C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What happens when all your projects are done?

Old 12-26-2012, 09:09 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Default What happens when all your projects are done?

Personally, I keep finding other things to work on. Now that I have my new engine, trans, steering, AC etc. etc. I am looking to do things that I didn't think of before. Like, tinted glass, fuel injection.
I guess the bottom line is that I like working on the car almost as much as I like driving it. Do I have a problem?? Maybe it is because in Cleveland, Ohio we can't drive for 5 months of the year.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:29 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 874 Likes on 537 Posts

I'm not sure. I have a personality flaw it seems that means buying a neglected car that hasn't run in a while, getting it running and looking better, and about that time after driving and tinkering a year or so I lose interest and sell it with more left to do in favor of another neglected car. I have the idea that this is because the bumper C3, the Challenger, and the Pontiacs have all been cheap replacements on my way to a Sting Ray. Here's hoping that project never gets old!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:03 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
I guess the bottom line is that I like working on the car almost as much as I like driving it. Do I have a problem?? Maybe it is because in Cleveland, Ohio we can't drive for 5 months of the year.
I get as much, or more enjoyment working on them than driving them. When I'm done with a car, I move on to the next one. Usually I sell the finished one but I think I'll probably keep my 65 as a garage mate for my 60. I have no idea what the next project will be but it's sure fun looking.

Jim
Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 AM
MCMLXI
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C1 of the Year Finalist
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified

I have the same problem.

I purchased a 1972 that needed a bit of "work". I then spent the next 5 years working on it. And when it was near perfect, I started taking it to car shows. I got bored with this quick.

So I sold the 1972, and purchased a 1961 that needed a bit of "work". I have been working on this one for the last year. I will likely finish this one in late 2013 or early 2014.

I need help ....
Old 12-26-2012, 10:16 AM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Most people love to work on their cars. But if you get it to the point that it is all good, just go get another one.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:28 AM
63splitter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Time to move on to the next one

I have restored about 5 cars and built a 41 ****** pro-street car that took 5 years. I have found that "the trip is much more fun than the destination". Once they are done, I get anxious to start another one. Unfortunately I can only own 1 at a time, so I drive the car I just finished for a little while and once I find my next project I sell the finished vehicle and start on the next one. I am a "buy high, sell low" kind of guy - everyone who knows me tracks my progress on a car knowing it will be for sale at half of what I have into it in parts alone. This is not a sustainable business model, I know, but everyone who's done this knows it is much cheaper to buy a car all done than to restore one. But what fun is that???

Rick
Old 12-26-2012, 10:43 AM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

For me it always looks like there is something i find to do on my car.
I just bought a 14" steering wheel wrapped in black leather which i plan on mill out the spokes so it looks more time period correct to my 1964 coupe

I have to buy a 1963-66 steering wheel hub that i need to mill down for the bottom spoke for the new steering wheel
Old 12-26-2012, 10:52 AM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Until I found this forum, I always thought I was a one-of-a- kind oddball that would buy a basket case and spend months bringing it back from the brink, drive it a few times, then sell it for the cost of the parts in the project alone and replace it with another derelict.
Its great to see that you are all just as nuts as I am!

As I heard many years ago:
"The worst thing that can happen to a man is to accomplish all his goals"
Unknown

Russ
Old 12-26-2012, 10:58 AM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
Personally, I keep finding other things to work on. Now that I have my new engine, trans, steering, AC etc. etc. I am looking to do things that I didn't think of before. Like, tinted glass, fuel injection.
Woods,

Ain't that the truth. I too have got the winter bug to do a shoulder belt install as well as replace the windshield with tinted version AND put in 4 way flashers. All this after just having a 5 speed installed, 'course added Classic Auto Air 4 years ago as well redid the seats last winter (with your insight, ), stayfast top install in '11...the list goes on. Not into selling and buying for another project. Just seems I'm really NEVER done with her.

Just making her more user friendly for the long hauls.

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:24 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Anyone having trouble finding a project to work on is welcome to come over to my garage and dive in. The beer is always cold.

Sounds like maybe some here are so desperate for a project they might pay me to work on my car
Old 12-26-2012, 11:26 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

I'v gone through many cars and Corvettes but always kept the 55 Corvette because back then no one wonted a 55. Now have a 61 544 Volvo to play with, just like to keep doing something to get me out of the house. But I drive the 55 vary often so it also keeps me maintaining it and collecting parts if it needs them.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:35 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Roy - I got a Corvette calendar for Christmas. The picture on the 1st page is of a 1955 Corvette done in yellow with a green top. I knew that combo was available but I've never seen a picture of one. I can't believe they only made 15 of those really nice-looking copper Corvettes that year while they produced 120 of them in that hideous yellow/green combination.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:14 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

So I am not alone. In the past I bought, restored and sold a lot of cars. I was planning on keeping my current 65 coupe. However, I am running out of projects and getting the itch to dive into another one. I found a 64SS project car but you can get REAL upside down on this real fast.
( mine was stolen and I always wanted to get it back) I guess it is not about the $.
For now I am fighting the itch and planning on installing the tinted glass and maybe Fuel injection. Probably not the right moves but I don't care.

BTW, RatDog, If I lived closer I would take you up on your offer.

Last edited by woodsdesign; 12-26-2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: more info.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:06 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,540 Likes on 2,156 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I don't have another restoration in me All I do now is drive them and fix them when they break. I still enjoy doing my maintenance and I love to polish them. Sitting in the garage with a cold one isn't so bad either
Old 12-26-2012, 02:40 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
I don't have another restoration in me
Oh boy, can I relate to that one. I think it's been five cars ago that I said "I can't do this anymore, so this is my last car that needs a major rebuild".
I just starting another one last week (end of the world 62 rebuild), but this is really the last one.

Russ
Old 12-26-2012, 02:52 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

What happens?

You die!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:13 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 211 Posts

I'm just the opposite. I'm the guy who buys your car when you get tired of it for 1/2 the price you have into it, drive it for a couple years and then sell it at a profit. Well at 55 I decided to build my own but at my age I don't ever intend to sell it because I will never recoupe my money. I'm 58 now and i'm still not done yet. I planned on 5 years as I just have so many other things to do so I go weeks at a time without touching it. I will eventually hand it over to my son and maybe build another one in my retirerment.

Get notified of new replies

To What happens when all your projects are done?

Old 12-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by claysmoker
What happens?

You die!
Precisely. The projects don't end. You do.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:05 PM
waltonb123
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrPbody
Until I found this forum, I always thought I was a one-of-a- kind oddball that would buy a basket case and spend months bringing it back from the brink, drive it a few times, then sell it for the cost of the parts in the project alone and replace it with another derelict.

Unknown

Russ
Lol...this sounds like a therapy thread! CA- Corvettes Anonymous.
I'm not even finished with mine and I'm starting to look, my wife wants to haver committed
Bob

Last edited by waltonb123; 12-26-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:08 PM
waltonb123
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrPbody

Unknown

Russ
Lol...this sounds like a therapy thread! CA- Corvettes Anonymous.
I'm not even finished with mine and I'm starting to look, my wife wants to have me committed
Bob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What happens when all your projects are done?