C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need Advice / Head Light Doors.....Switch problem or ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Midyrman
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Default Need Advice / Head Light Doors.....Switch problem or ?

My headlight doors have worked off and on for years. When they would not work I would jiggle the wires behind the lamp door switch and that wouild work. Now they have stopped working.

I took the switch out and cleaned the contacts and reinstalled but to no avail as that did not work.

Any ideas of what the problem could be? Replace the switch or ?

Thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Which switch are you referring to? The ones at the headlight doors are tattle tale switches and will not effect operation of the motors. The switch mounted to the gauge cluster is where you might find you problem. Is it that one motor works or do both headlight motors fail at the same time?

David
Old 12-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Midyrman
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Default Switch under dash

David -

Both motors stopped working. The switch I am referring to is on the gauge cluster next to the hood latch release.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:03 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Measure for 12v on the switch. The supply wire should be hot all the time (comes through a circuit breaker). When you pull up on the switch to roll the headlights up, the 12v should also be on the yellow wire. If you don't have the 12v coming in go back toward the supply to see where you're missing it. If you do, go up front and measure. Could be a bad connection or bad ground wire. A meter will help you find it. The wires go through the left hand connector on the firewall, but you'd have to have two bad connections if it doesn't try to roll in either direction. One is for up the other for down.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:04 PM
VetteRed1965
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would take the switch apart again.Then work the open switch to see if it works.You can a screw driver to close the contacts. If it gets hot you need to clean the contacts again.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:12 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteRed1965
I would take the switch apart again.Then work the open switch to see if it works.You can a screw driver to close the contacts. If it gets hot you need to clean the contacts again.
Don't take the switch apart again unless it's bad. Either measure the voltage, or use a jumper from the 12v feed wire going to the switch and jump it to the yellow wire. If the headlights move, then you have a bad switch. You can buy a meter good enough to measure 12v at Harbor Freight for less than 10 bucks. If you mess up that switch, you'll spend a lot more.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Advice / Head Light Doors.....Switch problem or ?

Quick Reply: Need Advice / Head Light Doors.....Switch problem or ?