C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Wrote an article about the '63 Grandsport...thought I'd share.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Wrote an article about the '63 Grandsport...thought I'd share.

Hello C1/2 section!

I recently started writing for CorvetteOnline.com and forgot to share my first article with you all! Click below for link.

1963 Grand Sport: Better to Ask Forgiveness than Permission?

Be easy on me! lol

Old 10-24-2012, 06:44 PM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Congratulations! You should be proud as it is an accomplishment.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:49 PM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 77 Posts

Nice article. One minor correction. The tube frames were steel tubing not aluminum. The birdcage was aluminum as was the rear housing and a bunch of other smaller parts. According to Bill Tower owner of #005 the 377 ci small blocks dynoed at 425 hp. ----
-------------------- Ken McCorry
Old 10-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by keystonefarm
Nice article. One minor correction. The tube frames were steel tubing not aluminum. The birdcage was aluminum as was the rear housing and a bunch of other smaller parts. According to Bill Tower owner of #005 the 377 ci small blocks dynoed at 425 hp. ----
-------------------- Ken McCorry
Thanks!

To be honest I was a little wary about posting it here, since I knew any and every mistake would be pointed out. But then I realized that's better than ignoring them!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:13 PM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Good to see the article !!! Always glad to see something about the 5 original GS's. One major problem with the cars is that they changed so much over the years, two went from coupes to roadsters, at least 4-5 different hoods, knock offs or bolt ons, different flares , small blocks, big blocks and many other changes. I've been following the cars since I was 14 back in 1962 !! Back then and up until the 96 version of a GS most people thought I was talking about a Buick and not a Corvette when I mentioned Grand Sport !!! Scary to think that 50 years ago this coming January I first laid eyes on a real GS at Roger Penske's garage in Newtown Square Pa. ----------- Ken McCorry
Old 10-25-2012, 05:46 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

I think that you missed a major point that aided with weight reduction (which BTW was only about 39% not "nearly half").

The Grand Sports were built to 7/8ths scale. I never saw this mentioned.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:30 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by keystonefarm
Scary to think that 50 years ago this coming January I first laid eyes on a real GS at Roger Penske's garage in Newtown Square Pa. ----------- Ken McCorry
And that car sat out behind the bulding under a tarp for almost a year before they found someone that would pay $6K for it.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:41 PM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnZ
And that car sat out behind the bulding under a tarp for almost a year before they found someone that would pay $6K for it.
Don't remind me John !!!! I still have the ad from Hot Rod magazine for the Wintersteen car . When I first saw the car at the Simone Museum early this month I almost cried as it looked exactly the same as I remembered. -------------- Ken
Old 10-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by toddalin
I think that you missed a major point that aided with weight reduction (which BTW was only about 39% not "nearly half").

Interesting...I never knew that. Do you have a source by chance?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:35 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdman
Interesting...I never knew that. Do you have a source by chance?
Probably listening to one of Dick Guldstrand's many stories over the past 25 years. I think I recall him saying that they never parked them right next to a stock model because they didn't want the difference noticed. He could probably tell you and they have a web site.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:08 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by toddalin

This is urban legend. Although the body panels weren't exactly the same shape as their production counter parts, the overall size of the Grand Sports was the same.

To put the matter to rest, years ago I asked Tom Armstrong about this long standing rumour. He responded by telling me he parked #003 besides Paul Reinhart's Z06 and there was no difference in overall size.

Now, having said that, #003 does appear small, but it's an optical illusion created by some creative body modifications made by an earlier owner in the interest of improved aerodynamics.

Bottom line, the Grand Sports are not 7/8 scale.

Jim
Old 10-25-2012, 10:47 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
This is urban legend. Although the body panels weren't exactly the same shape as their production counter parts, the overall size of the Grand Sports was the same.

To put the matter to rest, years ago I asked Tom Armstrong about this long standing rumour. He responded by telling me he parked #003 besides Paul Reinhart's Z06 and there was no difference in overall size.

Now, having said that, #003 does appear small, but it's an optical illusion created by some creative body modifications made by an earlier owner in the interest of improved aerodynamics.

Bottom line, the Grand Sports are not 7/8 scale.

Jim
Thank you Jim for clearing that up!

Get notified of new replies

To Wrote an article about the '63 Grandsport...thought I'd share.

Quick Reply: Wrote an article about the '63 Grandsport...thought I'd share.