C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The Do-it-myself '63 resto-mod project

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 09:51 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 203 Posts

"My wife said "Where does that part go?""

Our wives would get along well!

The wheels look good! Are those 12" for the rear?
Old 10-11-2014, 10:49 AM
HAVNFUN64
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to step on your wheel choice but those look much better. The level of detail on your car is great keep up the good work. When you are done put some miles on those tires don't keep it locked in the garage (weather permitting). If these car where built to sit in a garage the wheels would be square.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:09 AM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

That breeze you're feeling is a collective sigh of relief from all the forum members on your secondary wheel choice...whew, you had us all worried for a minute. Fabulous build...enjoying the thread immensely.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

LOL, thanks guys. Wheels are Centennial Cup for Z06, 12" rears, 10" fronts.
Everyone can breathe a little easier again because I'm not buying the chainlink steering wheel I picked out, but a billet half wrapped one.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:35 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

A few show off pictures of the cowl and the hood. I must have 60+ hours into the hood alone. The frame was broken above the hinge area so needed to be separated, reinforced, glued back together etc. The reflection of the tree is pretty cool. The tree looks like it right overhead, but is actually 60+ feet away.
Attached Images    
Old 10-29-2014, 08:39 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

a few more pics
Attached Images    
Old 10-30-2014, 08:59 PM
Marks Hotrod Garage
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Beautiful work. Most people dont realize how much time it takes to do quality paintwork.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:33 AM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

nice dingo ken, typical lab. jim
Old 10-31-2014, 11:23 AM
65silververt
Safety Car

I see your yellow lab is helping! I have two female chocolate labs and I am always amazed by how much they sleep.

Wiper cowls look great! Too bad only people like us will notice!
Old 11-01-2014, 09:38 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by toocrazy
Beautiful work. Most people dont realize how much time it takes to do quality paintwork.
Originally Posted by toocrazy
Amen to that brother! I have hundreds of hours into the paint work. I can justify $20K for a show quality paint job.

Yeah, the lab is pretty much worthless on this project. When she's not watching me, she's snoozing.

The chrome on my gauge cluster was not good, and it had a crack in it. I read many disaster stories about rechroming the cluster, but thought there had to be someone who knew how to do it. After calling many chrome shops, Lubrandi's in PA sounded confident they could do it. Here are some before and after shots. It came out great. I later found out the trick to not ruining the camera case texture while chroming is to use a cyanide copper layer which doesn't go on as thick as an arsenic copper layer, or maybe its reversed, but something like that.
Attached Images     
Old 11-01-2014, 09:56 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I used SEM trim black and was able to keep the camera case look.
I spent many hours trying to decide which gauges to use. Too many choices for me. This was the end result.

Ididit tilt column. I chose Wipelli black leather for the dash. Ultra soft and supple. The first upholsterer I gave my stuff too got real busy with higher end work, then took on a contract for thousands of seats at the stadium and airport, so my job was delayed indefinitely. My dad knew his dad from back in the day, but that didn't get me anywhere.
So, I move onto another guy who said he'd cover the pads in a couple days, which turned into a couple weeks. So I'm out of that guy currently in limbo looking for another upholster to do my seats, door panels and top.
Attached Images     
Old 11-01-2014, 11:05 AM
HAVNFUN64
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ken your work could beat a lot of so-called Pro shops. The dash looks great. If you don't mind how much and how long did it take to chrome your gauge surround? If you have time could you send me there contact info.
I also agree that the details in side the vents and other places most people wouldn't see make your build top-notch. You and Chris among others on this forum are driving me to pay attention to the details on my project more closely which in turn is helping me to build a car far beyond what I thought I could. Thanks for sharing your build.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you. Librandi's http://www.carchrome.com/ $250 to repair the crack and chrome it. Took about 12 weeks for that and my vent windows ($200 ea.) and clock bezel ($70).
Old 11-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's some eye and ear candy for you all. I probably need a tune given I'm running headers, higher lift cam, and have the MAF <2" from the TB, but she still sounds good. I used Classic Chambered exhaust, 2.5" ID vettepak muffler, 20" of chamber, 20" of resonator. I like it, not the high raspy sound, just the low grumble, except when you're on the gas, then its the medium grumble.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:57 PM
65silververt
Safety Car

You have one of the cleanest engine bays i have seen yet on a restomod! Great work!
Love the intake, but I am not sure how you are ever going to get it to run right with the mass air sensor directly after two 90 degree bends and so close to the throttle body.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:58 PM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Ken,

Looks great!!!

I think I will always remember the first start of mine - wait till you take the first real spin around town!

As Chris mentioned, you may have some issues with the MAF that close to the throttle and two 90 degree bends. It's going to see a lot of turbulent air and not read the air flow accurately, which will cause a number of calculation errors. I'm very lucky to have Hutters not too far away, you are going to have to do some searching to find someone with a dyno that really knows their stuff on tuning modified LSx motors. The good news is it idles pretty well and comes off a little rev pretty good, so you're not too bad.. Resist the urge to play too much, with all the changes, before getting it tuned... Wide open doesn't look at the oxygen sensors in the same way and, with your changes, you could be lean there..

I think I mentioned before, even if you don't ever end up playing with your own tunes, I would really recommend getting Hptuners just to be able to log things AND, additionally, it's set up really well to teach you by doing comparisons of tunes, before and after - you can easily go in and see everything your tuner changed.

Awesome job!!!
Rich
Old 11-15-2014, 10:08 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I have an air straightener before the MAF to smooth out the flow. I was under the assumption it would have to be tuned, but spoke to Street and Performance yesterday who said it should run fine without a tune given my mods. Although it didn't fit my setup, their Y- pipe has the MAF just before the TB. Their engines have run fine on the dyno with this setup.
A somewhat local shop can put the car on a chassis dyno and tune it for $800. Or, http://www.pcmforless.net/ can do a tune by mail for ~$275.
I think I'll just leave it as is for now and get the rest of the car done.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To The Do-it-myself '63 resto-mod project

Old 11-15-2014, 11:49 AM
65LS6C4
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your car is looking awesome Ken.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:32 PM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
Here's some eye and ear candy for you all. I probably need a tune given I'm running headers, higher lift cam, and have the MAF <2" from the TB, but she still sounds good. I used Classic Chambered exhaust, 2.5" ID vettepak muffler, 20" of chamber, 20" of resonator. I like it, not the high raspy sound, just the low grumble, except when you're on the gas, then its the medium grumble.
1113141358 - YouTube
That car looks great-you did a great job!
Sounds so cool, nice and throaty-morly1963
Old 11-15-2014, 12:41 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Ken,

Awesome job! The car looks terrific and sounds even better. My concern in watching the video - at the 1:40 mark - is that you might have an issue fitting the hood. It appears that the dual horn intakes are sitting too high. Have you tried to fit the hood?

Tom

Quick Reply: The Do-it-myself '63 resto-mod project