C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Windshield exterior molding clips

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Dave Kitch
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Windshield exterior molding clips

Anybody use the repro molding clips from Long Island Corvette Supply? They have a sponge like seal on them. I was told that the original clips are the best but also the Paragon replacements are good.

My original clips on my 65 coupe were bad and I decided to use clips from LI. Do not seem to hold as well.

Dave K.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:09 PM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Kitch
Anybody use the repro molding clips from Long Island Corvette Supply? They have a sponge like seal on them. I was told that the original clips are the best but also the Paragon replacements are good.

My original clips on my 65 coupe were bad and I decided to use clips from LI. Do not seem to hold as well.

Dave K.
Dave,

Comparing repros to original one can see the difference fairly quick. The original provide a slight "ramp" for the moulding to slid up and clip into place. The repro clip from LI does not....no repro I've seen has this "ramp". In hind sight after fightling with my LI repro clips would have taken a chance and reused the originals. Got it done but left me.....
Old 11-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Dave Kitch
Drifting

Originally Posted by RestoMike
Dave,

Comparing repros to original one can see the difference fairly quick. The original provide a slight "ramp" for the moulding to slid up and clip into place. The repro clip from LI does not....no repro I've seen has this "ramp". In hind sight after fightling with my LI repro clips would have taken a chance and reused the originals. Got it done but left me.....
Mike,

Did you modify your LI clips to add the lip that the original clips had?

Regards,
Dave K.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:49 PM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Kitch
Mike,

Did you modify your LI clips to add the lip that the original clips had?

Regards,
Dave K.
There's nothing that can be added Dave, it's just the style of the repro clip. The clips are made of spring steel and believe should you try to modify would most likely ruin the clip rendering them unusable.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:53 AM
RFJohnston
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it even possible to buy the original clips anymore?
Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Local guy who has done dozens of midyear windshields tells me that you're setting yourself up for failure/frustration if you use anything except the premium clips from Paragon (not the "imported" clips).
Old 11-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Dave Kitch
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Local guy who has done dozens of midyear windshields tells me that you're setting yourself up for failure/frustration if you use anything except the premium clips from Paragon (not the "imported" clips).
John,

Paragon just informed me that Long Island Corvette supplies the clips to Paragon. However, unlike the Long Island clip, Paragon does not furnish the clip with the attached sponge like seal in the back of the clip.

Dave K.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:06 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,048 Likes on 576 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

No one sells the exact original clip, I have some NOS clips I bought in the early 70's and they are wrong, must be what the repro people used to make the repro, why else would you make them wrong.

I did find a way to use the repro's. I first mark the glass with a marker at each clip then I start in a corner and use my tool that you release the SS with and hold the clip out just enough to start the SS don't push it in just start it to the first click, do them all, when you get them all started push them in the rest of the way, not easy but they hold.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Dave Kitch
Drifting

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette
No one sells the exact original clip, I have some NOS clips I bought in the early 70's and they are wrong, must be what the repro people used to make the repro, why else would you make them wrong.

I did find a way to use the repro's. I first mark the glass with a marker at each clip then I start in a corner and use my tool that you release the SS with and hold the clip out just enough to start the SS don't push it in just start it to the first click, do them all, when you get them all started push them in the rest of the way, not easy but they hold.
I've heard guys say that they use a piece of shim stock or something to in effect open the tight jaws of the clip to get the SS molding inserted into the jaws. The new clips seem to be very tight with the two jaws compressed together leaving no opening. The other problem with the LI clips may be the behind the clip gasket or seal prevents the clip from being tightened against the body? I think that I might remove the molding, remove the LI clips with gaskets, replace with the Paragon clips and set windshield back in and go from there.

Dave K.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm surprised nobody mentioned installing the lower stainless before the glass (convertible we're talking about).

Works like a charm and you get the stainless exactly where you want it.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Dave Kitch
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Geary
I'm surprised nobody mentioned installing the lower stainless before the glass (convertible we're talking about).

Works like a charm and you get the stainless exactly where you want it.
Cause I'm talking coupe and not roadster.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield exterior molding clips

Quick Reply: Windshield exterior molding clips