C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

ebay tips

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:42 AM
dennis sellards
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ebay tips

Through all of these years I have accumulated several parts from the vettes,camaros and chevelle. I have never listed anything on ebay. What tips do you have for me
Old 12-14-2012, 09:22 AM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

1. many pictures
2. much description
Old 12-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

And try the Corvette Parts here first... you will loose $ in listing, selling, and paypal fees. via eBay.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:46 AM
dennis sellards
Racer

Originally Posted by Revfan
And try the Corvette Parts here first... you will loose $ in listing, selling, and paypal fees. via eBay.
Thanks for the advice.I just listed a carb from the '67 here in the parts section. I am probably out of luck though on the non vette parts
Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Gobot
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would start out with small items on Ebay to build some feedback. I have over 300 transactions through ebay with only positive feedback so buyers feel more comfortable bidding on things.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,944 Likes on 4,783 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

What kind of Chevelle parts do you have?
Old 12-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Revfan
Yes, when you add up E-Bay's selling fees including Paypal, you are giving away around 10% to them. Their listings may be free, but they get you on the back end if it sells. Why not list your items HERE on the Forum for free and save some money while giving fellow enthusiasts a shot at some parts they may need.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Yes - there are prob more than a few Camaro, Chevelle owners on this forum too.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Old Vet
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Craigslist all the time, list your phone number not an email address, too much junk mail. No fees, easy to use, post up to 8 pictures. If they don't wanna call about item they are not serious. Don't take paypal, big scam oncoming currently, cash in person, don't let them in your house or garage as they look for parts to come back later and steal....

I probably have 50 or so craigslist ads online every day. Ad expires after 45 days but ya just repost it - for free!

Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:26 PM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

I just started to sell on Ebay about 2 months ago. Sold about 90% of my car parts, model cars and airplanes there. Most of the buyers paid within 2 days, some immediately. So far no non payers. The only issue that I have is a lot of buyers don't leave any feedback. So the next time, I will only leave a feedback after the buyer leaves one first. Shipping overseas is very pricey.
Going to start selling my bigger stuff: "802" heads and Powerglide transmissions.

Last edited by wonderful; 12-14-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:51 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

It will cost you 20% on Ebay after all is said and done if you get paid by Paypal. Try selling elsewhere first. I have over 1000 Ebay transactions, and it has been expensive to say the least.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:39 PM
wonderful
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by claysmoker
It will cost you 20% on Ebay after all is said and done if you get paid by Paypal. Try selling elsewhere first. I have over 1000 Ebay transactions, and it has been expensive to say the least.
New sellers have to wait 3 weeks for their money from Paypal.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:34 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Ebay gives you world wide exposure, good for small expensive things..like a vette specific carb. But I try to avoid shipping foreign, too much hassle.

I use CL for bigger items where shipping would be prohibitive
Old 12-15-2012, 04:06 PM
427390HP
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I have sold a lot of parts over the past 5 years on Ebay. Most of these parts were for GTO's, which I was into for quite a while. But I have also sold a lot of other parts. A few were very desirable Corvette parts that I sold for my brother that brought big $$$$.

I started out selling on one of the Pontiac Forums and the desirable stuff did sell there. But other good but not as desirable parts wouldn't sell, so I went to Ebay. Since then I have continued to sell parts with good success.

I know a lot of people don't like Ebay, but remember this:

1. You get worldwide exposure whether you ship out of the country or not.

2. You have a variety of ways to sell your item, i.e., auction, fixed price, best offer, etc. Most forums require a fixed price. That doesn't mean deals can't be made on forums, but I have got a lot more money for items on Ebay than I would have ever got by stating a fixed price on a forum.

3. People complain about Ebay and PayPal fees and I will admit I'm not happy about their latest fee revisions. But take a part to your local SellPro or some place like that and see what they charge you to do the same thing yourself. The local SellPro here gets 40-50% !!!

4. Generally parts sales on Ebay paid by PayPal cost 13% of the total price. That means you get 87% of your asking price. How many times have you got your asking price on a Forum sale? And you can increase your "bottom line" price by a percentage to compensate for the fees. Frankly, if you put a little thought and work into marketing your parts on Ebay, you will come out ahead of Forum type sale sales much more often IN MY OPINION.

I'm not trying to promote Ebay, and Ebay is far from the perfect solution, but it is by far one of the best venues to sell parts you want to get rid of. As far as Craigslist, I have so much trouble trying to buy parts on Craigslist I haven't had the nerve to try and sell there. Plus, if you put either your email or phone in Craigslist, you get more scammers, idiots, and who knows what else than you do prospective buyers. Hey, if you're a fan of Craigslist - great! That's what makes this world go 'round.

There are two tips I would suggest to improve your profit on any part regardless of where you sell it:

1. Clean the dang part up a little. At least wipe off 10 years of shelf grime so people have an idea what the part even looks like. I never sell a dirty part and I can honestly say I get an average of 50% more for my stuff because it is clean, polished, painted, etc.

2. Take a couple of good, clear pictures with as little of background clutter as possible. I won't even ask about a part if there's no picture. And pictures so fuzzy are worthless. I looked at one picture of a part in a literal pile of junk in a garage and never did find the part.

It's like anything, put little work and effort into it and that's what you will get out of it. Put some decent work and effort into it and most of the time you will be rewarded for your work.

OK, that my $ .02 plus another $1.00 worth!

Terry
Old 12-15-2012, 10:56 PM
project63
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Its pretty simple...include the information and pictures you would want to know and see if you were buying the part yourself. Fully disclose any damage or flaws and include a pic of that too.

tc
Old 12-16-2012, 08:53 AM
65specialk
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Craigslist. I sell or buy at least one item every week on there site. . I have never had any luck with buying or selling on this site. Dave
Old 12-16-2012, 10:36 AM
dennis sellards
Racer

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
What kind of Chevelle parts do you have?
I have a steering wheel from my old '66 as well as air cleaner,hubcaps and some other smaller pieces

Get notified of new replies

To ebay tips

Old 12-16-2012, 12:16 PM
dennis sellards
Racer

Thanks for all of the tips.This exactly the info that I was looking for,I have another forum member coming over tomorrow to look over the vette parts.I will give craigslist a try and see how it works before heading to EBAY
Old 12-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I've bought quite a few parts from Corvette forum members and the transactions have been universally excellent. Original, unrestored C1 leaf springs, redline Coker reproduction radial tires, NOS C1 chrome front grille eyebrows, correct original C1 aluminum valve covers and many others -- all from different folks. Also sold a very few items on here with equal success.

Never got 'stiffed' or had a disappointment in the description of the part.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:56 PM
jerhofer
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 427390HP
I have sold a lot of parts over the past 5 years on Ebay. Most of these parts were for GTO's, which I was into for quite a while. But I have also sold a lot of other parts. A few were very desirable Corvette parts that I sold for my brother that brought big $$$$.

I started out selling on one of the Pontiac Forums and the desirable stuff did sell there. But other good but not as desirable parts wouldn't sell, so I went to Ebay. Since then I have continued to sell parts with good success.

I know a lot of people don't like Ebay, but remember this:

1. You get worldwide exposure whether you ship out of the country or not.

2. You have a variety of ways to sell your item, i.e., auction, fixed price, best offer, etc. Most forums require a fixed price. That doesn't mean deals can't be made on forums, but I have got a lot more money for items on Ebay than I would have ever got by stating a fixed price on a forum.

3. People complain about Ebay and PayPal fees and I will admit I'm not happy about their latest fee revisions. But take a part to your local SellPro or some place like that and see what they charge you to do the same thing yourself. The local SellPro here gets 40-50% !!!

4. Generally parts sales on Ebay paid by PayPal cost 13% of the total price. That means you get 87% of your asking price. How many times have you got your asking price on a Forum sale? And you can increase your "bottom line" price by a percentage to compensate for the fees. Frankly, if you put a little thought and work into marketing your parts on Ebay, you will come out ahead of Forum type sale sales much more often IN MY OPINION.

I'm not trying to promote Ebay, and Ebay is far from the perfect solution, but it is by far one of the best venues to sell parts you want to get rid of. As far as Craigslist, I have so much trouble trying to buy parts on Craigslist I haven't had the nerve to try and sell there. Plus, if you put either your email or phone in Craigslist, you get more scammers, idiots, and who knows what else than you do prospective buyers. Hey, if you're a fan of Craigslist - great! That's what makes this world go 'round.

There are two tips I would suggest to improve your profit on any part regardless of where you sell it:

1. Clean the dang part up a little. At least wipe off 10 years of shelf grime so people have an idea what the part even looks like. I never sell a dirty part and I can honestly say I get an average of 50% more for my stuff because it is clean, polished, painted, etc.

2. Take a couple of good, clear pictures with as little of background clutter as possible. I won't even ask about a part if there's no picture. And pictures so fuzzy are worthless. I looked at one picture of a part in a literal pile of junk in a garage and never did find the part.

It's like anything, put little work and effort into it and that's what you will get out of it. Put some decent work and effort into it and most of the time you will be rewarded for your work.

OK, that my $ .02 plus another $1.00 worth!

Terry
I agree with everything above. Cannot emphasize enough the cleaning of parts and vehicles and taking good, clear photos. For vehicles you can post 24 photos and 12 photos are available for other items. For a vehicle, 24 photos is not enough for me because you need to show photos of both the good and bad of the item you are selling. Always show any flaws and you will avoid nasty incidents later.

I normally take many, many more than their maximum, post them on Photobucket and then include a link to that album. I sold a 1968 Corvette 427/435 for a friend and posted over 200 photos on Photobucket. The buyer was pleased as punch because I took photos of everything. If you post enough good clear photos, you vastly reduce the number of questions from buyers and increase their confidence in buying from you. Over my 13 years on EBay I have had very few issues with EBay sales or purchases and those were resolved.

My take on the Craigslist vs EBay is that I like to buy from Craigslist because I feel I can get a deal. I have much more luck selling on EBay and getting move value for the parts I sell. I do feel very comfortable buying on EBay, if that is the best solution, because of the feedback ratings. Plus with both EBay and PayPal you have options if things go wrong. Not so much with Craigslist. Of course that does not keep me from doing a few pet searches every day on the local Craigslist!! Never know when I might get lucky.

Quick Reply: ebay tips