C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Seeking pointers removing Hurst Competition Plus 4-Speed Shifter out of 1960 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 03:15 PM
638HP
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Seeking pointers removing Hurst Competition Plus 4-Speed Shifter out of 1960 Corvette

Ready to tackle replacing my Hurst Competition Plus Shifter and linkage with a stock 1960 Corvette shifter and linkage. Seeking pointers on the following:
1. Is it possible to remove the Hurst Shifter and linkage without dropping the Tranny? If so, how many bolts and where are they located that hold the Shifter assembly to the Tranny?
2. Are the Hurst Shifter Levers identical to the stock Shifter Levers or will I need to replace?

Thank you in advanced.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:35 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

No need to drop the tranny. You'll need to swap the complete set-up. The shifter, levers and rods are not interchangeable. It will be obvious what needs to be removed once you're under there. If you have a lift or access to one, it makes the job fairly easy.

Jim
Old 12-30-2012, 03:38 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

1)I have a Hurst shifter in my 62. It's been a few years since I've had to pull it. If I remember right, I had to take the shifter handle off from inside the car, then unbolt the trans, and rotate it about 45 degrees, to remove the shifter and linkage. I have a Muncie in my 62, where the original trans was a BW T-10, so this may have some bearing on the process.

2)I'm pretty sure that you'll need to use the levers for the stock shifter, as they're shaped differently.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:24 PM
638HP
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 81 Posts

OK, I have all the linkage removed. I have the lower bolt removed that holds the Shifter Assembly to the T10 Tranny case. For the life of me, I can not located any other bolts that appear to hold the Shifter Assembly to the either the Tranny case or attached bracket.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:15 AM
SIXTYTWO
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

There are 2 bolts that hold the Hurst shifter to the transmission. If you have removed the bottom one there should also be another in the top center of the shifter body up near the handle. Once you remove the shifter mechanism there is a special bracket bolted to the transmission that needs to come out. Three small bolts hold it in.
Your stock shifter will now bolt directly to the transmission with 3 mounting bolts.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Roger K. Fain
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing Hurst Shifter

You must first support the engine under the bellhousing, jack up the engine after removing the trans.crossmember bolts. Then remove the crossmember from the "X" frame and lower the engine/trans. to allow you to get to the two 2 1/2" bolts securing the Hurst shifter. Remove the trans. levers and rods from the shifter and trans. from the bottom, and then you should have room to minagulate the shifter down to you.
Then remove the Hurst mounting plate from the trans. and bolt the original shifter on the trans. and reverse the process of raising the trans, etc.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:18 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

my handle is not removable. i have to drop down the rear transmission crossmember, remove the rear mount, pry the tailshaft housing over with a 2x4, and then loosen the bolts to remove the shifter from the adapter plate.
Bill
Old 12-31-2012, 05:12 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Some PO was thoughtful enough to leave a hole (s) in the side of my trans tunnel for shifter access, rather than make an NCRS type repair, I made a removable fiberglass piece to cover up the holes, you can't see it with the carpet installed.

Even without the holes, you can get the shifter in and out without unbolting the trans from the motor, sometimes it may be necessary to shimmy the trans to the right a bit, but even with my carpet and patch in position, I have been able to get the shifter bolt (with two bolts already pushed into their holes in the shifter body) up and down from the trans without unbolting the rear mount.

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To Seeking pointers removing Hurst Competition Plus 4-Speed Shifter out of 1960 Corvette

Quick Reply: Seeking pointers removing Hurst Competition Plus 4-Speed Shifter out of 1960 Corvette