C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The Do-it-myself '63 resto-mod project

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 08:05 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

New wiper motor installed. I first cut a big hole in the firewall, but then realized it would be much easier to make and adapter plate and bolt it to the existing firewall, so I glued back in most of what I cut out and just left and access hole in the bottom.
Attached Images   
Old 09-10-2014, 08:09 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I sent a bunch of parts to oldschool plating in Delaware. They did a nice job. Probably could have painted some of the parts, but wanted a more durable finish especially on the door latch parts.
Attached Images   
Old 09-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
New wiper motor installed. I first cut a big hole in the firewall, but then realized it would be much easier to make and adapter plate and bolt it to the existing firewall, so I glued back in most of what I cut out and just left and access hole in the bottom.
Ken, I was curious how you were going to mount the wiper motor. I am a freak about clean firewalls and your looks awesome. So this bracket unbolts and allows you to remove the wiper motor from under the dash? I would hope once in and working there is no reason to have to pull it back out.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:21 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks very, very good! You are on the downhill side! Great job!!
Old 09-12-2014, 11:15 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Unbolt the bracket from the body or the motor from the bracket, either way would be tough once everything is back together. I hope i never have to do that.

Squeezed the gas tank up in to place. When I test fitted it many months ago when doing the body work I must not have had the filler neck on. I had to turn it on its side, then up and in, then rotate back down. REAL tight fit this time. Rick's tanks was the supplier.
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2014, 08:58 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I modified the original front lower bumper bracket to bolt up to the SRIII chassis. I'm glad I test fitted the bumpers when doing the body work so there were no surprises when doing the final install. Fronts came out nice and level.
Attached Images    
Old 09-21-2014, 09:02 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I added glass where the rear bumpers mounted to the body so I didn't have to shim anything. I also glassed in the rear lower panel to give it a nice clean look.
Attached Images   
Old 09-21-2014, 09:03 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

testing out some custom license plates too.
Attached Images   
Old 09-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I ordered the glass from http://www.streetrodglass.com/ They were a few hundred dollars less than AutoCity. Funny how the sticker on the windshield shows the customer as AutoCity.
The windshield fit fine and was way easier to put in than I expected. I haven't messed with the side glass yet.
Attached Images   
Old 09-21-2014, 10:06 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
I ordered the glass from http://www.streetrodglass.com/ They were a few hundred dollars less than AutoCity. Funny how the sticker on the windshield shows the customer as AutoCity.
The windshield fit fine and was way easier to put in than I expected. I haven't messed with the side glass yet.
That 6.76mm is original production glass thickness, not the thinner (.180") you usually find today.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:59 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Side exhaust installed. I used Classic Chambered Vettepacks with 20" resonators and 20" chambers. I bought the mounting ears from Allen's. I searched all over to see how people mounted these things to aftermarket frames when I was mocking them up months ago, but couldn't find any pictures. So, here are some closeup of the mounting in the rear. I used the rubber bushings and cover bracket in the rear from the stock side pipe mounting kit from Paragon.
Attached Images    
Old 10-02-2014, 11:01 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

The sticks were coated with Cerakote. If they sound half as good as they look I'll be real happy.
Attached Images   
Old 10-02-2014, 11:31 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I've spent countless hours looking at wheels online. Not an easy decision. I've narrowed it down to these 4. I'm deciding tomorrow morning and ordering.
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2014, 07:28 AM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

I've spent countless hours looking at wheels online. Not an easy decision. I've narrowed it down to these 4. I'm deciding tomorrow morning and ordering.
. . . . . really?
Old 10-03-2014, 08:22 AM
HAVNFUN64
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please don't! Your car look great. Those wheels are REALLY bad. I don't like being negative but just felt I needed to step in.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:42 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

I'm surprised you managed to get the front bumper mounts to work...I did not have that luck and could not get them to fit correctly after cutting the brackets. I ended up using square tubing and sliding it into the slot in the bumpers.

I agree on the wheels. It's your car, but I don't think those wheels are going to look good...they look like they are made for a cadillac escalade. Have you used photoshop to see what they will look like on your car?
Old 10-04-2014, 08:57 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Okay, Okay, maybe there're a little too Blingy. I went back and looked at the stock Z06 style wheels available and think I found something I like better. I"m doing the Nitto Invo tires.

I implemented the Rzepka method on my gas cap lid. The repro ones have those milled in rings on the white background that look bad. After drilling out the rivets to separate the assembly, I filled in the emblem part with body putty, sanded down the backside with 220 up to 1000, then sprayed it. I rebuffed the top side of the acrylic with my flex buffer and chemical guys v38 polish to take out any scratches.
I glued it back together, twice, using panel adhesive. You have to use it sparingly otherwise it oozes behind the white background and you see it from the front.
Attached Images    

Get notified of new replies

To The Do-it-myself '63 resto-mod project

Old 10-04-2014, 08:58 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I used Pearl white.
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2014, 07:02 PM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Ken - I'm honored to have a modification named after me - haa haa

Glad it worked out for you as well as it did for me - that emblem is the center piece of the rear half of the car, looks like a piece of jewelry after the modification, huh?

The car is looking awesome - you seem to be following in my steps though - getting things so close to be finished right in time for winter! You'll have a fun 2015 summer to look forward too, like I did 2014!

Later,
Rich
Old 10-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rzepka_r
Ken - I'm honored to have a modification named after me - haa haa

Glad it worked out for you as well as it did for me - that emblem is the center piece of the rear half of the car, looks like a piece of jewelry after the modification, huh?

The car is looking awesome - you seem to be following in my steps though - getting things so close to be finished right in time for winter! You'll have a fun 2015 summer to look forward too, like I did 2014!

Later,
Rich
Thanks, Yep, looks way better without the circular machine grooves in the background.

My friend Joe stopped by the other day right after my new rims arrived. As we were opening the box he said that would make a great centerpiece. So, i had to try it out as such. My wife said "Where does that part go?"
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: The Do-it-myself '63 resto-mod project