C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 corvette front suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 03:52 PM
leess396
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C1 corvette front suspension upgrade

HI all I know this has been brought up before but is there anyone out there that has actually installed a Martz setup in a c1 corvette who can tell me what is involved and how it drives Thanks Lee j
Old 10-14-2014, 05:44 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

here is a pic of the Martz, and other than trimming the inner fender panels it looks to be pretty much a bolt-in. i used the TCI because i preferred traditional coil springs/shocks rather than coilovers. (and the TCI was cheaper)
Bill
Attached Images   
Old 10-14-2014, 08:23 PM
stvaughn
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by wmf62
here is a pic of the Martz, and other than trimming the inner fender panels it looks to be pretty much a bolt-in. i used the TCI because i preferred traditional coil springs/shocks rather than coilovers. (and the TCI was cheaper)
Bill
Bill, tell me more about the the TCI unit. Is that TCI Engineering? There is nothing on there website for the Corvette. How do you like the unit? How much trouble to install? Other bits and pieces of information that would help me decide on my future install on a 60.

Not trying to hijack the OP's thread. I would also like to here info on the Martz and other front suspensions.

Steve
Old 10-14-2014, 09:02 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by stvaughn
Bill, tell me more about the the TCI unit. Is that TCI Engineering? There is nothing on there website for the Corvette. How do you like the unit? How much trouble to install? Other bits and pieces of information that would help me decide on my future install on a 60.

Not trying to hijack the OP's thread. I would also like to here info on the Martz and other front suspensions.

Steve
The below thread covers both Martz and Bill's TCI install, but it is many posts long!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uspension.html

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 10-14-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:30 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Why is my first question. My '58 drives just fine. The TCI unit will drop the value of your car.

I can spend some money for no real improvement and my car is worth less. How is that a good idea?

Richard Newton
Old 10-15-2014, 03:14 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by rfn026
Why is my first question. My '58 drives just fine. The TCI unit will drop the value of your car.

I can spend some money for no real improvement and my car is worth less. How is that a good idea?

Richard Newton
driveability is more important to me than decrease in value; and, yes, there is a great deal of improvement (to me). my kids can worry about $$ when i'm dead and gone.... a/c, 4whl disc brakes, cruise control, power steering, 5spd, ZZ4, EFI, dual m/c, etc, etc, also may or may not decrease value; but it's one hell of a lot more enjoyable to drive (to me..)

besides, NOTHING is irreversible...
Bill
Old 10-15-2014, 03:18 PM
stvaughn
Racer

St. Jude Donor '15

Default Have there

Originally Posted by Plasticman
The below thread covers both Martz and Bill's TCI install, but it is many posts long!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uspension.html

Plasticman
Wow, 25 pages from '07 & '08. Took me two days to read it all. Great information! Have there been any "improvements" to these kits in the last 6 years?

Steve
Old 10-15-2014, 03:19 PM
stvaughn
Racer

St. Jude Donor '15

driveability is more important to me than decrease in value; and, yes, there is a great deal of improvement (to me). my kids can worry about $$ when i'm dead and gone.... a/c, 4whl disc brakes, cruise control, power steering, 5spd, ZZ4, EFI, dual m/c, etc, etc, also may or may not decrease value; but it's one hell of a lot more enjoyable to drive (to me..)

Bill
Old 10-15-2014, 05:37 PM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

I have been very happy with adding power steering and disc brakes. The car handles nice, points in and turns nicely, about 2 turns lock to lock, tracks well, parking lots are no problem and when I need to stop, it stops well.

If you are keeping tall skinny tires I would see no real need to change the complete geometry of the front suspension.

Remember the wheel and tire package are part of the whole suspension system. Keep in mind, camber gain, roll centers, bump steer, ackerman, ride heights, roll couple, center of gravity.

see my pics
Old 10-16-2014, 05:24 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Wow, 25 pages from '07 & '08. Took me two days to read it all. Great information! Have there been any "improvements" to these kits in the last 6 years?

Steve
in hindsight, for ease of installation and alignment, i would choose the Martz or the Meyer; however because i like real coil springs rather than coilovers, i would probably still choose the TCI.

otherwise, i don't know of any 'improvements' in IFS systems since my install...
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 10-16-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:40 AM
haccpguy
54 Vette Rod
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 54 is a lot easier to steer with the rack and pinion ( non-power). It also stops much better with the front disk brakes. It was definitely a big improvement.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:04 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,595 Likes on 662 Posts

Bill
Old 10-20-2014, 01:57 PM
62rat
Advanced

Hey guys! I'm not on here a lot lately but I just happened to see this.

I still have the car, pretty much as it was after I installed the suspension. The suspension has worked well and I really have no complaints.

If anyone would like to discuss this installation or has any questions just let me know.

Bob
Old 10-20-2014, 04:45 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 62rat

I still have the car, pretty much as it was after I installed the suspension. The suspension has worked well and I really have no complaints.

Bob
Bob,

Good to hear from you!

John (plasticman)
Old 10-20-2014, 06:14 PM
stvaughn
Racer

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 62rat

If anyone would like to discuss this installation or has any questions just let me know.

Bob
Bob,

Which brand suspension did you install?

Steve
Old 10-20-2014, 10:07 PM
62rat
Advanced

Bob,

Which brand suspension did you install?

Steve
Martz
Old 10-20-2014, 10:10 PM
62rat
Advanced

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Bob,

Good to hear from you!

John (plasticman)
Hi John, it's good to see y'all still here helping fellow Corvette fanatics!

Get notified of new replies

To C1 corvette front suspension upgrade

Quick Reply: C1 corvette front suspension upgrade