C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone know this blk/blk '65 for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 04:34 PM
89onlyZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Anyone know this blk/blk '65 for sale?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...491512754.html

I've always wanted a blk/blk '65 just like the Stingray show in the '80's. Has anyone looked at this car or know of the dealer? It's "Coast Corvette" and not "West Coast Corvette". Can't find much on Coast Corvette.

Not concerned much about originality but wouldn't want frame/cage rust or a butchered accident (franken-)car.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:15 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Not a bad price for a solid NOM runner but this '66 does have '65 seats,glovebox and dash *****. And no passenger leg room ...

Ray
Old 12-25-2012, 06:21 PM
bighouse
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fast motor and A/C. man I bet it'll be a blast to drive. We just did a zz4 and a 4 speed in a car of my brothers and that is one quick motor!
Old 12-25-2012, 06:26 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
Not a bad price for a solid NOM runner but this '66 does have '65 seats,glovebox and dash *****. And no passenger leg room ...

Ray
It could be because it's a 65 just as advertised.

Jim
Old 12-25-2012, 06:43 PM
VetteRed1965
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rayvaflav

Ray
Its a great price on a nom !
Old 12-25-2012, 07:15 PM
89onlyZ51
Burning Brakes

No emblems and later/aftermarket mirrors, too. Can't tell if it's original-bodied from the pics.

Maybe someone on here will buy it so I can quit dreaming...
Old 12-25-2012, 07:35 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Interesting - it appears to have a big block radiator in it.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:06 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
It could be because it's a 65 just as advertised.

Jim
Ahh, now I see. They say that the eyes are the first to go. In my case it was my hands, then my kidneys and then my eyes. Luckily, I still have my looks ...

Ray
Old 12-25-2012, 09:30 PM
TheGanzman
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've driven it. Has a full replacement one-piece front end, FWIW. Has a few "issues" - headlight motors, some "clunking" in the rear end, fiberglass rear springs, poly bushings. AC unit is a bit "dated" - must be an early Vintage Air unit; maybe even one of their "generic" units. Paint ain't perfect, but not bad; car was originally red. I like it, and am considering it myself...

Oh yeah - another thing. After I finished driving it, I got underneath it to see if anything was leaking - the overflow tank WAS pissing coolant; not sure if maybe the electric fans aren't working, or maybe there's a "switch" somewhere on the dash that I didn't turn on...

Another other thing - I think it has a (numerically) low rear end in it, maybe 3.08? Doesn't really "take off" that quickly...

Last edited by TheGanzman; 12-25-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:48 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGanzman
I've driven it. Has a full replacement one-piece front end, FWIW. Has a few "issues" - headlight motors, some "clunking" in the rear end, fiberglass rear springs, poly bushings. AC unit is a bit "dated" - must be an early Vintage Air unit; maybe even one of their "generic" units. Paint ain't perfect, but not bad; car was originally red. I like it, and am considering it myself...

Oh yeah - another thing. After I finished driving it, I got underneath it to see if anything was leaking - the overflow tank WAS pissing coolant; not sure if maybe the electric fans aren't working, or maybe there's a "switch" somewhere on the dash that I didn't turn on...

Another other thing - I think it has a (numerically) low rear end in it, maybe 3.08? Doesn't really "take off" that quickly...
Thanks for the 1st hand experience with this car. Sounds like the dealer needs to be more accurate with their description, which is typical.

Jim
Old 12-25-2012, 09:52 PM
TheGanzman
Racer

Originally Posted by 1snake
Thanks for the 1st hand experience with this car. Sounds like the dealer needs to be more accurate with their description, which is typical.

Jim
He's not bad, really. He told me ALL of that stuff from jump street, except for the coolant/overheating(?) issue. Stand-up guy. I've kinda got "first dibs" on the car, but they haven't been able to service the headlights and rear-end yet; too busy working on customer cars, which come first. Once he's done all that, I'm supposed to get the call...
Old 12-25-2012, 10:12 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Craigs List must limit the amount of text you can provide in the description, otherwise I'd think he would share all of those subtle details in the listing.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:07 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

He's not bad, really. He told me ALL of that stuff from jump street, except for the coolant/overheating(?) issue. Stand-up guy. I've kinda got "first dibs" on the car, but they haven't been able to service the headlights and rear-end yet; too busy working on customer cars, which come first. Once he's done all that, I'm supposed to get the call...
CHUCK HANCE is the owner / dealer. He has been into Corvettes since 1959-61 if I remember right. Created COAST CORVETTES in Anaheim, CA in 1970-72. This is his 4th location. He Raced Corvettes.....Collects Corvettes......Has has a full service shop, body, paint, the whole 9 yards. Worked for GM Styling back in the Harley Earl days.

Fun guy, quiet but always there. If you look close the car is a 65 (vents behind doors), leather POWER WINDOW , TELE, and a big block hood and radiator. Was more than ,likely a red 396 cp when new. Chuck will tell you the truth. JUST ASK.....HAPPY NEW YEAR
Old 12-26-2012, 10:43 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,268 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Craigs List must limit the amount of text you can provide in the description, otherwise I'd think he would share all of those subtle details in the listing.
65 Blk/Blk coupe on So CAL used vette dealer lot for under $34,000 you could pretty much guess all the big stuff. Then throw in a myriad of little stuff and you're done. Seems like a real honest ad to me...
Old 12-29-2012, 01:41 PM
89onlyZ51
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the firsthand account - that's great info! Sounds pretty solid although I'm curious as to why the 1 piece front end. Did the frame look clean/rust free from what you could see?

Timing is horrible for me right now, and I won't get in the way if you're seriously considering it
Old 12-29-2012, 01:46 PM
TheGanzman
Racer

Originally Posted by 89onlyZ51
Thanks for the firsthand account - that's great info! Sounds pretty solid although I'm curious as to why the 1 piece front end. Did the frame look clean/rust free from what you could see?

Timing is horrible for me right now, and I won't get in the way if you're seriously considering it
Timing ain't GREAT for me either, LOL. I'm in the throes of a big guitar deal that prolly won't move "quickly"; if it does, then I'm a (potential) buyer - got to revisit the car though. One piece front end was likely an Eckler's (or other vendor) replacement from the '70's/'80's - safe bet that the car took some kind of front end hit back in the day....
Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by 89onlyZ51

A ''one piece front end'' was a very common replacemnt back in the day when a 65 Corvette was just a ''used car'' . My first 65 that I bought was a coupe in 1969. Paid $1500 for it. How much would you spend to repair a front end collision? $500- to $750 was the cost for the one piece from an aftermarket company like D&D CORVETTE in California or ECKLER'S in Florida. All the NOS replacement parts from Chevrolet were twice that. And labor to install was 10 hours vs. 60 or more. Then you have to paint the car

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know this blk/blk '65 for sale?

Quick Reply: Anyone know this blk/blk '65 for sale?