C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tow Dolly

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 08:35 PM
1restoman1
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Tow Dolly

Any of you guys ever do a long distance ( 600 miles ) tow using a tow dolly instead of a full size trailer ? Problems, advice, Thanks
Old 10-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

If I am going to move a car 600 miles I would use a trailer and if it was a Corvette I would use an enclosed trailer. Good luck if you do it.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 1restoman1
Any of you guys ever do a long distance ( 600 miles ) tow using a tow dolly instead of a full size trailer ? Problems, advice, Thanks
I flat towed a 1969 Camaro on a tow bar from South Florida to north of St. Louis once. About 1200 miles. I pulled the driveshaft before going.

It was a hassle in some parking lots during stops.

If you are towing a Corvette, you need to drop the driveshaft and tow it forward facing. It wasn't really intended to tow it backwards that far with the front wheels on the ground.

You will have issues with lights. The Camaro had a trunk, so a rack with lights could be strapped to the trunk lid and provide lights at the rear.

If you follow the rules completely, many of those U-Haul dollies are rated at 45 mph and towing faster is illegal, although it is rare to get stopped.

Get notified of new replies

To Tow Dolly

Quick Reply: Tow Dolly