C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

poor fm radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 10:31 AM
vetter61
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default poor fm radio reception

Have a 67 vet with very poor FM radio reception. Seeks like I just can't quite lock on to stations. Anyone know of any ideas or solutions?
Old 10-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

You can have it converted internally for improved reception. The people who can do this are listed here on the forum. Search under "radio conversion". Dennis
Old 10-06-2012, 12:01 PM
70mph@2200rpm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
You can have it converted internally for improved reception. The people who can do this are listed here on the forum. Search under "radio conversion". Dennis
I recently had my radio upgraded to the current technology, including an iPod jack. Although I'm pleased with the results, disappointlngly, my FM reception seems to be no better. The stock GM radio in my 2005 Astro Van continues to have a little better reception than my vette radio, before or after conversion.
I have a power antennae so I can't/won't make any improvements with that.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:16 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by vetter61
Have a 67 vet with very poor FM radio reception. Seeks like I just can't quite lock on to stations. Anyone know of any ideas or solutions?
Did you fine tune it?

I cannot remember what side its on, but probably the channel finder side, there is a small "paper clip size hole" used to adjust.

Find a faint station and fine tune it through the hole...i think a SMALL SCREWDRIVER is used.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:23 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by 66jack
Did you fine tune it?

I cannot remember what side its on, but probably the channel finder side, there is a small "paper clip size hole" used to adjust.

Find a faint station and fine tune it through the hole...i think a SMALL SCREWDRIVER is used.
A long forgotten about, standard adjustment that became unnecessary on radios somewhere about 30 years ago when digital tuning became common place. I think you have to pull the **** and tuner ring behind it both off to find it.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:24 PM
70mph@2200rpm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 66jack
Did you fine tune it?

Really? that sounds way too easy...haha
thanks!
Old 10-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

You have to remember, the technology that went into midyear Corvette radios is 50 years old. Even when new, they weren’t comparable to today’s radios. Your antenna and cable may be contributing to your problem but most likely, radio components, like the germanium transistors, need replacing.

Repair shops, like Jerry Rudbeck at ElectroDesign (http://www.electrodesign.us/), can get your radio back to like new condition, but the performance will never be like a modern day radio.

The antenna trimmer screw mentioned above is for AM reception, no affect on FM.

Last edited by Mike67nv; 10-06-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:51 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike67nv
Opps - yes, not much good on FM. Overlooked that.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:56 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike67nv
You have to remember, the technology that went into midyear Corvette radios is 50 years old. Even when new, they weren’t comparable to today’s radios. Your antenna and cable may be contributing to your problem but most likely, radio components, like the germanium transistors, need replacing.

Repair shops, like Jerry Rudbeck at ElectroDesign (http://www.electrodesign.us/), can get your radio back to like new condition, but the performance will never be like a modern day radio.

Jerry is the best!
Old 10-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Aussi-66
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The screw adjustment being discussed is the AM antenna trimmer it has great effect on AM performance particularly at the the top end of the AM band. To ajust this trimmer tune the radio to a weak AM station above 1500khz and adjust the screw behind and to the side of the tuning **** for maximum volume. The comment that these radios are using technology that is 50+ years old is right on. The PNP gemanium transisters used in these radios had poor VHF/FM band performance.
I recently rebuilt my radio, I replaced all the electrolytic and the FM RF amplifier transistor with a high performance PNP silicon type followed by a full re alignment. The result is a radio with much improved FM performance the AM is unchanged but very adequate.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:17 PM
C2Driver
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I pulled my radio out back in 1990 for a rebuild and there is a Delco adhesive label on mine that reads "FM reception only within 18 miles of transmitter", or words to that effect. After the rebuild, I could pull in some reasonably distant FM stations.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:46 PM
70mph@2200rpm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 70mph@2200rpm
I recently had my radio upgraded to the current technology, including an iPod jack. Although I'm pleased with the results, disappointlngly, my FM reception seems to be no better. The stock GM radio in my 2005 Astro Van continues to have a little better reception than my vette radio, before or after conversion.
I have a power antennae so I can't/won't make any improvements with that.
I emailed Gary Tayman who converted my radio. I asked him about the FM component of his conversion, as I wasn't sure if the FM parts were also upgraded, and here is his reply.

"With a conversion, all of the components are removed and replaced with a modern PCB, which includes a new digital tuner. Reception, even when testing these on the bench, is very good – far better than the original radio could have ever hoped for. If you are not getting decent reception in the car, your first step is to check the antenna. Quite often bad lead-in wires or bad grounds can result in less-than-satisfactory reception".

Last edited by 70mph@2200rpm; 10-08-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You have to realize that the steel parts of your car are important parts of your antenna. The antenna should be grounded somewhere close to the mast and not just at the radio.
My C1 has a separate braided wire for that purpose right in the trunk. The chassis is the 'ground plane' for the antenna. Check yours.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:18 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

You can try an "antenna booster." My aftermarket power antenna has a relatively short mast and came with a booster for use in weak areas. At first I left it off and couldn't get reception here in the hills and it was poor in the flatlands.

I finally put it on and the difference is like night and day.

It now "outpulls" my late model cars here in the hills and cleaned up the signal considerably.

This is using a "stock" '64 radio that drives an aftermarket 4-channel JBL power amp, rather than its own power amp. The power switch was also modified to bring up the antenna and turn on the power amp.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:41 PM
70mph@2200rpm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by toddalin
You can try an "antenna booster." My aftermarket power antenna has a relatively short mast and came with a booster for use in weak areas. At first I left it off and couldn't get reception here in the hills and it was poor in the flatlands.

I finally put it on and the difference is like night and day.

It now "outpulls" my late model cars here in the hills and cleaned up the signal considerably.

This is using a "stock" '64 radio that drives an aftermarket 4-channel JBL power amp, rather than its own power amp. The power switch was also modified to bring up the antenna and turn on the power amp.
I'm going to check ground at the antenna. Meanwhile, what booster mfg. did you install, and where did you install it?
thanks
Old 10-08-2012, 06:12 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by 70mph@2200rpm
I'm going to check ground at the antenna. Meanwhile, what booster mfg. did you install, and where did you install it?
thanks
It was included with the antenna (don't remember the make) and installs between the antennna cable and back of the radio.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:44 PM
70mph@2200rpm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by toddalin
It was included with the antenna (don't remember the make) and installs between the antennna cable and back of the radio.
thanks for the reply.
With the Vintage air ducts behind the radio it was difficult enough installing the radio unit after it's conversion. I suppose the new booster can be spliced in anywhere between the antenna and radio?

Get notified of new replies

To poor fm radio reception

Old 10-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

The antenna cable itself is an often overlooked part of the wiring system. They are equally prone to corrosion from the inside out as the rest of the wiring harness is. Also, the antenna has a grounding plate (or is supposed to have one) on the underside of the body. Check that and the ground wire that goes from there directly to the frame. Pilot Dan
Old 10-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Aussi-66
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using an external FM antenna amplifier is a very practical solution, the problem with these old radios is the poor performance of their FM/RF amplifier. Adding external RF gain is a good solution that is best applied as close to the antenna as possible. There is an antenna connector located in the rear drivers side corner of the trunk. There are inline 12 volt RF amplifiers avialable on the web for about 10 bucks. Just insert the amplifier in the rear corner of the trunk and the old radio will come to life. When you install an inline FM amplifier it is a good idea to reajust the AM antenna trimmer located behind the tuning ****.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:05 PM
70mph@2200rpm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Aussi-66
Using an external FM antenna amplifier is a very practical solution, the problem with these old radios is the poor performance of their FM/RF amplifier. Adding external RF gain is a good solution that is best applied as close to the antenna as possible. There is an antenna connector located in the rear drivers side corner of the trunk. There are inline 12 volt RF amplifiers avialable on the web for about 10 bucks. Just insert the amplifier in the rear corner of the trunk and the old radio will come to life. When you install an inline FM amplifier it is a good idea to reajust the AM antenna trimmer located behind the tuning ****.
Is this the item you are suggesting?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12v-Car-Ante...-/220873703748

Quick Reply: poor fm radio reception