C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New Gold Line Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 11:25 PM
327350vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Gold Line Tires

Hello
I am thinking of getting some new Gold Line Radial tires for my 66 vette. I have heard some good things about Diamond Back, but not sure if that is the right tire.
Where can i find some tires with the right shade of Gold and will be correct for judging purposes? Any feedback will be appreciated, just want to make sure i buy the right tires for the car.
Thanks!
Old 11-25-2012, 01:43 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 327350vette
Hello
I am thinking of getting some new Gold Line Radial tires for my 66 vette. I have heard some good things about Diamond Back, but not sure if that is the right tire.
Where can i find some tires with the right shade of Gold and will be correct for judging purposes? Any feedback will be appreciated, just want to make sure i buy the right tires for the car.
Thanks!
Hi,
To incur the least amount of point deductions during judging with the NCRS on new tires, you will have to get bias ply reproduction tires from Coker.
To incur the least amount of point deductions with radials, be sure that they are of the same brand as one of the OEM bias ply tires suppliers originally offered on your car when new in '66, or you will be hit with a full deduct for tires, and not just the partial for having radials.
IMHO, Diamondback supplies the best goldline radials, but Coker also has them.

Paul

Last edited by Fawndeuce; 11-25-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:00 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I have Diamondback Gold lines on my 65, They are the correct color. Obviously you will take a hit for them being radials anyway, but they drive great and look correct. I bought redlines for my 68 and ww for my 61 from them as well. Very pleased with DB
Old 11-25-2012, 08:01 AM
327350vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
Hi,
The incur least amount of point deductions during judging with the NCRS on new tires, you will have to get bias ply reproduction tires from Coker.
The incur least amount of point deductions with radials, be sure that they are of the same brand as one of the OEM bias ply tires suppliers originally offered on your car when new in '66, or you will be hit with a full deduct for tires, and not just the partial for having radials.
IMHO, Diamondback supplies the best goldline radials, but Coker also has them.

Paul
Thanks Paul.
So i am thinking Diamond Back wasnt around in 66? other than Coker, Didnt Firestone or Goodyear supply tires then, and if so where could i go to get them.
thanks
Old 11-25-2012, 08:17 AM
327350vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by capevettes
I have Diamondback Gold lines on my 65, They are the correct color. Obviously you will take a hit for them being radials anyway, but they drive great and look correct. I bought redlines for my 68 and ww for my 61 from them as well. Very pleased with DB
Thanks!
Old 11-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Thanks Paul.
So i am thinking Diamond Back wasnt around in 66? other than Coker, Didnt Firestone or Goodyear supply tires then, and if so where could i go to get them.
thanks
Kelsey Tires in Missouri. Google the name for contact info.

Larry
Old 11-25-2012, 10:05 AM
mhanley
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Contact Russ as he can get you a good discount on tires through Kelsey Tires.

Russell Small
137 NE Parks VIew Ct.
Lee's Summit, MO 64064

His cell is 816-654-3400

Mike
Old 11-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Thanks Paul.
thanks
Diamondback doesn't actually make tires, they add the red, gold, or white stripe to a new regular production radial. They offer different brand choices like Goodrich, Firestone etc. per size.
Coker makes reproduction bias ply tires, and radial versions of redlines and goldlines, they brand them with Goodrich I believe.
I don't have a judging guide for '66, so I don't know what manufacturers are accepted for goldlines, but I'm guessing that at least one of them was Goodrich, because the Coker radial goldlines are Goodrich.
As far as I know Coker or Diamondback are the only two companies who make goldlines (by one means or an other), but Kelsey may resell either or both, I'm not sure.

Paul
Old 11-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Diamondback doesn't actually make tires, they add the red, gold, or white stripe to a new regular production radial. They offer different brand choices like Goodrich, Firestone etc. per size.
Coker makes reproduction bias ply tires, and radial versions of redlines and goldlines, they brand them with Goodrich I believe.
I don't have a judging guide for '66, so I don't know what manufacturers are accepted for goldlines, but I'm guessing that at least one of them was Goodrich, because the Coker radial goldlines are Goodrich.
As far as I know Coker or Diamondback are the only two companies who make goldlines (by one means or an other), but Kelsey may resell either or both, I'm not sure.

Paul
The Kelsey goldline tires are GOODYEAR tires. They are produced from the original Goodyear molds and are correct except for the DOT markings.

OEM manufacturers for goldline tires for Corvettes in 1965-66 were
1. Firestone Super Sports
2. Goodyear Power Cushion

Goodrich was one of the many OEM suppliers for blackwall and whitewall tires during this period. Their tire was the BF Goodrich Silvertown 660 or 770. They did not supply a goldline for Chevrolet Corvettes during the 1965-66 time period.

Coker makes and sells the Firestone Super Sport reproduction goldline bias-ply tire and probably has a radial goldline tire under their house brand that they also sell. At least they did a few years ago. They may be using the Goodrich brand label now for this house tire.

Kelsey makes and sells the Goodyear Power Cushion reproduction goldline bias-ply tire.

Diamondback makes and sells radial goldline tires of current design and manufacture.

For judging, most folks get the Kelsey Goodyear tire. Some get the Coker Firestone SS tire. For driving, most everyone goes to Diamondback.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 11-25-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:17 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

From a judging perspective, OEM-branded radials will get you a 60% deduction, or 75% for non-OEM-branded radials. In either case, that deduction (18-22 points) is less than a lighter that doesn't "pop" or washers that don't squirt. Hardly worth worrying about compared to driving on bias-ply tires.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:54 PM
327350vette
Instructor

Paul
So Diamond Back does sell tires though right? Im looking to get a pair of Firestomes with Gold lines.
thanks Paul
Old 11-25-2012, 05:57 PM
327350vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Powershift
The Kelsey goldline tires are GOODYEAR tires. They are produced from the original Goodyear molds and are correct except for the DOT markings.

OEM manufacturers for goldline tires for Corvettes in 1965-66 were
1. Firestone Super Sports
2. Goodyear Power Cushion

Goodrich was one of the many OEM suppliers for blackwall and whitewall tires during this period. Their tire was the BF Goodrich Silvertown 660 or 770. They did not supply a goldline for Chevrolet Corvettes during the 1965-66 time period.

Coker makes and sells the Firestone Super Sport reproduction goldline bias-ply tire and probably has a radial goldline tire under their house brand that they also sell. At least they did a few years ago. They may be using the Goodrich brand label now for this house tire.

Kelsey makes and sells the Goodyear Power Cushion reproduction goldline bias-ply tire.

Diamondback makes and sells radial goldline tires of current design and manufacture.

For judging, most folks get the Kelsey Goodyear tire. Some get the Coker Firestone SS tire. For driving, most everyone goes to Diamondback.

Larry
thanks for getting me that info. it makes sense to what I have been seeing lately both on the cars themselves as well as on the internet...
Thanks again!
Old 11-26-2012, 12:27 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Powershift
The Kelsey goldline tires are GOODYEAR tires. They are produced from the original Goodyear molds and are correct except for the DOT markings.Larry
Interesting Larry, I've never heard that Kelsey did goldlines, and I don't recall ever seeing them on their website. are they new?

Paul
Old 11-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Interesting Larry, I've never heard that Kelsey did goldlines, and I don't recall ever seeing them on their website. are they new?

Paul

Paul:

I think they have been around awhile. I know the redlines (for 1967 cars) have been. At least ten years.

I have Firestone Deluxe Champion reproduction redlines now on my 1967 car, but plan to buy the Kelsey Goodyear redlines as a replacement. The Firestone Deluxe Champion redline/goldline is incorrect for judging, and one needs the Firestone Super Sports or the Goodyears for max points.

A few of the old Corvette guys claim that the only true original redline or goldline was the Firestone Super Sport, and that no Goodyear redline/goldline tires made it to the assembly line. However the NCRS Judging Guide says either Firestone or Goodyear is acceptable. According to folks that have bought them, the Goodyear tires are stated to ride and handle better than the Firestones reproduced by Coker. FWIW

http://www.kelseytire.com/pages/preformancetires2.html

Larry

Get notified of new replies

To New Gold Line Tires

Quick Reply: New Gold Line Tires