C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

PPG Concept soon to be gone

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 05:13 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Default PPG Concept soon to be gone

Talking to the guys at TCP Global today getting some Lacquer mixed, and they said that PPG has notified them that the Single-Stage Concept paint (DCC) is going to be discontinued. He said that they have already quit ordering toners for the system and are only mixing it from what they have left on the shelf. For those guys that have been using DCC, I would get some touch-up paint before it fades into the sunset.

This is pretty much the end of the line at PPG for anything but BC/CC finishes, as they are probably going to phase out their enamel paint as well.

There are still going to be suppliers that will make single stage Urethane paints, and they will be a lot less expensive than PPG, but I really liked the PPG single stage. I guess I will be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the BC/CC world!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 11-26-2012, 05:19 PM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I am with you, DCC9300 is the best black out there..I hate to see it go.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:37 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

That sucks!!! What a great product it is. I never understood why someone who was doing a solid color would use anything else. O well, I guess I'll be "kicking and screaming" right with you.......

Do you think if we scream loud enough, they'll change thier minds???............Nah!!

Mike Coletta
Old 11-26-2012, 06:00 PM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

just talked to my PPG rep, he "claims" the DCC is not being discontinued, that it is the global DG single stage that is being discontinued...I hope he is right, as he usually lets me know when a product I use frequently is going to be discontinued.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:43 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My kicking and screaming ended pretty quickly after I shot my first bc/cc. I did just shoot a single stage (with a qt of clear mixed in with the color) a couple weeks ago because I wanted a more oem look. but I won't be doing any kicking OR screaming about going back to bc/cc next time

Like Mikeys friends use to say: "trry it…. you'll liike it"

Russ
Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

I have shot lots of it, but I still like single stage better for solid colors. What you give up in depth of gloss, is easily outweighed by ease of touch-up!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 11-26-2012, 07:33 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mike coletta
That sucks!!! What a great product it is. I never understood why someone who was doing a solid color would use anything else. O well, I guess I'll be "kicking and screaming" right with you.......

Do you think if we scream loud enough, they'll change thier minds???............Nah!!

Mike Coletta
Well, if they have actually discontinued it, I will probably try TCP Autocolor's house brand. It is half the money of the PPG stuff anyways!

I switched to using their Lacquer after the local PPG supplier just never seemed to have enough toners to mix whatever I needed. Their Lacuer is almost exactly half the price, and shoots just as good.

Regards, John McGraw

Get notified of new replies

To PPG Concept soon to be gone

Quick Reply: PPG Concept soon to be gone