C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

half shaft caps and bolts

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 12:17 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

Default half shaft caps and bolts

The later diff carrier units that use caps and bolts, instead of u bolts and nuts: The center line hole in the caps being offset to one side, does the offset go in (towards u joint) or out (away)? .. The caps also have and arrow embossed into them for orientation - again not sure if that means 'in' or 'out'. ..

I thought the diff change out was going to be a straight across bolt-in............NOPE! . .
Old 06-25-2013, 07:52 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,949 Posts

I don't think I noticed this on mine but I may have just oriented them in the manner in which they aligned with the yoke seat and forgot about it. In any event this will bump this back to the top for further input.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:52 AM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Factory caps are not offset. Aftermarket ones are because they are not made correctly. New OEM style are available.
Mike
Old 06-26-2013, 12:42 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

I have some extra genuine GM caps if you or anyone else is interested...
Old 06-26-2013, 01:38 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

Dan ..
Thanks for the bump. This thing with the offset caps, I have to wonder why they were done or made that way. I did install them on one stub axle to see how they looked. It seems the offset portion is supposed to install 'in' (towards u joint). One thing I noticed is that the offset portion does seem to capture more of the u joint trunnion. Maybe that was the reason for making these particular caps that way? ..

tracdogg2 ..
Well, now I'm wondering about that. The other thing I noticed is that after tightening down these offset caps, there appears to be a slight in the center split between mating ends. Appears to be about an .008 thou gap, or so. I can see partial thread of the bolts.

redvetracr ..
I'm interested in those caps. The last thing I need is to have a situation where some kind of cap crap out occurs hundreds of miles from home.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:47 PM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Buy the correct caps from Redvetracr. There is supposed to be a slight gap between the cap and the axle.
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To half shaft caps and bolts

Quick Reply: half shaft caps and bolts