C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Body Dollie for '59

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 06:06 PM
HMFIC1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Body Dollie for '59

What if any modifications/changes has anyone made to the "standard" Dollie when using it for a C1. I am getting ready to build mine and would like to see what's been done. Pictures would be great also.

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:15 PM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I built my own. I didn't like the one in Nolan Adam's book. I took measurements of the actual body mount locations (the four main outer ones), then built a 2x4 frame. I then used hardware store L brackets with some thick rubber bumpers at each of the 4 locations.

What I ended up with was the body was resting at these 4 points instead of directly on the wooden frame. I probably over engineered it, but it worked good for me.

Don

Last edited by dharris45; 11-23-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:02 AM
HMFIC1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don,

Did you do anything for adjustment for the front rad support etc and what did you use as the "bumpers"? Also,If you have any pictures laying around you would be willing to send, that would be great.

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:06 AM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by HMFIC1
Don,

Did you do anything for adjustment for the front rad support etc and what did you use as the "bumpers"? Also,If you have any pictures laying around you would be willing to send, that would be great.

Thanks.

Here are some pictures. I did not do much to support the front as I had already decided that the front end would be replaced. I did use some strapping to support the front. As you can see in the close up of the door opening I fabricated some supports that kept the door openings very rigid. Many people say to leave the doors on to keep the body from flexing at the door openings, but it seemed to me that if the body flexed away from the doors then the doors wouldn't prevent this so I decided to keep it from flexing in either direction.

You can see the bumpers I used to set the body on. They fit at the four outer body mount points. I built the dolly square, but the body mounts are not the same distance from side to side for the forward versus rear mounts on the body, so the rubber bumpers are bolted to the L brackets to match the body mount dimensions. Its a little hard to see, but in the middle photo, the bumpers in the front are a little closer to the dolly than the back bumpers. As I recall they were some large table feet or something similar that I got at Home Depot.
Attached Images    

Last edited by dharris45; 11-27-2012 at 07:16 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Body Dollie for '59

Quick Reply: Body Dollie for '59