C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Cigarette lighter question

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 06:50 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Cigarette lighter question

The cigarette ligher on my 67 hasn't worked since I bought the car. I wanted to get it working so I can plug in GPS, cell phone charger, etc.

The AIM shows an orange wire. I found a disconnected orange wire near the lighter so I plugged it into the tab on the outside lighter housing. Instantly blew the 30 amp fuse the PO had protecting that circuit. Replaced the fuse with a correct 20 amp, did some research online and figured out that orange wire must connect to the center pin coming out of the back of the lighter. Hooked it up and all is fine.

But what is that tab for on the outside of the lighter housing? I looked all over here on this forum and at vendors sites and can't find any mention of a tab on the housing and none of the pictures I've come across show this tab.

Thanks,
-- Steve

Old 11-24-2012, 07:06 PM
Velox
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Lighter light bulb "shade" housing clips in there. It's a dash light that provides illumination of the interior of the cigarette lighter housing. There are pictures of the parts at the various parts suppliers like LICS
Old 11-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Velox
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Unless you mean that connector tab on the end of the housing. If so that is where the ground wire attaches
Old 11-24-2012, 07:23 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks.

The tab I'm wondering about is the flat tab sticking up on the outside housing (item on the left in the picture). I don't have anything attached to it right now and the lighter is working.

As far as a light to illuminate the inside of the cigarette lighter, I'll have to look back under there again to see if I can find it.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:46 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
Thanks.

The tab I'm wondering about is the flat tab sticking up on the outside housing (item on the left in the picture). I don't have anything attached to it right now and the lighter is working.

As far as a light to illuminate the inside of the cigarette lighter, I'll have to look back under there again to see if I can find it.
The shield below snaps into two slots in the outer housing, and the bulb holder snaps into the shield. There's no ground connection on a '67 lighter - it grounds through its attachment to the cluster housing.
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2012, 07:54 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The shield below snaps into two slots in the outer housing, and the bulb holder snaps into the shield. There's no ground connection on a '67 lighter - it grounds through its attachment to the cluster housing.
Thanks, John. I quickly found out the lighter was grounded to the cluster housing when I attempted to plug the orange wire into the tab on the back of the outer housing. It came as quite a shock to me .

I need to look up under the dash for the shield and the bulb holder.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:58 AM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

The tab on the outer housing is because it is a replacement (incorrect) housing.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:29 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

I feel sorry for people who can't figure out where there going, or want to go, without a GPS.

Tom Parsons

Get notified of new replies

To Cigarette lighter question

Quick Reply: Cigarette lighter question