C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Windshield scratch removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 11:45 AM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Windshield scratch removal

I already did a search on this and nothing turned up....my '65 has the original windshield in it and quite a few wiper scratch marks (not deep) ... is there anything that I can use to polish it up and remove the scratches?
Old 10-20-2012, 11:51 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

I have a dated original 65 windshield in good condition if you are interested PM me
Old 10-20-2012, 12:36 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
I have a dated original 65 windshield in good condition if you are interested PM me
back at ya with a pm
Old 10-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by vt65
I already did a search on this and nothing turned up....my '65 has the original windshield in it and quite a few wiper scratch marks (not deep) ... is there anything that I can use to polish it up and remove the scratches?
Yes.

Many places sell glass polishing kits. If the scratches are deep enough to catch your fingernail, they're usually too deep to polish out.

If you polish too deep, you'll create an optical effect, like the lenses in a pair of glasses.

If you heat the glass up too much, it'll crack and/or begin to delaminate.

You can give it a go.

All that being said, you might be able to find an old time glass shop that can still polish windshields.

There was one such place when I lived in Baltimore.....

Chuck
Old 10-20-2012, 01:01 PM
vt65
Safety Car

thanks Chuck, will look into a polish kit, have all winter to work on it so I will go slow if I go that route...Rob
Old 10-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
Yes.

Many places sell glass polishing kits. If the scratches are deep enough to catch your fingernail, they're usually too deep to polish out.

If you polish too deep, you'll create an optical effect, like the lenses in a pair of glasses.

If you heat the glass up too much, it'll crack and/or begin to delaminate.

You can give it a go.

All that being said, you might be able to find an old time glass shop that can still polish windshields.

There was one such place when I lived in Baltimore.....

Chuck

Chuck is absolutely correct, if the scratch is deep enough to catch with a fingernail you'll only create a bad optical effect by trying to polish it out.

If it's more like a surface blemish and not too bad, you might have some success by polishing it out. As with most things of this nature, one is usually better off finding someone who specializes in this sort of repair rather than trying the do-it-yourself route. If you should choose to go the do-it-yourself route, Eastwood (along with various other firms) sells a glass polish or a glass polishing kit to allow you to do so. Google "Eastwood automotive" for their website and do a search on "glass polishing" or similar.

Best Wishes,

Old 10-20-2012, 01:26 PM
vt65
Safety Car

thanks Ron, went on their site, they have some good looking products...Rob

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield scratch removal

Quick Reply: Windshield scratch removal