt
Whatever you do, dont buy new "correct" engine mounts from Corvette Central. I just received mine and they are nothing like the original mounts. They are cheap Chinese replacements. They smell exactly like the harbor freight store, which is full of Chinese made crap, for the most part. Just my warning. Im getting pretty sick and tired of receiving "correct" products that are crap replacements that literally belong in the garbage.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

shim the tail shaft and it should cover the problem
Old 10-04-2012, 11:59 AM
dirkdaddy
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65silververt
THANKS for input. Had my fill of cheap azz import stuff.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:01 PM
dirkdaddy
Instructor

I made a 3/16" steel spacer for jacking up the transmission a little as suggested. Engine mounts were good and tight. Got the spacer cut, painted and installed, test drove. Problem solved. I think the rear mount which looked new, was not completely to spec. It seems engine mounts are out-sourced to whatever third world country has the lowest labor costs and quality control is not a prime concern. I have seen some iffy looking ones in the past from various vendors. Thanks for help folks!! : ~)
DD

Get notified of new replies

To '66 427 w/AC fan hitting shroud

Quick Reply: '66 427 w/AC fan hitting shroud