C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 Telescoping Steering Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 02:17 PM
LastC3AZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 67 Telescoping Steering Adjustment

Hey gang ..... We're trying to resolve an issue with getting the tele steering column to adjust properly .... just an fyi we are actively communicating with Jim Shea but hoping to maybe get some additional recommendations ...... (and we have his most awesome papers on this subject)
Still can't get this thing to adjust properly .... seems we're missing something .... we tried a longer rod ... and the ball bearing suggestion .....
When the wheel is pulled all the way out ... adjustment can be made per the procedure ..... however when unlocked, the wheel is pushed all way back in, it will not lock with the lever .... the star screw can then be turned (several turns) and will tighten as it should .... when unlocked the wheel can only be pulled up a few inches ...... I wonder if we need to replace the upper shaft ????? Really hoping something really simple we are missing ..... ????? thoughts ????
Old 10-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I had the same problem. you have to turn the inner shaft 180* so there is more meat for the locking wedge to grab onto. in other words the metal in the shaft is wore down enough were it has nothing to lock against.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:35 AM
LastC3AZ
Racer

Thanks for the suggestion .... will give it a shot when I get back to the shop on Monday ..... will let you know the results .....
Doesn't appear the upper shaft is available for replacement .... so short of replacing the entire column (which could certainly have the same problem) am hoping for resolve ...... thx again ....
Old 10-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

like I said that worked for me.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:54 PM
LastC3AZ
Racer

I'd guess we're needing a bit more info on this process ... the guys didn't have the column out when I got there this morning .... but mentioned the two shafts, one inside the other, have factory press stops on them ..... what did you do to get them apart and then how'd you replace the stops ???? Appreciate your taking the time .....
Old 10-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

in the outer shaft there are holes. though one of the holes you can see a drift pin. knock that out. its been over a year since I did this. thats all I remember doing. if you play with it long enough its quite clear how it works. but Im sorry I can't remember all the fine details
Old 10-15-2012, 05:19 PM
LastC3AZ
Racer

Thanks .... will at least give me some things to look at once they get it apart again ..... much appreciated .....
Old 10-15-2012, 10:50 PM
dn69427
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 67 tele column

My column failed at the lower bearing. Corvette Specialties of MD (now Corvette Specialites of MD West) restored my column. They did a great job talk to Brian, very knowledgable, I was told I probably bought the last NOS 67 shaft from this guy in TN. I recall they were concerned about some plastic locking tabs or something along those lines. Jim Shea's papers and feed back was awesome. Good luck with your restoration, this process taught me there are not many 67 tele columns out there!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:54 AM
LastC3AZ
Racer

Thanks for the contact .... will be talking to them this morning ....

We did the 180 flip as recommended to no avail ... ((thx for the tip)) ... appears we're not the first to have done that ...... now will be looking at the locking wedge and the track in rides ...... love a challenge ....
Old 11-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Corkguy
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Default 67 Tele shaft

I have a shaft, but it has some issues. Send me a message and we can talk furthur.

Its been hamered on the top but might be saveable?

left over pile.

Corkguy
Old 11-28-2012, 08:18 AM
LastC3AZ
Racer

Originally Posted by dn69427
My column failed at the lower bearing. Corvette Specialties of MD (now Corvette Specialites of MD West) restored my column. They did a great job talk to Brian, very knowledgable, I was told I probably bought the last NOS 67 shaft from this guy in TN. I recall they were concerned about some plastic locking tabs or something along those lines. Jim Shea's papers and feed back was awesome. Good luck with your restoration, this process taught me there are not many 67 tele columns out there!
Just wanted to give a shout out to Brian at Corvette Specialities ... was a great help in getting this part of the project done ....... will certainly be using his services again in the future ......

Get notified of new replies

To 67 Telescoping Steering Adjustment

Quick Reply: 67 Telescoping Steering Adjustment