C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ammeter needle has gone south for the winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 04:40 PM
robbie shirkowski
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Ammeter needle has gone south for the winter

I was puttsing around with the 63 horn relay and i must have touched both the positive and negitave terminals with the screw driver because there was a spark. Everything seemed fine untill I noticed the ammeter. Normally the needle points north but not now. The guage still works ,it moves when you turn the headlights and turn signals on etc. I realize I am luck to have not burned out the entire wiring system. I was told that I could do the following to fix the problem. 1. use a paper clip and touch both terminals on the back of the guage and the needle would correct itself 2. remove the guage and just move the needle to the north position. The little pegs that should have stopped the needle from doing a 160 didn't stop it. I don't like option 1 at all but if it works it would save some time. What is your solution to the problem. Rob
Old 12-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Jim_C
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 7 Posts

Robbie
The battery gauge in a 63 is actually a sensitive volt meter that measures the voltage drop across a shunt. The shunt is the #10 red wire that runs from the starter battery terminal to the horn relay. Shorting the two meter terminals won't do anything. They are already "shorted" by the shunt.

When you momentarily touched the horn relay terminal to ground you put full 12 volts across the battery meter causing it to deflect violently.

If it still moves with load changes you must not have burned it up.

Never happened to me but I think you're going to have to pull the meter and move the pointer back to the correct position.

CUL Jim
Old 12-04-2012, 05:28 PM
63atlast
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob...if you are certain it still works, I think you have to pull it out in order to flip it back to the proper position. Mine was flipped upside down when I bought it. Easy problem to correct once it is out of the dash. Good news is that it is one of the gauges that you can get out without taking out the whole dash...if you have small hands and a roll of quarters for the 'cuss jar. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Fellow member Chuck Gongloff has the fix for this - he went through exactly the same thing on his '63 years ago, and posted the non-invasive fix; I filed it somewhere back in the day, but haven't located it.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:53 AM
robbie shirkowski
Instructor

Thanks to this forum I fixed my ammeter needle problem without pulling the meter. I disconnected the two prong plug on the rear of the meter and using alligator clips attached to the prongs, I touched my trickle charger to the opposite end of the clips. After several attemps the needle went north! I started the car and the needle works great. Again I used my 1.5 amp trickle charger.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

I have a similar problem with mine.
I will give it a try
Thanks
Old 12-20-2012, 10:50 AM
rdc
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Mine stays north (never moves) plugged in or not so I'm not sure what to try.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:05 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

If this had been me i would have been sure that the ammeter was broken
So if the ammeter get to much power it can move the needle and to correct it again give it a power boost again

Noted and stored on my computer

Last edited by TheSaint; 12-20-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:08 PM
robbie shirkowski
Instructor

rdc I would try my method to see if the needle flickers. if it doesn't then I would have to believe the meter is broken. RYanulis you will have to tap the clips a lot. It will flicker to east or west but keep trying. Are you sure the meter is not broken? My meter while in the south position would still move when a draw was put on the battery. The Saint I'm glad you fine the thread helpful enough to save.

Last edited by robbie shirkowski; 12-31-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:21 AM
abe g
Racer

Default correct ammeter needle position on63 swc

I had this happen several times over a period of 20 years on my 63. AT YOUR RISK ! i TAPPED THE REAR OF THE AMMETER CASE WITH A SMALL HAMMER The needle went straight up! Good luck, Abe G
Old 12-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Well. I thought.......what the heck.

My ammeter needle was pointing down, so I tapped on the back of the gage........nothing happened.

Turned on the headlights (electrical load) and the needle immediately went straight up

Easiest repair I have ever done.

Thanks Guys

Last edited by Rich Yanulis; 12-21-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:30 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Don't count your luck yet..the world still may end today
Old 12-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Fellow member Chuck Gongloff has the fix for this - he went through exactly the same thing on his '63 years ago, and posted the non-invasive fix; I filed it somewhere back in the day, but haven't located it.
Originally Posted by robbie shirkowski
Thanks to this forum I fixed my ammeter needle problem without pulling the meter. I disconnected the two prong plug on the rear of the meter and using alligator clips attached to the prongs, I touched my trickle charger to the opposite end of the clips. After several attemps the needle went north! I started the car and the needle works great. Again I used my 1.5 amp trickle charger.
Yep, that's the fix. Must be an epidemic of this going around.

No need to pull it out.

When my amp meter gauge went southbound, it was because I inadvertently hooked the + to the - on my trickle charger. When the red "caution" light lit up on the charger, I realized my error..........

Chuck
Old 12-30-2012, 05:46 PM
our60
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rdc
Mine stays north (never moves) plugged in or not so I'm not sure what to try.

A friend purchased a so-so restored '63 coupe with a bunch of gremlins in it. One was an inoperative ammeter. I had read in an NCRS technical paper that due to the design of the ammeter circuit an increase in resistance of only 2 ohms in the circuit will cause the meter to stop functioning. I thoroughly cleaned all the terminals I could easily reach. No help, so I dug further. I pulled the main harness connector that goes through the firewall apart and found a lot of corrosion inside. I cleaned all the connections thoroughly, put the connector blocks back together and the meter worked.

Get notified of new replies

To Ammeter needle has gone south for the winter

Quick Reply: Ammeter needle has gone south for the winter