C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The LED tail light idea....now I need help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 01:13 PM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default The LED tail light idea....now I need help.

From Superbrightled.com

They post this information about LEDS.
Brightness of LED Car Bulbs
Standard LED bulbs are generally not as bright as standard incandescent bulbs, they have many advantages over filament bulbs (longer life, faster on/off times, lower power consumption, more vivid colors) but brightness is not one of them. They are generally not as bright but some of them with large numbers of LEDs, will appear brighter than filament bulbs. As an exception, our High Power LED car bulbs are as bright or brighter than most standard filament car bulbs. The light is distributed differently so they can appear brighter in some applications and not as bright in others, it depends on the size and shape of the bulb housing and reflector.

Most LED bulbs emit light like a flashlight, all out the end. Regular filament bulbs emit light from the end and all sides, so they will be better suited for some lighting applications than LED bulbs. This is the same reason why we do not rate LED car bulbs in lumens or watts, the numbers would be deceptively low because the light is measured from all sides and the end on standard filament bulbs but only from the end on LED bulbs.

Doug's light.

Doug are you happy with these? Did you use the flasher Frankie used?
The EF-32RL I wrote it down!

Their top in intensity and brightness. Is this really going to be better that the above?

I've always called these cars "ghosts in the night" when driving at night. Ready and bored so figgure I might as well have something to do.

Unless other reccomendations I plan to do Doug's choice and Frankies flasher.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:52 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I an VERY happy with the three lens LED, I used red for the rear and amber for the front (to be different), the C1 housing offer almost no reflection capability,and the shrouded cone makes the unidirectional 3 lens bulb blast all of its energy out the back, rather than waste it on non reflective sides.

My brake lights light up the garage door in a big way, and they are quite dazzling to look at from the rear, you almost want to turn your eyes away.

I put the same thing in a '72 "Vette and they work very well there, also.

I used a different electronic flasher, mine plugged right into the socket, i think Franks has the polarity reversed, requiring the adapter leads.

Doug
Old 10-23-2012, 02:11 PM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AZDoug
I an VERY happy with the three lens LED, I used red for the rear and amber for the front (to be different), the C1 housing offer almost no reflection capability,and the shrouded cone makes the unidirectional 3 lens bulb blast all of its energy out the back, rather than waste it on non reflective sides.

My brake lights light up the garage door in a big way, and they are quite dazzling to look at from the rear, you almost want to turn your eyes away.

I put the same thing in a '72 "Vette and they work very well there, also.

I used a different electronic flasher, mine plugged right into the socket, i think Franks has the polarity reversed, requiring the adapter leads.

Doug
Could you post the number of your flasher this week? I usually order stuff then work on it when I have it all anyway. So you left in the cone? To protect the bulb?
Old 10-23-2012, 02:41 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by INMYBLOOD
Could you post the number of your flasher this week? I usually order stuff then work on it when I have it all anyway. So you left in the cone? To protect the bulb?
???

The lenses are cone shaped, i know of no other cone in a '61 tail lights, something may be in a '63 and up. By shrouded cone, i mean that the lens is cone shaped,a nd the metal housing shrouds the cone from side viewing, so side directed light, is wasted..

The number on my flasher is 10R 20-7024, not sure where i got it from, their tech support can probably help.

The schematic on the flasher shows pin 49 as + and pin 49a as -, that is probably what you need to know.

Doug
Old 10-23-2012, 02:49 PM
macs65
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I installed the LED's in my 65 about 3 years ago the original flasher was replaced with one included in the package. However neither one would allow the LED's to work properly. I reversed the polarity to the flasher by switching the the two wires in the female plug.
Works fine, No problems
Old 10-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

From Superbrightled.com

They are generally not as bright but some of them with large numbers of LEDs, will appear brighter than filament bulbs.
Which is why I went with the complete, sealed tail light LED cone assemblies that have 15 LEDs! I had a video somewhere (which I cannot find right now) showing my setup in operations. The multiple LEDs are substantially brighter looking. The solid state flasher number that I cited before on this topic will work in virtually any situation.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:44 PM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AZDoug
???

The lenses are cone shaped, i know of no other cone in a '61 tail lights, something may be in a '63 and up. By shrouded cone, i mean that the lens is cone shaped,a nd the metal housing shrouds the cone from side viewing, so side directed light, is wasted..

The number on my flasher is 10R 20-7024, not sure where i got it from, their tech support can probably help.

The schematic on the flasher shows pin 49 as + and pin 49a as -, that is probably what you need to know.

Doug
Opps, Doug forgot yours is a 61. On my 58 I have the clear Madonna domes and the red lens covers. If you like them I'll like them.
Thanks Gordon.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:04 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Yours are shrouded also, but sort of upside down compared to mine.

You will really give someone an eyeful of light with those.

Doug
Old 10-23-2012, 06:14 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Which is why I went with the complete, sealed tail light LED cone assemblies that have 15 LEDs! I had a video somewhere (which I cannot find right now) showing my setup in operations. The multiple LEDs are substantially brighter looking. The solid state flasher number that I cited before on this topic will work in virtually any situation.
Why not go all the way and get the 45 led units? I don't see anything stronger than them.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:17 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

From Superbrightled.com

Their top in intensity and brightness. Is this really going to be better that the above?

Yes
Old 10-23-2012, 06:55 PM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

About a year ago I installed these on my 60 and I have been very happy with them.

They are brighter than a bulb and and I did not have to change out the flasher. Although it is a red lens, you can not tell that it has replaced the clear lens.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORVETTE-195...sories&vxp=mtr
Old 10-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by MiguelsC2
Why not go all the way and get the 45 led units? I don't see anything stronger than them.
Bought mine before those were available.
However, my '67 Chevelle has 68 LED tail lights on each side
Old 10-23-2012, 07:04 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Bought mine before those were available.
However, my '67 Chevelle has 68 LED tail lights on each side
Wow those should attract an alien mothership!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:11 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I put those 45 LED bulbs in my stock (repop) '37 Ford pickup tail lights and they are pretty wimpy, though better that 1157 Edison bulbs as there is no reflective surface inside to reflect the side LEDs, so all you really see is the light emitted from the end surface; I switched to the three to rear (3x1.3w) and it was noticeably brighter, and put the 45 LED bulbs in a trailer.

Power doesn't tell the entire story, reflectivity of the housing is the part that is being ignored..

Doug
Old 10-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Wow those should attract an alien mothership!
Very bright...but you have to drop the rear bumper on a Chevelle to swap in the new one piece tail lights... A PITA...
Old 10-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Not all LEDs are equal.........

Frank's and Doug's use brighter LEDs than the typical multi LED "replacement bulbs". I have the Superbrights in the front, and integrated lens/LEDs (like Frank) in the rear.

I was severely disappointed in the 30 or 45 multi LED crap.

I got my electronic flasher from Auto Zone (it is yellow, if that helps). Pluged in and worked with no issues, other than it was too quiet (I made a chime for it).

Plasticman
Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

I bought the 15 LED lense/lights for my 67 that Frank posted a link to and they are great. Still looking for his flasher recommendation of EF-32RL, NAPA and Murray's didn't have it. Will do a Google search shortly.
Rick

Get notified of new replies

To The LED tail light idea....now I need help.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 PM
3310vette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I purchased two sets of 1157 two filament LED bulbs and tried to install them in the parking/turn signal housings on my 1960. They had the offset bayonet mount, would insert, start to turn for the lock in, but never would lock into place. This happened with two sets of LED bulbs from two different makers.

I finally twisted to the tops of each set of the expensive LED bulbs and threw them in the garbage. I ground down the ends of the LED bulbs, but did not help.I realize 1960 front light bulbs should be 1034, but I believe the bayonet mounting is the same. I can insert incandescent 1157s in the front housings and they twist and lock.

Any suggestions or similar experience?
Old 10-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Wow - I walked right into my local Advance Auto and got the EF-32RL solid state flasher right off the rack. I put LEDs in my front parking lights with no problem with the socket or bayonet mounting.... I DID put new sockets and pig tails in the front not long before switching to LEDs up front though.

I'm even running LED for my rear license plate light to keep from constantly frying the plastic bulb cover.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-23-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:56 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ricks327
. Still looking for his flasher recommendation of EF-32RL, NAPA and Murray's didn't have it.

Rick
Why do you want to do a special wiring harness to make that flasher work?

That number has the reverse polarity for what is needed to plug right into the socket on teh fuse block.

Doug

Quick Reply: The LED tail light idea....now I need help.