C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vingage AIr Install question ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:22 PM
csysman
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Vingage AIr Install question ?

Looking for any pics of Vintage air installation on your 1967 L79
I heard that one should install the compressor and lines on the driver side rather then pass side because the removal of some a/c components is necessary to replace the battery ... has any one ran into this concern with the Gen IV Vintage air system ?
Thanx as always
csysman
Old 10-22-2012, 11:46 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I installed mine on the passenger side. Changing the battery is tough. I did not have to disconnect the ac just pushed the lines to the side a picked up the battery
Old 10-23-2012, 01:00 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by 54greg
I installed mine on the passenger side. Changing the battery is tough. I did not have to disconnect the ac just pushed the lines to the side a picked up the battery
If you are using a period correct battery.You have turn the battery on it's end for removal.Not too big a problem with a sealed top.
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2012, 01:01 AM
gjfeng
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by csysman
Looking for any pics of Vintage air installation on your 1967 L79
I heard that one should install the compressor and lines on the driver side rather then pass side because the removal of some a/c components is necessary to replace the battery ... has any one ran into this concern with the Gen IV Vintage air system ?
Thanx as always
csysman
I just looked at the Gen IV system installation manual online and boy has it changed from the older SureFit system I put on 67 base engine car about 8 years ago. As it is the older system, I photo would do you no good.

On your question about putting the compressor and lines on the driver side on a 67, I don't think so, but you had better check with Vintage Air.

The manual says to remove the battery if on the passenger side, but I think only for access and installation of the evaporator and lines. At the end of the manual, it says to replace the removed parts, and I would assume that the battery goes back where it was on the passenger side. There are no instructions about relocating the battery.

Like I said above, I put in the older (not Gen IV) SureFit Series in my 67 327/300 and it was a snap with very few modifications to original parts, actually reused my original heater fan switch, and defroster cable.

The Gen IV system looks a lot more complicated with electron controls replacing the OEM. The glove box liner is changed, and you will also loose the passenger side vent and cable. Not sure about the driver side vent.

I think I would have re-thought putting in the system in 2004, had it been the current Gen IV. They had a great product then, why did they change it.

Jerry Fuccillo
Old 10-23-2012, 01:22 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gjfeng
There are no instructions about relocating the battery.

I think I would have re-thought putting in the system in 2004, had it been the current Gen IV. They had a great product then, why did they change it.

Jerry Fuccillo
Totally. The Gen iv is a deal killer for me. I am glad I didn;t wait for it. I installed the old system about 3 yrs ago.

Looks like just another add on a/c. Poor line routing etc..
Old 10-23-2012, 05:32 AM
csysman
Drifting

Thanx for your comments .... any one have the new system in place that is happy with it ... or should I just scrap the Idea?
Old 10-23-2012, 09:05 AM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 372 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by csysman
Thanx for your comments .... any one have the new system in place that is happy with it ... or should I just scrap the Idea?
I do and for the life of me I do not understand why folks aren't happy with the Gen IV system. Yes you do lose the passenger side vent but so what. It's just that, for the passenger, which in my case is the wifey, and she didn't even know it was there to begin with.
Yes you cut down on the glove box size. But so what. I still keep papers and other non-essential items in there.
The system cleans up the passenger side of the firewall and now battery access is at least possible.
Oh and the system works like gangbusters with excellent cooling, heating, and all blending in between.
I really think that if God himself designed the system, many folks here would find something to complain about it.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:27 AM
rdc
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLWRNU
I do and for the life of me I do not understand why folks aren't happy with the Gen IV system. Yes you do lose the passenger side vent but so what. It's just that, for the passenger, which in my case is the wifey, and she didn't even know it was there to begin with.
Yes you cut down on the glove box size. But so what. I still keep papers and other non-essential items in there.
The system cleans up the passenger side of the firewall and now battery access is at least possible.
Oh and the system works like gangbusters with excellent cooling, heating, and all blending in between.
I really think that if God himself designed the system, many folks here would find something to complain about it.
I also love the GenIV system now that VA worked with me to solve my issue with the drivers side eyeball location (only an issue with '63-'65). I was able to "save" my passenger side vent by routing the hoses through the heater core opening instead of the vent.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:46 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

With the Gen IV, I found it very difficult to fit all 4 of the 2-1/2" vent hoses behind the radio where they exit the distribution box. Two of them have to make 180 degree turns as they exit the box. They pinch shut and no air comes through. I finally gave up, blocked off one of the hose connections at the box and the other 3 fit just fine. I lost air from the radio side panel vent on the passenger side but I have very cold air blowing out the other 3 vents which is more than enough.

Also, when the system was installed, the installer ran the heater hoses and the A/C hoses over top of the battery making the battery impossible to remove. Replacing the heater hoses with long hoses routed around the battery will be easy enough to do. I think the A/C hoses can just be pulled out of the way.

Overall, I like the system. It blows very cold air and that's what it's all about.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:39 AM
csysman
Drifting

Thank u to those of you that replied ... i have a friend going to the SEMA Trade show Oct 30 and will give him a list of my concerns --- some of which have been listed here ... moving down to south Florida ... need the air if Im to enjoy the car .
Old 10-23-2012, 11:53 AM
5869vette
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just put a gen 4 in my `64 coupe this summer, It makes my car
much more enjoyable. I would suggest buying direct from VA.
Also suggest ordering the compressor with the rear exit lines,
because of the offset of the engine and the tight fit of the compressor
and the inner fender on the passenger side.
Just my experience with the install, but I know someone will
find an exceptation.

Tony
Old 10-23-2012, 02:20 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

IMHO
It's ugly inside and out and it cuts a basic factory installed function (fresh air). I use my fresh air vents often. The change in console side panels looks cheesy and the air duct running under the glove looks VERY aftermarket.

I do not consider the drivers side duct to be attractive and I found nothing wrong with it's location before..

I installed my own system. I wonder how many who complain of the old system actually installed their own?

As for the battery? No problems taking mine out. Last but not least. You don't need an electronic system in such a small car.I would not have purchased the Gen iv because of the above.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:24 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 5869vette
Just put a gen 4 in my `64 coupe this summer, It makes my car
much more enjoyable. I would suggest buying direct from VA.
Also suggest ordering the compressor with the rear exit lines,
because of the offset of the engine and the tight fit of the compressor
and the inner fender on the passenger side.
Just my experience with the install, but I know someone will
find an exceptation.

Tony
Yes you will.

The previous system had no problem cooling.

I opted not to do the rear exit lines.They make changing plugs much harder and cause interference in an already cluttered area.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:51 PM
65Bob-bo
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

How difficult to route an air line up near the clock, add a aftermkt vent, and make it look like factory air? Eventually will add a unit to my '65.
Bob
Old 10-23-2012, 05:00 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65Bob-bo
How difficult to route an air line up near the clock, add a aftermkt vent, and make it look like factory air? Eventually will add a unit to my '65.
Bob
The Gen IV will never look even close to factory air on the interior.

IMHO the only vent that will look right above the clock is the factory design. The vent repro parts alone are about $400. Not to mention proper glasswork.

The C2 interior is so small the upper vent isn't really missed too much.First time around I wasn't ready for a job like that. But if I ever disassemble my dash again. I may add it.

Here's a link to the parts.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050i

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 10-23-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:48 PM
65Bob-bo
Pro

Originally Posted by MiguelsC2
The Gen IV will never look even close to factory air on the interior.

IMHO the only vent that will look right above the clock is the factory design. The vent repro parts alone are about $400. Not to mention proper glasswork.

The C2 interior is so small the upper vent isn't really missed too much.First time around I wasn't ready for a job like that. But if I ever disassemble my dash again. I may add it.

Here's a link to the parts.

Miguel, with the Corvette Central parts will there be a hose connection back to the source under the dash? Or will it have to be modified by Vintage Air to accept another hose??
Bob
Old 10-23-2012, 05:56 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Miguel, with the Corvette Central parts will there be a hose connection back to the source under the dash? Or will it have to be modified by Vintage Air to accept another hose??
Bob
You use the two hose outlets that normally connect to each console side panel (thats where the air comes out on the VA kit). And route them up to the center outlet.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 10-23-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Vingage AIr Install question ?

Old 10-23-2012, 06:16 PM
65Bob-bo
Pro

So you lose the side vents. I suppose the factory AC did not have side vents. I can check in my AIM book. Miguel, thanks for your expertise.
Bob
Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

So you lose the side vents. I suppose the factory AC did not have side vents. I can check in my AIM book. Miguel, thanks for your expertise.
Bob
Correction:
The side vents are used for the heater/ac. VA system has plenty of fan cfm. You could probably create a splitter and keep the side panel heater/ac

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 10-23-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:18 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been happy with the original vintage unit for over 100000 miles in my coupe for the last 15 years, but after installing the new gen 4 unit in my roadster it is like night and day, it is so much better in all aspects than the earlier unit.

The 2 problems are very easy to solve.

You do need to block off the rear lower exit duct because the bend is to tight to let air out. Then use a plastic y duct available from vintage and run 2 hoses from the y to the different sides along with the other 2 hoses keeping each in balance.

There is no need to lose the the right side vent, just use your old heater cover and run the heater hoses and refg. Lines out the blower motor hole.

The blend capabilities and variable fan speed of the new system is
awesome plus no mechanical cables to fool with.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Vingage AIr Install question ?