C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

You Must watch this bad gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 03:53 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by EDinPA
I was agreeing that the separation issue is a problem. And with 2 strokes it will also separate out the oil that needs to be mixed in the fuel.
Don't disagree with that. The key is to keep you fuel storage sealed and not allow it exposed to water or long bout of exposure to atmosphere. If you notice, it will also evaporate away on you pretty fast if left uncapped.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:12 PM
jimmies63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14,'17, '20-'21

Originally Posted by MikeM
Don't disagree with that. The key is to keep you fuel storage sealed and not allow it exposed to water or long bout of exposure to atmosphere. If you notice, it will also evaporate away on you pretty fast if left uncapped.
Storing a gallon of gas in a container with stabilizer isnt a problem. A lot of equipment doesn't have a sealed system like the gas can or a modern car. I don't think my 63 is a sealed system. As temps change and tank vents through expansion and contraction it draws in moisture laden air. In the old days it condensed on the inside of the tank. Keep the tank full, less moisture settles in gas. With ethanol, the moisture is absorbed into the gas, keeping the tank full doesnt help, just makes for more bad gas. Still doesn't solve the solvent issue. alcohol in gas is a problem. More alcohol in the gas is a bigger problem.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by rick66
I read this post with interest and I noticed no one had mentioned what the car companies thought of E15.
Did you watch the video?
Old 12-29-2012, 05:04 PM
jimmies63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14,'17, '20-'21

Toyota has the warning on their gascaps now. I'd say they aren't convinced it is good yet.

http://farmprogress.com/blogs-turn-gas-cap-3188
Old 12-29-2012, 06:05 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jimmies63
Storing a gallon of gas in a container with stabilizer isnt a problem. A lot of equipment doesn't have a sealed system like the gas can or a modern car. I don't think my 63 is a sealed system. As temps change and tank vents through expansion and contraction it draws in moisture laden air. In the old days it condensed on the inside of the tank. Keep the tank full, less moisture settles in gas. With ethanol, the moisture is absorbed into the gas, keeping the tank full doesnt help, just makes for more bad gas. Still doesn't solve the solvent issue. alcohol in gas is a problem. More alcohol in the gas is a bigger problem.
I was actually referring to storing gasoline for small engine use in my statement. No problems here since I started using sealed containers for storage. Before that, yes.

Never had a problem with any of the five old cars I have sitting around. Some don't get started for a couple years. They've been on E 10 for 30 years or so. They sit idle with a nearly empty tank and no stabilizer.

Automobile manufacturers make cars designed for E 10 and some models are made for E 85 and have been doing that for 10 years or so. Nobody that I know of certifies their products for E 15 whether it be auto manufacturers or engine suppliers.

If you're having fuel related problems with E 10, you're missing some opportunities somewhere to avoid same.

Last edited by MikeM; 12-29-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:06 PM
rick66
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Did you watch the video?
I did watch the video. You clearly missed point. Let me try again. All of the earlier comments, prior to my initial one, were regarding the effects on engines, fuel lines, labeled the reporterettes as bimbos and of course the perfunctory degradation of Fox news. Including comments that the whole video was not factual. Not one comment mentioned the car company's perspective -even though it was mentioned throughout the "non-truthful" video. The car manufacturers views are easily verified and I did check that out.

Well, the car companies clearly have misgivings about E15 fuel. That is the elephant in the room.

Last edited by rick66; 12-29-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmies63
Toyota has the warning on their gascaps now. I'd say they aren't convinced it is good yet.

http://farmprogress.com/blogs-turn-gas-cap-3188
No one here or elsewhere has said that E15 is 'good' or even close to it. The E15 scam has been beaten to death long before this 'earth shattering' exposé from Fox was posted. Unfortunately but predictably, the subject was quickly diverted to E10 to thrash yet again all the same old predictions of doom and gloom. The usual cast of characters make their standard posts about having used E10 for 20-30 or more years in their cars without problems- me included. The sky-is-falling brigade drags out their stores about boats, old lawn mowers, chain saws etc.

The only group that never ever speaks up is cars owners that have actually been damaged by E10. How about that. The closest we get is people who are upset that 20 or 30 year old rubber components have failed and of course the ethanol (and only the ethanol) is to blame.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:06 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mike Ward

......and of course the ethanol (and only the ethanol) is to blame.
There is a lot more changes involved in today's gasoline than just ethanol as compared to yesterday's fuel. Getting rid of acetone, benzine and other light stuff is part of the equation too and maybe that's why some areas have problems and some don't as not all refiners blend their gasoline the same.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:43 PM
aafadca
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The corn lobbyists have been around a long time. I have nothing against farmers ( I have them in my family) but it does make more sense for them to grow corn for food instead of fuel. I believe the "liberal" /"conservative" crap is just that...crap. It's money and influence that seems to speak in Washington. And neither side seems to be immune to it. So how about taking the politics to a differnt forum. Most of us come here to get away from that nonsense.
Originally Posted by JohnZ
Lisa Jackson, the head of the EPA who masterminded getting the Supreme Court to agree that C02 is a greenhouse gas and EPA should regulate it, and who pushed the introduction of E15 gas to make the ethanol producers happy (and rich), announced yesterday that she is leaving the administration. She had zero knowledge of technology, and we'll probably get another know-nothing liberal as her replacement.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:59 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by aafadca
The corn lobbyists have been around a long time. I have nothing against farmers ( I have them in my family) but it does make more sense for them to grow corn for food instead of fuel. I believe the "liberal" /"conservative" crap is just that...crap. It's money and influence that seems to speak in Washington. And neither side seems to be immune to it. So how about taking the politics to a differnt forum. Most of us come here to get away from that nonsense.
In case you haven't noticed, it's no longer possible to discuss the rash of ill-advised government public policy initiatives involving the EPA's regulatory stance (including the ludicrous logic behind the E15 introduction) without involving "politics", particularly the politics of those currently in charge. That's just the way it is - don't blame me - I didn't vote for any of them.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:20 PM
TheGanzman
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In case you haven't noticed, it's no longer possible to discuss the rash of ill-advised government public policy initiatives involving the EPA's regulatory stance (including the ludicrous logic behind the E15 introduction) without involving "politics", particularly the politics of those currently in charge. That's just the way it is - don't blame me - I didn't vote for any of them.
And it will REMAIN this way unless or until we have a viable 3rd party. I didn't vote for any of them either; it's like picking the leper with the most fingers to make your BBQ sandwich - no matter WHICH choice you make, you're gonna end up eating something you're not gonna like...
Old 12-29-2012, 08:26 PM
aafadca
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

In case you haven't noticed, the previous administration left us in worst shape than we've been in for MANY years (and I'm not a Bush hater) If you think it can take JUST 4 years to correct it, then oh well. Once again, no political party has all the answers or causes all the problems. Now, no more political discussions for me

Quick Reply: You Must watch this bad gas