C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Penetrating oil test results

Old 11-25-2012, 12:28 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Penetrating oil test results

A friend just emailed me this .... gonna try the ATF mix on my old tractor fender mounts - nuthin' else has worked on those 9/16 dia bolts :

Penetrating Oils Machinist's Workshop Mag recently published some information on various penetrating oils. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts.

They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oils ........... Average torque load to loosen*

No Oil used .................. 516 pounds
WD-40 ..................... ....238 pounds
PB Blaster ................... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds
Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds
ATF* - Acetone mix..........53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix is a "mix-your-own-brew" -- 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is almost as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50-50 mix.

*ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid
Old 11-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Gee, what grade of ATF (Type A, F, Dexron, Mercon, etc.)?

Just kidding, this has been mentioned previously, and appears to work as claimed.

Plasticman
Old 11-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Thanks for posting that up, very interesting! Now if I can just figure out how to put it in the pressurized can with the spray nozzle and tube I'll be all set.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:15 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good info. I agree with the "ratings" almost 100%, and used the ATF/Acetone in my own shop for many years until I discovered a product made by/for GM, and available at any GM parts department. it's called Rust Penetrant and Inhibitor - heat valve lubricant. and comes in a 12oz spray can under part # 88862627.

try it…. you'll like it.

Russ

Get notified of new replies

To Penetrating oil test results

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Penetrating oil test results