C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

oil: dino vs dino/syn blend vs synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 06:18 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default oil: dino vs dino/syn blend vs synthetic

other than a possible cost savings; i'm trying to figure out a logical reason for a dino/synthetic blend. what could be the possible benefit?
Bill
Old 11-04-2012, 06:42 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I have changed my oil (regular oil) every 10-15K miles for the last 40 years with no known ill effects.

What is it you are trying to accomplish?

Old 11-04-2012, 06:49 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by MikeM
I have changed my oil (regular oil) every 10-15K miles for the last 40 years with no known ill effects.

What is it you are trying to accomplish?

Mikey
i'm not trying accomplish anything more insidious than trying to figure out why they make, bottle and sell a type of oil that is a blend of dino oil and synthetic oil. the combination makes absolutely no sense to me..., i would use one or the other...
Bill
Old 11-04-2012, 07:06 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wmf62
Mikey
i'm not trying accomplish anything more insidious than trying to figure out why they make, bottle and sell a type of oil that is a blend of dino oil and synthetic oil. the combination makes absolutely no sense to me..., i would use one or the other...
Bill
Oh, well I would recommend you use the cheapest stuff you can find that has the API rating that you prefer. The alternative as I see it is stuffing money in pockets of the carnival hawkers.

Other than that, I see no reason for an old car to use the blendeddino/synthetic oil. I suspect you don't either.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Mikey
Bill
There's very little in the way of sense in the motor oil business, other than marketing = profits.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:24 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Oh, well I would recommend you use the cheapest stuff you can find that has the API rating that you prefer. The alternative as I see it is stuffing money in pockets of the carnival hawkers.

Other than that, I see no reason for an old car to use the blendeddino/synthetic oil. I suspect you don't either.
i agree.... BUT...

when i put the ZZ4 in i broke it in in accordance with GM recommendation which was not to use synthetic oil during break-in; and i continued to use dino oil prior to taking my 10k+ trip this summer. (i had never used synthetic in anything before cause i was too cheap to try it.... )

out of curiosity i changed to synthetic before the trip and used NO oil for the entire 10k+ whereas with the dino i was using some in the 3k or so duration between changes. when i finally changed oil after i got home i used synthetic again... time will tell if i experience the same 'no use' with the synthetic in everyday driving that i did on the trip.

but i transgress... again, i am curious where a blend fits in the big scheme of things, other than to possibly entice cheapskates like me to spend a bit more for what purpose i can't fathom.

FWIW, when i bought my new-to-me Enclave i asked what oil was being used in it and was told a 'blend....
Bill
Old 11-04-2012, 07:56 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,161 Likes on 486 Posts

I get more of a drip using Mobile 1 synthetic than I do/did with dyno oil.

I don't know what weight dyno oil was in there as my mechanic put it in a while back when car was in the shop for restoration. After I replaced it with the Moble 1 (10-40 IIRC), the drip is more noticable.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

apparently the concensus is that no one has a clue, or the interest, as to whether a dino/syn blend serves any useful purpose or provides any benefit...

me neither...

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 11-05-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:20 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,519 Likes on 3,001 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

apparently the concensus is that no one has a clue, or the interest, as to whether a dino/syn blend serves any useful purpose or provides any benefit...

me neither...

Bill
Bill, I understand your original question. My take is that the blend of dino and synthetic oil represents a significant marketing breakthrough.

Jim
Old 11-05-2012, 08:21 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

apparently the concensus is that no one has a clue, or the interest,
Bill I don't have a clue what the purpose of the blended dino/synth oil is, but strongly suspect it's just a marketing ploy to fill a gap in the cost-point and entice dino users to feel good about themselves by letting them buy pseudo-synth oil.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:27 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Jim, Jeff...
... i'll just use one or the other and nary the twain shall meet..

Bill
Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Bill, I understand your original question. My take is that the blend of dino and synthetic oil represents a significant marketing breakthrough.

Jim
Now THAT THAR'S FUNNY!!!!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

i agree.... BUT...

when i put the ZZ4 in i broke it in in accordance with GM recommendation which was not to use synthetic oil during break-in; and i continued to use dino oil prior to taking my 10k+ trip this summer. (i had never used synthetic in anything before cause i was too cheap to try it.... )

out of curiosity i changed to synthetic before the trip and used NO oil for the entire 10k+ whereas with the dino i was using some in the 3k or so duration between changes. when i finally changed oil after i got home i used synthetic again... time will tell if i experience the same 'no use' with the synthetic in everyday driving that i did on the trip.

but i transgress... again, i am curious where a blend fits in the big scheme of things, other than to possibly entice cheapskates like me to spend a bit more for what purpose i can't fathom.

FWIW, when i bought my new-to-me Enclave i asked what oil was being used in it and was told a 'blend....
Bill
Do you know Norm Crosby, or Mrs. Malaprop?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:36 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Do you know Norm Crosby, or Mrs. Malaprop?
oops, i meant digress...
Bill
..or should it be regress.... hmmmm...

Last edited by wmf62; 11-06-2012 at 02:39 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:37 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

oops, i meant digress...
Bill
..or should it be regress.... hmmmm...
as long as it's not "undress"..................."whatever"

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 11-06-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:04 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

other than a possible cost savings; i'm trying to figure out a logical reason for a dino/synthetic blend. what could be the possible benefit?
Bill
Read this:

http://deals.woot.com/questions/deta...-do-you-pay-it

I think that blended oil is sometimes referred to as "high milage" oil.

I have refused to change the oil in my wife's Grand Marquis as it is a pia to get to the oil filter. It currently has about 150K miles on it. I told her a long time ago to take it to the Valvoline Instant Oil Change place down the road. She's been doing that since oil changes were $20 and sometimes catch a special for $12.95. A couple years ago, I asked her how much oil changes were now. She pulls the last receipt out of the glove box and it's $60!!!!!!! She said they told her she needed "high milage oil" in her car. Of course they also told her she needed a new fan belt, new aircleaner element, transmission flush, etc., etc.

Long story short, I drove the car right on over to the oil place and put my finger on the manager's nose, ask him wtf(?), and told him if he EVER put that oil in her car again and charged her that kind of money, the car would never darken his oil change bay again. Just put in the engine what the owner's manual calls for Bub!

PS. two years later, the same fan belt, transmission fluid, air cleaner element and etc's are still on the car.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:29 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Long story short, I drove the car right on over to the oil place and put my finger on the manager's nose, ask him wtf(?), and told him if he EVER put that oil in her car again and charged her that kind of money, the car would never darken his oil change bay again. Just put in the engine what the owner's manual calls for Bub!
i can actually picture you doing just that to the manager.... i bet he had to change his shorts after you left too! LOL LOL LOL

All the quick oil change places around here try the same thing if I send Linda in with her car and even tried it with me once on our Tahoe. I tell Linda to make sure she only gets the basic, least expense oil they have and don't fall for the "upgrade" crap they are going to try to convince you that you need.

Get notified of new replies

To oil: dino vs dino/syn blend vs synthetic

Old 11-06-2012, 09:53 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BarryK
i can actually picture you doing just that to the manager.... i bet he had to change his shorts after you left too! LOL LOL LOL

All the quick oil change places around here try the same thing if I send Linda in with her car and even tried it with me once on our Tahoe. I tell Linda to make sure she only gets the basic, least expense oil they have and don't fall for the "upgrade" crap they are going to try to convince you that you need.
Hey Barry! Tell Linda to be careful of the Stanley Steemer carpet cleaning special. Three rooms for $100!

I could tell a story about that one too on how that "special" ballooned to $300 before he cleared the driveway but that's another story for another forum!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:10 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Read this:

http://deals.woot.com/questions/deta...-do-you-pay-it

I think that blended oil is sometimes referred to as "high milage" oil.

I have refused to change the oil in my wife's Grand Marquis as it is a pia to get to the oil filter. It currently has about 150K miles on it. I told her a long time ago to take it to the Valvoline Instant Oil Change place down the road. She's been doing that since oil changes were $20 and sometimes catch a special for $12.95. A couple years ago, I asked her how much oil changes were now. She pulls the last receipt out of the glove box and it's $60!!!!!!! She said they told her she needed "high milage oil" in her car. Of course they also told her she needed a new fan belt, new aircleaner element, transmission flush, etc., etc.

PS. two years later, the same fan belt, transmission fluid, air cleaner element and etc's are still on the car.
Must be good oil to get 150,000 miles out of it.

I'll never forget the 60 Minutes segment where they conducted a sting operation on auto repair places. They completely checked out a target car and installed fresh oil/filter/plugs/filters/belts/hoses/etc on it. Everything was AOK with the car, except that they installed an old, cracked set of wiper blades on it. They took it to a number of repair shops for routine inspection and racked up a grand total in the thousands of dollars. The only item that was not changed after all of that was...............you guessed it: the wiper blades.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:10 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

They don't make their profits on the low ball oil change. Their profits come from the upsell. Get rid of the upsell? The low ball price will go up.

Just good old fashioned marketing.

Integrity should keep them from selling a customer something they don't need.

I think we all know, integrity is in short supply now days.

Quick Reply: oil: dino vs dino/syn blend vs synthetic