C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Defining RestoMods - Modifieds - Custom Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 PM
dcaggiani
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Defining RestoMods - Modifieds - Custom Corvettes

It is time to properly define the differences between Originals, Modified Originals, Modifieds, RestoMods and Custom Corvettes.

I welcome responses to incorporate into this draft:

Here is my draft:

Original (Stock)
The definition of an original is a Corvette that is the same today as it was when it left the factory. While many original Corvettes have or will undergo a restoration, the concept of an original Corvette is an unmolested example that even after restoration is no better or different in any way than when it left the factory, while utilizing original (NOS) and/or correct reproduction components down to every nut and bolt as guided by organizations such as NCRS. No modifications are made to such a vehicle. Furthermore, any rare features or factory upgrades, such as Knock-off wheels, radio delete, or mechanical fuel injection from the factory for example, should be accompanied by verifiable documentation.

Original-Modified
As a subset of a defined original Corvette, an original modified Corvette maintains all of the original period hardware or technology of the specific model that may have been later added to the Corvette after a restoration. Therefore, the addition of power windows, mechanical fuel injection, knock-off wheels, a change of interior/exterior colors are changed but they are from what Chevrolet offered for that specific model and more importantly, utilizing factory correct parts to achieve the final result. The difficulty with this category is how to differentiate between Original Corvettes from Original-Modified. Documentation is the key difference between Original and the Original-Modified cars.

Modified
A modified Corvette is any vehicle that incorporates any change that is not stock or period correct and is typified by the incorporation of aftermarket products or GM newer technologies. Most Corvettes fall under this category. The distinction here over a Custom or Resto-Mod Corvette is that the chassis and the body remain relatively unmolested because Modified Corvettes are basically bolt on items or changes that can be reversed to stock/original with relative ease; some examples include:
• Changing out a radio or modernizing existing radio
• Installing a crate engine/transmission or any engine/transmission that is not original to the specific Corvette
• Installation of aftermarket wheels
• Incorporation of disk brakes
• Clock Quartz conversion

RestoMod
The origin of a RestoMod most likely came from “Restoration Modification” meaning that the Corvette was both restored and modified. However, market demand for the incorporation of the latest modern technologies and features evolved into this new category. A RestoMod is better served by the definition “Restoration Modernization” to differentiate from Modified Corvettes due to the level of modernization and arguably craftsmanship level over a Modified. The idea of a RestoMod is to preserve the design intent of the vintage Corvette (typically C1 & C2 but is now growing with C3 as well) with the underpinning technologies of a newer C4/5/6 Corvette. In maintaining design intent, RestoMod Corvettes may incorporate parts or design cues from the era (adding a big block hood or side exhaust for example). A RestoMod is defined as a Corvette that has the following as a minimum:
• Upgraded or new chassis/frame with modern C4/C5/C6 suspension and brakes
• Modern Driveline (typically a fuel injected engine and newer 5/6 speed manual or automatic transmissions
• Restored body (gaps/paint), trim, interior, electrical
From this point, RestoMods vary with features such as stereos, cruise control, A/C-Heaters, GPS, gauges and so on, so long as it does not violate the look of the original design intent of the Corvette.

Custom
A Custom Corvette takes a RestoMod as a baseline and creates a Corvette that deviates from the original design intent altogether. With a Custom Corvette, there are no rules or guidelines. The Corvette is the pallet for the creative design of its builder. Custom interiors/exteriors that look nothing like the original design would be considered a Custom.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:46 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by dcaggiani
It is time to properly define the differences between Originals, Modified Originals, Modifieds, RestoMods and Custom Corvettes.

I welcome responses to incorporate into this draft:

Here is my draft:

Original (Stock)
The definition of an original is a Corvette that is the same today as it was when it left the factory. While many original Corvettes have or will undergo a restoration, the concept of an original Corvette is an unmolested example that even after restoration is no better or different in any way than when it left the factory, while utilizing original (NOS) and/or correct reproduction components down to every nut and bolt as guided by organizations such as NCRS. No modifications are made to such a vehicle. Furthermore, any rare features or factory upgrades, such as Knock-off wheels, radio delete, or mechanical fuel injection from the factory for example, should be accompanied by verifiable documentation.

Original-Modified
As a subset of a defined original Corvette, an original modified Corvette maintains all of the original period hardware or technology of the specific model that may have been later added to the Corvette after a restoration. Therefore, the addition of power windows, mechanical fuel injection, knock-off wheels, a change of interior/exterior colors are changed but they are from what Chevrolet offered for that specific model and more importantly, utilizing factory correct parts to achieve the final result. The difficulty with this category is how to differentiate between Original Corvettes from Original-Modified. Documentation is the key difference between Original and the Original-Modified cars.

Modified
A modified Corvette is any vehicle that incorporates any change that is not stock or period correct and is typified by the incorporation of aftermarket products or GM newer technologies. Most Corvettes fall under this category. The distinction here over a Custom or Resto-Mod Corvette is that the chassis and the body remain relatively unmolested because Modified Corvettes are basically bolt on items or changes that can be reversed to stock/original with relative ease; some examples include:
• Changing out a radio or modernizing existing radio
• Installing a crate engine/transmission or any engine/transmission that is not original to the specific Corvette
• Installation of aftermarket wheels
• Incorporation of disk brakes
• Clock Quartz conversion

RestoMod
The origin of a RestoMod most likely came from “Restoration Modification” meaning that the Corvette was both restored and modified. However, market demand for the incorporation of the latest modern technologies and features evolved into this new category. A RestoMod is better served by the definition “Restoration Modernization” to differentiate from Modified Corvettes due to the level of modernization and arguably craftsmanship level over a Modified. The idea of a RestoMod is to preserve the design intent of the vintage Corvette (typically C1 & C2 but is now growing with C3 as well) with the underpinning technologies of a newer C4/5/6 Corvette. In maintaining design intent, RestoMod Corvettes may incorporate parts or design cues from the era (adding a big block hood or side exhaust for example). A RestoMod is defined as a Corvette that has the following as a minimum:
• Upgraded or new chassis/frame with modern C4/C5/C6 suspension and brakes
• Modern Driveline (typically a fuel injected engine and newer 5/6 speed manual or automatic transmissions
• Restored body (gaps/paint), trim, interior, electrical
From this point, RestoMods vary with features such as stereos, cruise control, A/C-Heaters, GPS, gauges and so on, so long as it does not violate the look of the original design intent of the Corvette.

Custom
A Custom Corvette takes a RestoMod as a baseline and creates a Corvette that deviates from the original design intent altogether. With a Custom Corvette, there are no rules or guidelines. The Corvette is the pallet for the creative design of its builder. Custom interiors/exteriors that look nothing like the original design would be considered a Custom.
Dan,

Do a little more research on subject. Also I'm not sure if I'm reading your right that you think Restomod is Corvette only term. It's not.

Custom Corvettes in past and the present never have used Restomod as a baseline. Customizers uses their creative imagination to create something that breaks a cars design away from the ordinary. The majority of customs are not radical.

My 64 is not even close to being in the true Custom Car class. Customs do have to even come close to being radical in design changes to body either. If you were to take a good look at the past winners of The Riddler Award and The Grand National Roadster Show you will see they are works of art from the underneath of car, to engine compartment, to interior, and to exterior.

My 64 is nothing more than Stylized Pro Touring/Restomod/Streetrod. The only difference between my 64 and yours.

Your engine compartment is far more customized than mind is. I didn't bother to try and hide things, are even paint it body color. My engine compartment is all about being able to maintain it and functionality over looks.

Face the facts, per your views you have a custom car. Form my view I have a wide body Pro touring car that has been Stylized. What the stylizing did was take the most male bodied designed car ever and Trans-Gendered it to a female body...

You wanted to make your car your own with your changes. I wanted to make my car my very own by taking what other before me had done, only refine their changes a little by changing 94% of the cars original body panels. Didn't change the front head light, grill, or turn signal area. The top panel has been changed, but very few would know it without another coupe parked next to it and pointed out to them...LOL

You have Subtle and I have Subtle Outrageousness. They are both in the same vein, so please do not try to make things so complicated..
Old 11-28-2012, 07:36 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext
Dan,

Do a little more research on subject. Also I'm not sure if I'm reading your right that you think Restomod is Corvette only term. It's not.

Custom Corvettes in past and the present never have used Restomod as a baseline. Customizers uses their creative imagination to create something that breaks a cars design away from the ordinary. The majority of customs are not radical.

My 64 is not even close to being in the true Custom Car class. Customs do have to even come close to being radical in design changes to body either. If you were to take a good look at the past winners of The Riddler Award and The Grand National Roadster Show you will see they are works of art from the underneath of car, to engine compartment, to interior, and to exterior.

My 64 is nothing more than Stylized Pro Touring/Restomod/Streetrod. The only difference between my 64 and yours.

Your engine compartment is far more customized than mind is. I didn't bother to try and hide things, are even paint it body color. My engine compartment is all about being able to maintain it and functionality over looks.

Face the facts, per your views you have a custom car. Form my view I have a wide body Pro touring car that has been Stylized. What the stylizing did was take the most male bodied designed car ever and Trans-Gendered it to a female body...

You wanted to make your car your own with your changes. I wanted to make my car my very own by taking what other before me had done, only refine their changes a little by changing 94% of the cars original body panels. Didn't change the front head light, grill, or turn signal area. The top panel has been changed, but very few would know it without another coupe parked next to it and pointed out to them...LOL

You have Subtle and I have Subtle Outrageousness. They are both in the same vein, so please do not try to make things so complicated..
You can call it what ever you want, it's yours. I call mine a Retro Mod. No laws being broken here.

Get notified of new replies

To Defining RestoMods - Modifieds - Custom Corvettes

Quick Reply: Defining RestoMods - Modifieds - Custom Corvettes