C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Will Restomods be frowned upon someday?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 PM
FastEddy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like to keep the Vette categories super simple:

1. Mine
2. NOT mine.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:42 PM
neal_c60
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me, the value of the 'restomods' will fall with miles on the rebuild faster than the value of a car returned to 'correct' with the same miles on the rebuild.

Firstly, I have no idea of the level of engineering skills that the restomodder had. We've all heard of horror stories of what someone found on disassembling a hot rod. I have no idea going in if it had it's old skool mechanicals and electrical systems seemlessly blended with it's new high tech electronics, or if it's just been bludgeoned into life. This will always be an issue, even with a "brand new" resto-mod. Belief in the builder.

But more importantly to the long term values, as buyer, and one not capable of doing a lot of the work myself, I know what I'm getting into with a 'correct car' that I know is going to need some TLC from me, plus some shop time from an expert or two for what I can't handle. With a restomod, everything we have to fix, we have to 1st do an autopsy, to find out what components are used, and how they are used, before I can even find out what it is I need to replace/fix. With the "correct car", there are gobs of books that show me exactly what is there, how it should be operating, how to diagnose if it isn't, and tons of places I can get all the parts, 1/2 by just telling the retailer my year and equipment on the car.

I agree with the sentiment that end value shouldn't be why were buying. Get what you'll enjoy. I bought my car because I'm actually crazy enough to WANT my vette to have a rotor and points. I enjoy the drive in a C2 more than in a C6, so I'm happy riding in C2 technology. If your aren't, buy or build the car you want. I'm lucky in that GM did just that.

But to "defend" my stance on long term restomod values, I have to ask restomod builders- which do you prefer to start with, a previously modded car, or one closer to stock? Most of the builders I know will pay a premimum for the more origanol car for the same reason I stated- they worry about the quality of the engineering of the previous mods, and don't want to get to hung up on "fixing" the car before they even start to modify it.

Two cars, basically "entry level". Well driven and in need of a lot of TLC. It's my opinion that the "stock" car will be more valuable than the "modded" car, simple due to fears of the quality of engineering(and execution...).

Just my 2 cents(and you may be owed change...).
Old 12-04-2012, 02:11 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

If you don't have much automotive knowledge then you're best to stick with a stock car. Real Resto Mods require a lot of fabrication. If something goes wrong with it, in most cases, you have to refabricate something to repair it because the builder didn't do it right the first time. They are not for the novice unless you have gobbs of money to throw at it.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Rando1
Instructor

Default resto

resto's are very cool! customs are very cool!!! i like stock but it is boring!! i have my 66 big block coupe,i found all brand new ecklers L-88 flares never on a car,and put them on,i took a complete factory air system out and sold it,i put in a complete 67 parking brake system,i took out the radio and molded all the holes up so its radio and heater delete just like from the factory.....i know some of you would kill me or dont understand how i could do this but you know what! the car is now a killer frame of restoration hot rod that i always wanted!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:26 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by neal_c60
To me, the value of the 'restomods' will fall with miles on the rebuild faster than the value of a car returned to 'correct' with the same miles on the rebuild.

But to "defend" my stance on long term restomod values, I have to ask restomod builders- which do you prefer to start with, a previously modded car, or one closer to stock? Most of the builders I know will pay a premimum for the more origanol car for the same reason I stated- they worry about the quality of the engineering of the previous mods, and don't want to get to hung up on "fixing" the car before they even start to modify it.

Two cars, basically "entry level". Well driven and in need of a lot of TLC. It's my opinion that the "stock" car will be more valuable than the "modded" car, simple due to fears of the quality of engineering(and execution...).

Just my 2 cents(and you may be owed change...).

I can't speak for all builders, but I have NEVER taken a relatively stock, correct car, and built a resto-mod from it. I always look for cars that have been around the horn, and usually have either extensive body modifications or damage, to build such cars. I have restored enough cars, that I just refuse to do that to a car that could be restored. I might flip the good restoration candidate, but I always look for the car which would not be a good candidate for restoration.

Most of the cars I have built, you would be so upside down on after restoration, that it would make no sense to restore them, but I can come out fine on after building them as a resto-mod. Quite often, you can make so much on the sale of original parts, that your basis in the car starts out as a negative number. That being said, you will never come out ahead on a resto-mod, if you pay someone to build it for you, but if you do most of the work yourself, it is not hard to come out on the positive side of the equation, whether it is a resto-mod, or a restoration.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 12-04-2012, 06:21 PM
fullcontrol
Paid Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by John McGraw
I can't speak for all builders, but I have NEVER taken a relatively stock, correct car, and built a resto-mod from it. I always look for cars that have been around the horn, and usually have either extensive body modifications or damage, to build such cars. I have restored enough cars, that I just refuse to do that to a car that could be restored. I might flip the good restoration candidate, but I always look for the car which would not be a good candidate for restoration.

Most of the cars I have built, you would be so upside down on after restoration, that it would make no sense to restore them, but I can come out fine on after building them as a resto-mod. Quite often, you can make so much on the sale of original parts, that your basis in the car starts out as a negative number. That being said, you will never come out ahead on a resto-mod, if you pay someone to build it for you, but if you do most of the work yourself, it is not hard to come out on the positive side of the equation, whether it is a resto-mod, or a restoration.

Regards, John McGraw
Agreed John, no Corvette enthusiast would take a correct car, even a lowly driver and destroy its' originality (except maybe a 64 ).

Let me add that there are degrees of originality just as there are degrees of restomods. A 98+ point car to an outrageous street machine with a whole bunch of others somewhere in between. It's not black and white, just as it wasn't 10 years ago, 20 years ago, and so on. Some restomods always be will be frowned upon.

Original factory restorations are for those who utterly enjoy the challenge of putting them together or for those who don't know how and are afraid of getting burned. Nothing wrong with either.

Personally, I find the factory original rather dull, but I don't like builds that take too much away from the period. Some already look down on restomods, I tend to ignore factory originals, not that I don't appreciate them, it's just they are all the same or at least that's the goal.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:22 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

I can't speak for all builders, but I have NEVER taken a relatively stock, correct car, and built a resto-mod from it. I always look for cars that have been around the horn, and usually have either extensive body modifications or damage, to build such cars. I have restored enough cars, that I just refuse to do that to a car that could be restored.
That goes for me too!!!! I might add that ALL of the cars that I have done, have not been "around the horn"........but the horn is usually stuck IN IT somewhere!!!!!

Mike Coletta
Old 12-04-2012, 09:09 PM
63 C6
Advanced

I am doing a 63 SWC as a restomod. I met Mike today and he can tell you mines not stock and will be a much happier car after i fix it up with a ls3 and a 5 speed. Its been raced for yrs. I wouldnt cut up a original car but the world needs restomods too.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:00 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Goss
I am doing a 63 SWC as a restomod. I met Mike today and he can tell you mines not stock and will be a much happier car after i fix it up with a ls3 and a 5 speed. Its been raced for yrs. I wouldnt cut up a original car but the world needs restomods too.
Brian
Welcome to the RestoMod club! You picked the right guy for the job.
As you may know - Mike just finished my 64 on Thanksgiving. I will be at Mike's on the 21st with my Roadster so I hope to see yours in progress.

A note on RestoMods:
Build your RestoMod for you and no one else. If someone does not like your wheel choice or color combination - that is perfectly fine - they can choose what they like when they build their own ride.

In regards to the future, I believe that when the dust settles, people will recognize the extremely high level of engineering, fit and finish of professionally completed RestoMods and hold them in high regard.
While some RestoMods will age well over time - others will certainly become dated - time will be the ultimate judge. In the meantime - enjoy YOURs.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:16 PM
63 C6
Advanced

Originally Posted by dcaggiani
Brian
Welcome to the RestoMod club! You picked the right guy for the job.
As you may know - Mike just finished my 64 on Thanksgiving. I will be at Mike's on the 21st with my Roadster so I hope to see yours in progress.

A note on RestoMods:
Build your RestoMod for you and no one else. If someone does not like your wheel choice or color combination - that is perfectly fine - they can choose what they like when they build their own ride.

In regards to the future, I believe that when the dust settles, people will recognize the extremely high level of engineering, fit and finish of professionally completed RestoMods and hold them in high regard.
While some RestoMods will age well over time - others will certainly become dated - time will be the ultimate judge. In the meantime - enjoy YOURs.
Ya i instantly liked Mike he answered all my questions and seems like a good guy that told me a fair price. I saw his car and knew he was the right guy to paint mine. Im building alot myself but Mikes gonna coach me and do all my paint and body work. Maybe next spring we can meet one day and all go for a ride i plan on having mine done by next may hopefully.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by mike coletta
That goes for me too!!!! I might add that ALL of the cars that I have done, have not been "around the horn"........but the horn is usually stuck IN IT somewhere!!!!!

Mike Coletta
Me 3 I would never chop up a good car , but will build one from parts in a heartbeat
Old 12-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Tevroc98
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I think like all fads .These will pass someday. Something else will come along to take their place. I personally had no trouble cutting up a numbers matching project I found. I did keep the the original drivetrain so that if the next guy wants to put it back he'll have the most important parts. I've already done a numbers matching correct car and found it VERY boring to basiclly do a GM jigsaw puzzle. At least with a restomod you can stretch your imagination and have a choice of color, engine, interior etc... But to each his own.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:40 PM
LynnJ
Intermediate

Being 62 yrs old I don't worry much about if the value of my C2 Coupe Restomod goes up or down. I built it to drive and I'm not trying to sell it. With the electronic fuel injection, 5-Speed Tremec, AC, Cruise, XM Radio playing through the good sounding unit and GPS sitting on the dash, my wife (of 39 years) and I enjoy driving it on long trips. I tow a small luggage trailer hooked to a hidden hitch behind a fold down license plate. We cruise with the traffic on the interstate, 75-80 right along. I also have a C5 Convertible and with the up-to-date mods on my C2 it drives, handles and rides just as good as the C5. Being 6' and 220lbs I only wish it had about 3 more inches of leg room, lol. It doesn't always win Best of Show at car shows, but it almost always wins Best of Show crusing down the interstate. Restomod is the way I enjoy my C2, but I don't fault anyone for having their's the way they want it. That's what makes this sport great! Peace Out
Old 12-08-2012, 11:45 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Tevroc98
I think like all fads .These will pass someday. Something else will come along to take their place. I personally had no trouble cutting up a numbers matching project I found. I did keep the the original drivetrain so that if the next guy wants to put it back he'll have the most important parts. I've already done a numbers matching correct car and found it VERY boring to basiclly do a GM jigsaw puzzle. At least with a restomod you can stretch your imagination and have a choice of color, engine, interior etc... But to each his own.
On old Corvettes (excuse me, c1s and c2s!) Pro Street has become passe, as digital touch-screen interior appointments surely will, too.

But "period" mods will always be around and should be acceptable. For example, Tri-Five Chevys, IMO, are as iconic as C2s. Millions more people owned, rode in or were conceived in them. And if you happen to show up with chrome reverse wheels, or a white tuck 'n' roll package shelf, or a Hurst floor shift, even radiused rear wheel wells with mags and fat tires or a jacked-up, bumperless, Moon-tanked "gasser", the participants cheer you on.

So six tail lights, missing front bumpers, '67 big block stinger hoods, Torq-Thrusts, Cragars, flares, etc. should get a thumbs up, as long as they're not competing in a resto class.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:32 AM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Eventually all modified cars run their course and become obsolete to advancements in technology, but the originals have demonstrated a steady increase in value directly proportional to our economy.

rustylugnuts
Old 12-09-2012, 11:56 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

I am not sure the " restomod " is the major part of the equation. The owner attitude in " my car is better than your car " remains near the top of the list. I thought Mopar people with their number matching miscellaneous brackets were far out in left field. I sure wonder about Corvette owners. Very few I have spoken to are ordinary run of the mill gear heads enjoying a performance car of the past. Partly because it starts with the purchase of a forty thousand dollar " driver " and the addition of a guard dog to " protect " their investment. No, it's not a car anymore...... it's a shrine adding to the gold pile. Take it out and drive it ....... " you crazy !!!! ". This is a piece of American history !
Yes, I have owned nine, four still sit in the back corner of the garage. They are just old cars, a reminder of the past. Early sixties was an exciting period in automotive history. I couldn't afford them in the seventies. Not really thrilled to drive them today. Hopefully a youth with enthusiasm will buy them at the estate sale and return to the past. I imagine it will take him a few minutes to locate the computers and down load the diagnostic system were all better off without.
Just my two cents on the current hobby.... or should I say portfolio.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:00 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Chicago Pete
I have seen many posts on this forum making fun of the 70's customs and such.
Wide fender flares, spoilers, crazy interiors, wild paint jobs, the list goes on.

I wonder if the Restomods will receive the same criticism in the future?
Who cares, I will be dead by then!

Quick Reply: Will Restomods be frowned upon someday?