C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ignition shielding question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 01:17 PM
waltonb123
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ignition shielding question

Does anyone have a picture of a 1960-62 engine with the shielding off? I'm trying to install ignition shielding and I'm having trouble with the right side bracket that holds the coil. It hits the dist and or the vacuum can and there isn't any room to adjust the timing. None of my books or catalogs show the bracket installed.
Thanks, Bob
Old 10-09-2012, 02:17 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by waltonb123
Does anyone have a picture of a 1960-62 engine with the shielding off? I'm trying to install ignition shielding and I'm having trouble with the right side bracket that holds the coil. It hits the dist and or the vacuum can and there isn't any room to adjust the timing. None of my books or catalogs show the bracket installed.
Thanks, Bob
Top photo below is a '67, but the arrangement is the same - if the vacuum advance can is contacting the shielding/coil bracket (or the #8 intake runner in the other direction), the distributor isn't correctly installed; it's either one tooth off, or the drive gear at the bottom of the distributor mainshaft is installed 180* off, which is the equivalent of being half a tooth off (the "dimple" on the gear should point in the same direction as the tip of the rotor when using a factory camshaft).

Second photo isn't a Corvette, but it shows the correct distributor housing orientation and indexing of the wires in the cap with the engine properly timed.
Attached Images   
Old 10-09-2012, 05:42 PM
waltonb123
Pro

Thanks for responding John. I do believe I have my distributor in correctly, it just seems as if there is not enough room for the bracket or I have the wrong bracket. I assume it bolts to the last bolt of the intake but I can't get it close enough because the coil part hits the dist cap. Thats why I was looking for an actual picture of the right hand bracket installed with the coil but without the top shield. The pics with the bracket hitting the dist is just laying there because there isn't room to get it down where it belongs.
Bob
Attached Images      
Old 10-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Geralds57
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 596 Likes on 361 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

It looks like it might be one tooth off on the drive gear. Pull the distributor out and look down the hole and you'll see the oil pump shaft with a slot in the top of it. The distributors drive gear pin slides down over it. Get a long screwdriver and rotate the pump shaft counterclock wise just a little and then reinsert the distributor. You'll feel it drop down over the shaft until it seats. This will move the advance closer to the carb and then the bracket should clear.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:31 PM
waltonb123
Pro

Originally Posted by Geralds57
It looks like it might be one tooth off on the drive gear. Pull the distributor out and look down the hole and you'll see the oil pump shaft with a slot in the top of it. The distributors drive gear pin slides down over it. Get a long screwdriver and rotate the pump shaft counterclock wise just a little and then reinsert the distributor. You'll feel it drop down over the shaft until it seats. This will move the advance closer to the carb and then the bracket should clear.
I think it looks correct especially when I compare it to Johns pics. Plus I think if I move it 1 tooth over the vacuum can will hit the intake.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Here is a shot of my '61. My pertronix vacuum can is nearly hidden by the rotor but you can see how it's oriented.
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Geralds57
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 596 Likes on 361 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by waltonb123
I think it looks correct especially when I compare it to Johns pics. Plus I think if I move it 1 tooth over the vacuum can will hit the intake.
You won't know until you try it.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

See Section-6, pages 11.00 & 12.00 in the AIM. Your distributor has got to off a tooth.
Attached Images   
Old 10-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

When I was playing with my distributor, shielding etc a few years ago, what I remember is this: if the distributor is off one tooth in either direction, nothing fits and you won't be able to time it correctly. Visually trying to determine if the distributor is off by a tooth is extremely difficult.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:55 AM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Intake?

The area you are working in is pretty tight so getting the dizzy set get right critical. I noticed that you have an aftermarket intake and that maybe your problem. Only Corvettes have the shielding so that's probably not a design consideration for aftermarket intakes. If you can't get the advance to work at the "right" location simply clock it around to the driver's side like Franki did.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:03 PM
waltonb123
Pro

Originally Posted by VetteJohn
The area you are working in is pretty tight so getting the dizzy set get right critical. I noticed that you have an aftermarket intake and that maybe your problem. Only Corvettes have the shielding so that's probably not a design consideration for aftermarket intakes. If you can't get the advance to work at the "right" location simply clock it around to the driver's side like Franki did.
I think your right about the intake, it's a Edelbrock C4B and there is very little space between the distributor hole and the runner compared to the Performer that I was using. As far as clocking it like Frankie's, what about the tach drive?

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition shielding question

Quick Reply: Ignition shielding question