C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 '56 Ignition switched stuck

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 02:28 AM
Buggles
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C1 '56 Ignition switched stuck

Hi all,
I replaced my wiring harness and was having troubles with the temp gauge. During debugging of the temp gauge problem my ignition switch has become stuck in the ON position. Occasionally I can get it to move to START, but it wont go back to OFF or LOCK. I did nothing to the ignition switch except turn it on and off a number of times. The issue now is I cannot get the switch out without removing the lock barrel which can't happen with the switch in the position it is in. Any suggestions?
Regards,
Craig
Old 12-29-2012, 06:24 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

The internals are probably worn out. Other than lubing the inside up real well and jiggling the snot out of the key to get it into the LOCK position you might have to drill out the central cylinder and tumbler assembly. Prob means a new ignition cylinder. They are available in reproduction - the issue is getting your old key (IF it isn't worn out too) to work with the new assembly or else a new key won't work in the doors/trunk/glove box.

IIRC a locksmith could re-key the ignition to work with the old key.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:40 AM
Buggles
Cruising

Hi Frank,
Thanks for that. I thought those were my options, but was hoping for some other miracle solution. The barrel and key are relatively new repros.
Regards,
Craig
Old 12-29-2012, 06:49 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

If the barrel and key are that new then I'd look the key over carefully and file off and deburr any rough edges or nicks and keep trying it..but you may just be out of luck.
Worth a shot though.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:41 PM
Buggles
Cruising

With a lot of INOX sprayed down the barrel and a fair amount of force I managed to get it to twist back to off. It was as I suspected, the plate that holds the springs and key plates in had dislodged inside the switch. The barrel is toast, the inside of the switch has lots of grooves and bit worn off, but it still works. I swapped the key plates out of the original lock (never throw anything away) and I am back to operational. I will try and post some pictures later today. Going for a drive in it now.
Regards,
Craig
Old 12-30-2012, 07:17 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Very creative fix. Yes never throw anything away!

Get notified of new replies

To C1 '56 Ignition switched stuck

Quick Reply: C1 '56 Ignition switched stuck