C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

HELP! What is it worth....

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 12:14 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratty68
Talked to him, tons of pics on photobucket.

It seems to be correct number matching, based on my call and having my C2 guru look at.
Seems to be a 350 hp car, correct carb, manifold, etc.

If I had 30K to pop into it, and a desire to have a pristine car....
Too much to bring it to driver status for my tastes.

He didn't know about frame, he is not a vette guy, he buys barns full of stuff, everything from 32 fords to late model tahoes.

From what i saw, i would think there is a frame in the cars future...

http://s1189.beta.photobucket.com/us.../66%20corvette

Hopefully somebody saves it.
I would not dismiss this car so quickly. I have a good friend picked up a 65 L79 roadster looking very very similar to this one year ago, from the same kind of seller. Same neglected looking condition, but carpets in better shape. (carpets are cheap) Remnants of a trailer hitch welded to surface rusted frame. Consignment shop, not corvette specialized. Priced at $39K. Close inperson inspection revealed: Original under 90K miles, all born with drive train, mostly original paint, undamaged nose, rear, unhit body, super dry frame still with shim marks, part no.stencil, and date showing. Incredibly unmolested in all important areas. He got it for $31K. Spent one year going over brakes, fuel lines, replacing leaky heater core, water pump, alternator, cleaning up engine, hoses, belts, cleaning/dyeing carpet, grinding off hitch parts from frame, and myriad other stuff. Was driving it after about 4 months, and showed it in chapter NCRS meet at 10 months, would have made TF if horn had not glitched in OPS check. (it worked driving off judge field!)
Bottom line, this could be a very good car at a steal of a price.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by paulywannafly
Funny how the internet changed the whole landscape of buying and selling cars , Made the world closer except when you actually have to pick the car up. used to be rare to have a car move more than 100 miles away .
It helped and hurt everybody at the same time too
Old 12-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 810 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
I dont agree, plenty of times a Forum member will say, that car is near me I can check it out for you. I have had guys check cars out and checked cars out for people. A plane to NC can be had for 500 both ways. Transport 500. I would rather spend the trip and get a car with a good frame and original nose because it was 500 miles away. You can pay an inspector 250 to check it out for you if you want. Not all cars are within 100 miles of us.
Totally agree. If you are selective, and you spend a lot of time talking with the seller before hand, the trip is cheap insurance. There is nothing like buying a misrepresented car sight unseen. You will pay a heavy price.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:55 PM
Ratty68
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
Totally agree. If you are selective, and you spend a lot of time talking with the seller before hand, the trip is cheap insurance. There is nothing like buying a misrepresented car sight unseen. You will pay a heavy price.
Did the 7 hour road trip to see Daytona location car.

Could get two fingers in frame. Was thinking of offer, with idea of frame swap/repair, but spent time to get upside down under dash to look at birdcage, and backed away from this one.

Good car if you want a matching numbers, pretty original car that needs full resto.

As Dan said, a misrepresented car sucks. I do not fault sellers too much, as they are not corvette guys. Still, when i left, there were two piles of rust chips under the car.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratty68
Did the 7 hour road trip to see Daytona location car..................backed away from this one
I have been on the quest for my next '63 for quite a while.
I also have made several road trips like you describe and each time I have walked away empty handed.
BUT, it gave me the sense of satisfaction of knowing that I did not miss the opportunity to find the one "diamond in the rough" that I know is still out there

Last edited by Rich Yanulis; 12-30-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:50 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I don't think you have to be a "Corvette guy" to know that you are selling a vintage car with rusty 'innards' at an unreasonable price. I looked at a bunch of cars in the last year and the sellers of the ones with body rot all looked sheepishly guilty when I found it right off. They clearly knew what was going on...and some of them could care less if you drove 7 hours or 7 days if there is a chance they could unload their 'white elephant' on you.

After passing on a rusty SWC with a NOM last fall that I'd driven two hours to see the owner was texting me about every 1/2 hour during the ride home with a lowered price - pretty funny.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-30-2012 at 11:52 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP! What is it worth....