C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The Do-it-myself '63 resto-mod project

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

Default The Do-it-myself '63 resto-mod project

Well, here it goes, after 2 years of requests by you know who for an inground pool, I'm finally giving in. For all my hardwork ahead for the pool, my wife agreed to our purchasing a corvette convertible for us. (me) you can follow my pool building thread here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/build...ey-t54107.html

I restored a 63 split window back in the early 90's after I got out of college only to sell it in order to get married. After building 2 houses and having 3 great kids, I started poking around the 'old car for sale' websites looking for a new challenge and was intrigued by this whole resto-mod thing. The build threads on this website are very inspiring. Looked at some basket cases but was willing to pay more for a car that didn't have any rust...been there done that.

Found this nice rust free car already worked on and started thinking (dreaming) of what it could be. So, after the usual back and forth with the seller, I took deliver of the car on Friday. Its been stored inside for many years with the chassis already having been restored. The frame is amazing with zero rust or pitting anywhere. It does not have the original motor, so its a great candidate for a resto-mod.

Last edited by Ken Sungela; 09-24-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:42 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Looks like a good candidate for a resto mod. Frame looks brand new! What are your plans with it? Can't wait to see this one done!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:25 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

If the frame is really as nice as it appears in the picture, you have options:
You can have the frame modified by car creations to accept modern suspension OR you can get a premium selling it if you decide to go with a modern new chassis from the many suppliers offering these for the C2s

When I started my project (64 Roadster) I started doing all the research and put as many suppliers for the RestoMods on my web site, vetterodder.com. Please feel free to explore and welcome to our world!!!'

Dan
www.vetterodder.com
www.facebook.com/vetterodder
Old 10-30-2012, 12:27 PM
Cobra_4
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Subscribin'
Old 11-01-2012, 12:24 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Back online after 48 hrs of no power from Sandy. I feel fortunate to only have a couple of trees down and minimal house damage after seeing what happen to the shore towns.
Had enough natural sunlight in the garage to remove the windshield and rest of dash components.

Thanks Dan for your great website. I've been referring to it for a few months leading up to now. I always thought the top flight cars brought the big $$$. This whole resto mod thing has me excited.

After reading the man build threads on this forum, here's my list so far:
GTS quarters
Spider rims
SRIII, Jamison, or Corvette Correction Chassis
C4 or C6 suspension
LS3 W/ Tremec
Auto Hood
Tucked bumpers
Hartz top
semi custom interior
Custom fender coves
Side pipes

When my 12 year old daughter first saw it she said "looks like someone puked on it, can I drive it when its done?"
My 11 year old son said "why did you buy a car that needs work, why not just buy a new one"
My 9 year old son said "cool, when can we start working on it"
My wife said "can I pick the color"
I couldn't make this stuff up
Old 11-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Ken,

Welcome to the club!

If you need anything don't hestitate to ask, the guys on here that have and are building them are GREAT people! Many have helped me on numerous occations - thank you everyone!!

They are a blast to build - I'll let you know about driving them sometime down the road -- ha ha

Glad you made it through without much damage - saying a prayer for those not having had the same luck..

Have a great weekend!

Rich
Old 11-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Here are some before and after pics of a 63 coupe I bought in 1990. I think I spent about 4 years restoring it. Sold it to get married.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
1963 Corvette before.pdf (1.03 MB, 652 views)
File Type: pdf
1963 Corvette after.pdf (1,010.2 KB, 637 views)
Old 11-14-2012, 11:05 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Interesting project!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Old 02-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Ordered my SS700 Monday. Estimated delivery 4/26...I'm in no rush, but we'll see how close they come.

KEN SUNGELA SS700 TRG-SC-RO C2 934805 050 NONE 4/26/13

Dear Ken,

Our Production Dept. currently ESTIMATES that your transmission kit will be shipping during the week shown above.

You will be receiving periodic email updates to keep you informed of the status of your order. We are ramping up our run rate to

get all orders caught up.

Thank you for your patience in receiving your new custom built Keisler transmission kit.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:51 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

Ken
While you wait for the tranny - have you had any opportunities to work on the Vette itself?? Did you decide on a chassis yet?

Details and pictures!!!!

Dan
Old 02-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Dan,
Things aren't going as fast as I thought...a lot of decisions to make up front and having fun doing all the research to make them.
I'm using an SRIII chassis. They could have started my build a month ago, but wasn't ready to decide on rear end and trans.
I now have a Super Dana 44 already rebuilt with 3.73 gears. Bought one from out in Wisc. had it drop shipped to Unitrax, rebuilt, and shipped to me. All for about $1800.

After MUCH consideration, I bought an LS7 short block. I was going to get the LS3 480 HP, but heard its pretty loppy at idle which I didn't want. Plus I'll have fun building up the short block the way I want with a wet sump and drive system.

I bought an electric brake system so I don't have a big honking master cylinder setup sticking out of the firewall, plus its a little different. Thanks Mikey.

C6 suspension w/ Z06 brakes.

When I started, I was dead set on Z06 spyder wheels, but now I see many resto-mods with them, so I'm looking for something different.

As for colors, oh man, that's gong to be the hardest. I prefer a darker color, but not blue (see Mike C., I listen ) Maybe Dark grey or black w/red interior. Black w/tan interior. Or, maybe a deep purple w/tan...

I'll get some pics up...eventually.
Ken
Old 02-11-2013, 09:40 AM
pw2006
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice plan Ken! It is exciting to watch the progress and they are a blast to drive. Like Rich said, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. There are a bunch of great guys on here that are always willing to help.
Rob
Old 02-11-2013, 11:43 AM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

sounds like plans are becoming decisions and things are taking shape! hardest part of my build was exactly that.. making decisions on what components to use! even since putting it back on the road 3 years ago and 10,000 miles, i've made several running changes as technology and money allows. my biggest regret - not going with the SRIII chassis from the onset, as i've nickel and dimed my way to the same amount of money but am still on the original chassis!

keep us updated!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:00 PM
raosterkamp
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Interesting and Exciting build, I admire you for building your own. I dont have the experience OR the nerve to create my own,so I am having Seth Wood do mine;hopefully in a couple of months!
In the meantime I will enjoy reading about your project!! Rick
Old 02-11-2013, 12:21 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

How wide wheels and tires can you put on using a SRIII chassis?

What about some wheels with a big fat lip? Especially at the rear

Something like this AR Cobra wheels like on this coupe with Grand Sport wheel arches

This is a really nice looking coupe with Grand Sport front and wheel arches
Attached Images  

Last edited by TheSaint; 02-11-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Ken,

Good luck with the "estimate" for your new SS700. I spoke to them last Friday and was told that they have over 300 orders, and new orders would require 4 - 5 months!

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To The Do-it-myself '63 resto-mod project

Old 02-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Funny how a 40 degree day in Feb. can feel like Spring.
In order to make any more progress in stripping the body, I had to get it off the frame.
I bolted some unistrut into the laminated wood ibeams in my garage ceiling, then hung a simple chain hoist from it. If I've calculated properly using the pull strength Weyerhauser gave me of 1/4" lag bolts in their ibeams, i should be go to at least 600#. Using a pair of ratchet tie downs, I hooked the car up and lifted up.
I set the body back down on a utility trailer I had which will give me plenty of room to clean up the engine bay. Not sure how I'm going to do the underside without building another cart, or just removing some planking from the trailer.
I can fit the chassis and body in one side of the garage still leaving one bay open for my wife to park her car for now. With a 90 minute commute each way, I figure I need to give her a spot at least until it gets warmer out. I know, what guy....
Attached Images    
Old 02-14-2013, 06:02 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Ken,

I'd be real concerned that your cart doesn't provide enough support for the front end! You may consider building a proper "dolly" that many of us (including me) have used to do a body off of their C2. Do a "search" to find the plans. A few 2 x 4's and in no time, you'll be good to go!

Tom
Old 02-15-2013, 09:46 PM
Joe Inama
Drifting

Received 327 Likes on 159 Posts

Love your project. I have a bunch of videos on youtube that show corvette resto mod builds. Search : corvette joe alaska. You should get some ideas. Let me know if I can help. Happy days ahead.

Quick Reply: The Do-it-myself '63 resto-mod project