C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Why are people so deceptive???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:11 AM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by 69z28&ss396
How close are you to chicago??? I once drove to a guys house and his father answered the door.. I explained to him that his son had bought a transmission from me and I never received the money. I showed him all the email traffic and my paypal transactions. He called his son to tell him to come home, and then promptly made him take the muncie out of his 68 POS nova while we sat in the driveway and watched.. Even gave me a hundred for driving out there.. Just saying, may be worth a drive...
I once sold something to a member here who lived in Kansas. He said that he needed asap for his car and would send payment asap.So I shipped and his payment never arrived.Worse yet he never responded to pm,email or phone calls.I had tracking info not only showed that his parts arrived but that he had signed for them. So after a month I hopped in my car and drove to Kansas.He was surprised to say the least to find me at his front door as he was sitting at the dinner table with his family.He paid me to leave
Old 11-08-2012, 03:54 PM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Well, I got Ebay message back which said if I was unhappy, just return for a refund. Hoping to see the credit show up in my PayPal account!

Don
Old 11-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

When you deal with Chicago Al, it's pot luck what comes, he does not care period and you have to chase him if there is a problem to make it right. That's why most people only deal with him once if they have not been forewarned.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:16 PM
jimmies63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14,'17, '20-'21

Originally Posted by dharris45
And this is from one of the forums favorite vendors - NOT!!!!! i'm afraid to try and return it and not get my money refunded. Yes, I was forewarned by many on this forum not to deal with this vendor!!!!!

Don
Why do people ask for advice here, especially vendors, get it, and ignore it?

It's like that long thread with the paint job in SFL earlier in the week, when people tell you somebody is bad they are likely not kidding - especially here!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:27 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

I just DO NOT do Ebay. PERIOD!
Consequently , I NEVER have to deal with ANY of the above!
But some people just insist on continually being punished.
Oh well----------------------------------------

Tom Parsons
Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 PM
project63
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dharris45
Well, I got Ebay message back which said if I was unhappy, just return for a refund. Hoping to see the credit show up in my PayPal account!

Don
Don't hold your breath waiting for your refund...Now he has the part AND your money. He is slime...
Old 11-08-2012, 10:28 PM
mike16
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmies63
Why do people ask for advice here, especially vendors, get it, and ignore it?

It's like that long thread with the paint job in SFL earlier in the week, when people tell you somebody is bad they are likely not kidding - especially here!
and just like in the paint job thread the advice needed to come in a timely manner to be usefull. so its really not about ignoring it is it?

al from chicago?

any relation to that other al from chicago?
Old 11-25-2012, 11:23 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Many, many years back I bought some parts on E bay and they turned out to be junk. I lost a hundred but never bought another item. Their dispute resolution sucks. Now I just use them for a guide. I don't have an account and never will.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

E-Bay is much like the rest of the world, there are a lot of good respectable vendors there, along with the usual assortment of shysters and crooks. You just need to learn to separate the wheat from the chaff, IMO.

I've used and will continue to use E-Bay, but know who you're dealing with before you purchase unless it's a small amount you're risking that you can afford to lose.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:21 PM
waynec
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

eBay just makes it easier for the crooks, although I have to say I've been lucky so far with eBay... only one glitch I can remember, a DOA hard drive the seller wouldn't make good, but luckily it was still within it's warranty period and I got a replacement from the manufacturer.

Once (before eBay), through a magazine ad, I sold a pristine complete cross-fire F.I. system (air cleaner, intake, distributor, etc) that had been taken off a wrecked '84 Corvette in 1984 (I'd used the long block on a project long before my ad, and had stored the remaining parts). I think my firm price was $400, deliberately priced less than you'd need to pay at the time just to have your own unit rebuilt. A guy called me several times, telling me how bad he needed the unit to get his sick Vette back on the road, but trying to get me to lower my price. Seemed like a nice fellow, he just wanted to get a bargain price. I stuck to my price.
Then after about a month, a woman called me saying she was his wife and wanted to buy it for him as a surprise for Christmas and would pay the $400. I told her I'd ship it COD and she agreed.

So, I packed it up and took it to UPS and stood in the long pre-Christmas line.

After about 6 weeks, I called UPS to ask why I hadn't received payment on my package. They referred me to a manager who said their system showed that it hadn't been sent COD, but he'd investigate my assertion that it should have been. He got back to me a few weeks later, saying they'd found my original paper order form verifying my claim; the package had not been entered/marked as COD (a mistake by the clerk who processed my package) nor had I been charged for COD (I didn't know that, I just paid what the clerk asked). He also said their investigation found that when the package was delivered (to a automotive business address, it turned out) the shop was closed, so the driver inquired next door at a convenience store and the clerk took the package to give to the addressee. The addressee at the automotive shop (the same guy who had called me to buy the F.I.) told the investigator he never got the package.

Then that same guy phoned me, raving about how the F.I. looked brand new and how great his car was running, then laughed and gloated about how he got it for free! He really thought it was hilarious. Unfreakinbelievable! I still hadn't gotten any money.
I told UPS about the call, but the guy kept telling them that he never got the F.I.

UPS eventually paid me, so I got my money, but also a lot of lost time and aggravation.

The crook got away with it.

Last edited by waynec; 11-25-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default David Crane

In continuance of my lifetime vow to make sure the Corvette world knows about David Crane of Crane's Corvettes in California, I offer the following example. Ebay and phone call description was of a solid birdcage with a one inch hole in the passenger latch plate - no other rust or damage. Had a fellow forum member call and he received the same description. It was to be professionally crated and shipped so as to arrive during a specified week so I would be in town to receive it. It was shipped on the wrong date and I had to pay to have it diverted to another address at my expense and have it delivered. The crating was a bunch of 2x4s cobbled together with sheet rock screws and was falling apart. One of the delays was because FEDEX refused it in the first crating. The bird cage was as bad as the one in my car. Thin metal. Extensive poor welding filling many, many holes. Impact damage to the right door post. Rust holes throughout the cage. David, knowing what was going to happen insisted on payment being wired - citing past payment problems (this should have been a warning). The expense of recrating and shipment would have been significant so the bird cage is hanging on the wall of my shop as a constant reminder of David Crane in California. You are warned.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:52 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Vogie
In continuance of my lifetime vow to make sure the Corvette world knows about David Crane of Crane's Corvettes in California, I offer the following example.
He and Al Fierke (Chicago Corvette, MiszterCarb, GrayGracy, etc.) are both graduates of the same "shady sellers" school.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:16 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
He and Al Fierke (Chicago Corvette, MiszterCarb, GrayGracy, etc.) are both graduates of the same "shady sellers" school.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:50 PM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I did end up returning the solenoid and in fact got full refund!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:21 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Buying and selling on eBay ? I love it. I am honest with the items that I sell and ship them worldwide and have had no complaints. I always offer a refund if the product is not how I described or pictured it. I did have one return of a 1960 Cadillac part that I sold and when I was informed that I had it listed for the wrong year. I offered the buyer a full refund of his purchase including shipping and return shipping to me. He was so impressed that he told me to keep my money and thanked me for being an honest seller.

Ray/rayvaflav
Old 11-25-2012, 11:25 PM
jimmies63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14,'17, '20-'21

I've bought and sold hundreds of items on eBay over the last decade. Can't remember a single problem. Cars or not, I almost always check eBay first for an online purchase. For the antique cars, I almost always find the right or comparable part that would take hours and considerable cost to find otherwise. For regular retail items, anything full price anywhere is always discounted on eBay. Fact. Try it. Before you buy something 'new' online, search eBay. You will get the real price! After eBay comes amazon....

*anecdote* bought a microwave drawer just this month on eBay. $900 anywhere online or off. $500 factory refurb on eBay. Shipping included. Arrived DOA. They are picking it up and bringing a new one. eBay works.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:38 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

This thread was about to go to Transactions and Feedback, but the OP says he was properly refunded so the thread has run its course.

Any peripheral discussion about ebay or anyone else can go in a new thread.

Glad the OP was taken care of.

Quick Reply: Why are people so deceptive???