C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 power brake vs manual

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 06:58 AM
ry57pont
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Default 64 power brake vs manual

i am trying to figure out if my 64 had power brakes, it had no master cyl or booster when i got it, no pedals either. were there any additional holes/mounts for a power brake car?

i see in the assembly manual that the power brake cars had a bracket to activate the brake sw. is this not needed on manual barakes?

is the brake rod the same length for both?

thanks - ryan
Old 10-18-2012, 08:30 AM
hokie04
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recenty converted my 64 manual to power. I had to drill two holes for the upper booster bracket to mount throught the firewall into the windshield vent drain area. If you have the holes then you know at least it had power brakes at one time.

The power brakes foot pad should say power brake and the brake pedal arm on manual brakes has two holes one for power and one for manual brakes where the booster or mc arm comes through firewall. I think but am not sure that the power brakes only had one hole in the arm.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 AM
ry57pont
Racer

are the power brakes a good upgrade? why do you need the brake light switch striker on the power brake option and not the manual?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:00 AM
hokie04
Burning Brakes

I love the power brakes they are so much easier to stop. I didn't think it would make much of a difference but I wouldn't go back.

The linkage from the booster is a different length than the linkage from the MC thus the two holes. Easy upgrade.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:53 AM
ry57pont
Racer

would you happen to know the different lengths of the pushrod (power and manual) i have a box of them and dont know what goes to what. - RB
Old 10-18-2012, 09:11 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by ry57pont
are the power brakes a good upgrade? why do you need the brake light switch striker on the power brake option and not the manual?
Because the manual brake system used the top hole in the brake pedal arm for the master cylinder pushrod clevis, and the power brake system used the bottom hole in the pedal arm; power brakes required the bolt-on striker bracket bolted in the top hole to actuate the brake light switch. There was no loose pedal pushrod for power brakes - the pushrod and clevis were part of the power booster assembly.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:33 PM
erb64
Pro

Originally Posted by hokie04
I recenty converted my 64 manual to power. I had to drill two holes for the upper booster bracket to mount throught the firewall into the windshield vent drain area. If you have the holes then you know at least it had power brakes at one time.

The power brakes foot pad should say power brake and the brake pedal arm on manual brakes has two holes one for power and one for manual brakes where the booster or mc arm comes through firewall. I think but am not sure that the power brakes only had one hole in the arm.
Did you buy a kit? Where did you get the parts?? Thinking of doing it to and wondering if it is a difficult upgrade
Thanks

Last edited by erb64; 10-18-2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Poor spelling
Old 10-19-2012, 08:46 AM
hokie04
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by erb64
Did you buy a kit? Where did you get the parts?? Thinking of doing it to and wondering if it is a difficult upgrade
Thanks

I bought the booster, mounting HW from CSSBINC.com and I bought the correct swan vaccum hose and intake fitting from Corvette Central, they were the only vendor I could find that carried the Swan hose but if you don't care about the name you can get the fittings and hose at Napa or any place like that. You will need to find the correct intake vaccum fitting based on your particuliar intake. I have a 327/300hp cast iron intake.

PS:The install was easy, hardest part bleeding system. Be sure to bench bleed your MC. I used my stock MC.

Last edited by hokie04; 10-19-2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: addition
Old 10-19-2012, 07:54 PM
erb64
Pro

Originally Posted by hokie04
I bought the booster, mounting HW from CSSBINC.com and I bought the correct swan vaccum hose and intake fitting from Corvette Central, they were the only vendor I could find that carried the Swan hose but if you don't care about the name you can get the fittings and hose at Napa or any place like that. You will need to find the correct intake vaccum fitting based on your particuliar intake. I have a 327/300hp cast iron intake.

PS:The install was easy, hardest part bleeding system. Be sure to bench bleed your MC. I used my stock MC.
Thanks sir
Old 10-19-2012, 08:05 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by ry57pont
I have factory 4 wheel discs on my 63 no PB. I am so glad I didn't add power brakes or steering when I first bought mine.

The road feel and response is top notch. I would never change it now.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:28 PM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MiguelsC2
I have factory 4 wheel discs on my 63 no PB.
Wow.....factory 4 wheels disc brakes on a 1963 Corvette...groovy.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:29 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by RestoMike
Wow.....factory 4 wheels disc brakes on a 1963 Corvette...groovy.
Yes they are real groovy,especially with 17 inch wheels and tires.

Is that some kind of issue? This isn't the NCRS Forum.

Get notified of new replies

To 64 power brake vs manual

Quick Reply: 64 power brake vs manual