Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C1 & C2 Corvettes
General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations Sponsored by
Flaming River
Industries

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
65tripleblack
CF Senior Member
 
65tripleblack's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2003
Location: Ocean Township NJ
Default "Air Gap" Intake Manifold

What is its purpose? Why would an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap be better/worse than an Edelbrock RPM?
65tripleblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
waltonb123
CF Senior Member
 
waltonb123's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2011
Location: Suffolk Virginia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65tripleblack View Post
What is its purpose? Why would an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap be better/worse than an Edelbrock RPM?
Edelbrock claims the Air Gap provides a cooler inlet charge. Hot Rod magazine did a test on this and found that the Air Gap only saw a 2-3 hp difference above 5600 rpm on the dyno. They did note that there wasnt a lot of heat built up while running on the dyno. I guess it could make a difference in the real world.
Bob
waltonb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
Matt Gruber
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Default

Purpose is to make $$$.
IMO it is much worse than the RPM. Hard to drive/warmup below 60F. And it connects the high and low plane so it will draw in lots of exhaust at low rpm during overlap, with a performance cam. it might run awful at low rpm. Might not, it depends on the whole combo.
Matt Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
PaulUptime
CF Senior Member
 
PaulUptime's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto ON
Default

My motor is an Edelbrock Performer 350 which includes the Performer Air Gap intake (among many other things.)

I believe another of the benefits of the air gap design is a cooler carb, reducing vapor lock issues. If so, it seems to work as we've run well in some very hot temps.
PaulUptime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
KC John
CF Senior Member
 
KC John's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2007
Location: OP Kansas
Default

I heard it's difficult to keep the area underneath (air gap) clean. I've never owned one, so it's just what I've read.
KC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
claysmoker
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14
 
claysmoker's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Location: Hooterville Nevada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC John View Post
I heard it's difficult to keep the area underneath (air gap) clean. I've never owned one, so it's just what I've read.
Not bad from my experience, but might be if you have any leaks from anything. I get bugs in mine sometimes but the air hose takes care of them.
claysmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
Matt Gruber
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUptime View Post
My motor is an Edelbrock Performer 350 which includes the Performer Air Gap intake (among many other things.)

I believe another of the benefits of the air gap design is a cooler carb, reducing vapor lock issues. If so, it seems to work as we've run well in some very hot temps.
That one does NOT have a cut down divider. So it will not narrow the power band like the RPM can when used with a higher overlap cam. To keep any carb below the boiling point of gas, i've found that a $3.50 fan and duct works best. The carb can boil about 1 hr after shut down, hood closed. So unless you re-start it then, you might not notice it. It could be the air gap helps, in that case
Fall is here. How does the airgap work out on a cold start, say 45F? Can you still drive off normally with a cold carb? How is the MPG? I find my mpg drops a lot on cold starts. And i sure don't sit there waiting for it to warm up. That would be ZERO mpg. If i still lived in NJ i'd want the heat riser connected. Winter is right around the corner. So it depends on where you live, and how you drive. What intake will work best depends on many factors.

Last edited by Matt Gruber; 10-07-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Matt Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
PaulUptime
CF Senior Member
 
PaulUptime's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto ON
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gruber View Post
That one does NOT have a cut down divider. So it will not narrow the power band like the RPM can when used with a higher overlap cam. To keep any carb below the boiling point of gas, i've found that a $3.50 fan and duct works best. The carb can boil about 1 hr after shut down, hood closed. So unless you re-start it then, you might not notice it. It could be the air gap helps, in that case
Fall is here. How does the airgap work out on a cold start, say 45F? Can you still drive off normally with a cold carb? How is the MPG? I find my mpg drops a lot on cold starts. And i sure don't sit there waiting for it to warm up. That would be ZERO mpg. If i still lived in NJ i'd want the heat riser connected. Winter is right around the corner. So it depends on where you live, and how you drive. What intake will work best depends on many factors.
Yes, I guess the Air Gap Performer design differs from the RPM. My Edelbrock 350 had the polished option, so cleaning it really isn't too much of an issue. I too use air to blow out and maintain the shine with a little Mother's Billet polish/cleaner.

As for cold temp issues, I don't really have any. It won't see winter but it does see some cold weather driving (for example today the high was just 46F.) Fortunately it sees a lot more warm temps than cold, so overall the design suits my requirements just fine.
PaulUptime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Jebbysan
CF Senior Member
 
Jebbysan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Location: New Braunfels Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65tripleblack View Post
What is its purpose? Why would an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap be better/worse than an Edelbrock RPM?
Not sure......the manifold...Air gap or not is huge heat sink and the water passes through the front....eventually it will heat up....

The runners on both manifolds are near identical....
One benefit of the air gap is it is easy to hide a pcv in the valley....and things like wires and sensor lines for mechanical gauges can be routed through it for a clean look.....but is that worth $75?

A much greater benefit is had by insulating the carb from the manifold...
and keeping engine temps around 175 degrees....

Another thing to keep in mind is that an open spacer absolutely destroys these intakes.....run four hole spacers only on these....

Jebby
Jebby
Jebbysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
65tripleblack
CF Senior Member
 
65tripleblack's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2003
Location: Ocean Township NJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebbysan View Post
Not sure......the manifold...Air gap or not is huge heat sink and the water passes through the front....eventually it will heat up....

The runners on both manifolds are near identical....
One benefit of the air gap is it is easy to hide a pcv in the valley....and things like wires and sensor lines for mechanical gauges can be routed through it for a clean look.....but is that worth $75?

A much greater benefit is had by insulating the carb from the manifold...
and keeping engine temps around 175 degrees....

Another thing to keep in mind is that an open spacer absolutely destroys these intakes.....run four hole spacers only on these....

Jebby
Jebby
Thermal characteristics are what I had in mind when I made the OP. Especially how it relates to coolant temp and thermostat selection.

Think of situations where an engine designer has the option of keeping oil temp fully independent of coolant temp.
65tripleblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
Jebbysan
CF Senior Member
 
Jebbysan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2012
Location: New Braunfels Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65tripleblack View Post
Thermal characteristics are what I had in mind when I made the OP. Especially how it relates to coolant temp and thermostat selection.

Imagine a situation where an engine designer has the option of keeping oil temp fully independent of coolant temp.
I understand....but it makes no differance because both manifolds will heat sink equally.....especially with the aluminum factor.....they bolted
to the hot heads...and both get splashed from underneith....

The only way to separated the two is to have the manifold be two piece.....have a "pan" made of low thermal phenolic...then a aluminum
"manifold" bolted to that....

Jebby
Jebbysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:15 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Reload this Page "Air Gap" Intake Manifold
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap Intake for sale jon68l79 C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted 1 10-07-2014 07:10 PM
whats it worth ? cndbx C3 Tech/Performance 1 03-17-2014 01:20 PM
Edelbrock 7107 performer rpm air-gap LT1-LT4 intake LePore C4 Parts for Sale/Wanted 1 02-15-2014 04:02 PM
Edelbrock Air Gap RPM hood clearance on a C3 L Holmes C3 Tech/Performance 12 10-20-2013 08:06 PM
Best Intake between Edelbrock performer RPM or performer Air-gap ? pat80 C3 Tech/Performance 11 02-27-2008 11:04 PM



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:28 PM.


Emails & Password Backup