C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Finished Dan C's restomod

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 06:58 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Default Finished Dan C's restomod

I think it might be a new record.......I removed the body from the original chassis on Aug 11. Took it for a test ride on Nov 16. I drives out really nice. Here is the old build thread http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...ct-update.html

Mike Coletta
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-17-2012, 07:12 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

youre' the best mike!
great job, as usual........
Old 11-17-2012, 07:15 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Another amazing job Mike. Been meaning to get by to see this but my consulting biz went a little crazy around election time.

I know you had to deal with some challenges on this one so its nice to see it come together so beautifully !!

I don't know how many realize that Mike is a "one man show" and does it ALL and pretty darn quickly too.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-17-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Kudos Mike! Just superb. Wish we had someone of your caliber here in the sunny Southwest. Mike
Old 11-17-2012, 07:24 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Wow! That's a beautiful car!
Old 11-17-2012, 08:31 AM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

Mike
I was at the Atlanta airport last night making my way home to West Palm when I received your email with these photographs. The Roadster is simply breathtaking. I spent the entire flight just staring at these pictures.

I know she fought you until the end but boy it was so worth it!

I am honored to have a Coletta built Restomod and cannot wait to come pick her up next weekend.

Dan
Old 11-17-2012, 08:56 AM
torose
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nicely done What type of seats are those as they look like they fit well?
Old 11-17-2012, 09:04 AM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by torose
nicely done What type of seats are those as they look like they fit well?
Thanks! The seats are Procar Rally 1000 by Scat Enterprises. I chose them because I wanted to have comfort and head rests while keeping a somewhat heritage look. While they may not be everyone's cup of tea (including Mike perhaps), I will appreciate them after a long drive.

Dan
Old 11-17-2012, 09:46 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Nice work mike.
You must have been breathing out of both sides of your mouth on this one!

Charles
Old 11-17-2012, 09:56 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Mike, that is beautiful and you certainly are talented at your craft.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Islander21
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike and Dan, is that a push button ignition? If so, can you elaborate on it?
Old 11-17-2012, 10:49 AM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I watched the original build thread. It's amazing how much work was done at this high quality in such a short time frame. Amazing.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:59 AM
VeroWing
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Very impressive!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:10 AM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Islander21

Mike and Dan, is that a push button ignition? If so, can you elaborate on it?
Good eye! Yes that is a push button start. I was looking for a security type system for the Corvette and really did not like the options available with the annoying sirens. Then, I saw Mike's 64 with a push button start and I was sold. Just like the modern day cars, you need to have your fob on you and actually push a button on the fob to allow the push button to actually start the car. To me, it adds the security I was looking for while not having keys hanging off the dash or worse, hacked and stolen.

Check out the vendor site for more information

http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/KEYL...--PG-1temp.htm

Dan

Last edited by dcaggiani; 11-17-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:35 AM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Vette Dan. Very well done combo of the old and the new. Prolly think you're hotshit now. LOL! You are!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:42 AM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LoneStarV
Nice Vette Dan. Very well done combo of the old and the new. Prolly think you're hotshit now. LOL! You are!
No way - just humbled I have the opportunity to own and DRIVE one soon.

Can't wait to see yours come together.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:14 PM
kiwigt
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Mike, could you advise how you mounted the Scat ProCar seats please?

Get notified of new replies

To Finished Dan C's restomod

Old 11-17-2012, 03:58 PM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Fine work indeed!

COLETTA, COLETTA, COLETTA, Man your killing me over here!
Absolutly looks great and congratulations on a job well done.

Earl
Old 11-18-2012, 06:58 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Thanks all !!!!
Regarding the push button start. Digital Guard Dawg is now making the system to comply with whatever laws govern that type of thing. With the old system, you would simply activate(unlock) the ignition via approaching the car in automatic, or pushing an unlock button on the fob. To stop the engine you would just hit the button again. There are also some ways to get to acc mode, etc. This is what I have in my car. The NEW system, which is in Dan's car, works entirely different (personally, I don't like it). You still approach the car (in automatic mode), or push the unlock button on the fob, but in addition, you MUST have the brake depressed. So that means that there is no reaching over the side, and starting the car. The thing that I don't like about it is the off procedure. You MUST have the brake depressed, and you HOLD the ignition button for 3 seconds. So, in a panic, you must hold the brake, and hold the button. If you don't do those things, it will keep running. I called the manufacturer, and asked if there was any way to bypass this, and was told that there is now legislation/laws that require this shutoff procedure. Something about a kid hitting the stop button in a Toyota going down the freeway in Calif, and causing a major wreck. You can bypass the brake switch requirement for start and stop, but then you have to give up your Acc position. Sorry to ramble.......I still don't like it.
The seats are very tight. I just drilled some holes, and bolted them in. I cut as much of the mounting ears off as I could, to get them as low as possible. The "sitting" portion of the seat ends up just a little higher than stock, but the side bolsters are huge, and would require either a tilt wheel, or a diet program, to get in the car without too much effort. I also had to modify the seat belt mounts, to extend them upward on the inboard side. I THINK that stock belts (or similar), would probably work without modification.

Thanks again to all of you for your comments!!!! I'm sure that Dan and his family are going to have a blast with this car.

Mike Coletta
Old 11-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Islander21
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mike coletta
Thanks all !!!!
Regarding the push button start. Digital Guard Dawg is now making the system to comply with whatever laws govern that type of thing. With the old system, you would simply activate(unlock) the ignition via approaching the car in automatic, or pushing an unlock button on the fob. To stop the engine you would just hit the button again. There are also some ways to get to acc mode, etc. This is what I have in my car. The NEW system, which is in Dan's car, works entirely different (personally, I don't like it). You still approach the car (in automatic mode), or push the unlock button on the fob, but in addition, you MUST have the brake depressed. So that means that there is no reaching over the side, and starting the car. The thing that I don't like about it is the off procedure. You MUST have the brake depressed, and you HOLD the ignition button for 3 seconds. So, in a panic, you must hold the brake, and hold the button. If you don't do those things, it will keep running. I called the manufacturer, and asked if there was any way to bypass this, and was told that there is now legislation/laws that require this shutoff procedure. Something about a kid hitting the stop button in a Toyota going down the freeway in Calif, and causing a major wreck. You can bypass the brake switch requirement for start and stop, but then you have to give up your Acc position. Sorry to ramble.......I still don't like it.
The seats are very tight. I just drilled some holes, and bolted them in. I cut as much of the mounting ears off as I could, to get them as low as possible. The "sitting" portion of the seat ends up just a little higher than stock, but the side bolsters are huge, and would require either a tilt wheel, or a diet program, to get in the car without too much effort. I also had to modify the seat belt mounts, to extend them upward on the inboard side. I THINK that stock belts (or similar), would probably work without modification.

Thanks again to all of you for your comments!!!! I'm sure that Dan and his family are going to have a blast with this car.

Mike Coletta
Mike, which kit did use use for the push-button ignition? the 19mm, std 22mm or the 25mm?

Quick Reply: Finished Dan C's restomod